Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I cannot do little dogs. They irritate my sensibilities, somehow. Lucy and I are, unfortunately, in agreement on this, and I have to be quite vigilant not to have a dog murder at the end of her leash, at times. A standard poodle, though? I could get right behind. Very smart dogs.

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
I think some otherwise lovely dogs were bred as hunters, so chasing/murdering smaller animals is instinct (SQUIRREL!) and can't happily coexist with cats and smaller dogs. Greyhounds being one breed like that. Love them, but love cats too. Cats win.

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
Not hypoallergenic, but smallish, affectionate, smart and just really nice dogs: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
Agree. I picture Elizabeth Barrett Browning -- reclining on her chaise with her limpid-eyed Cavalier KC Spaniels. Her hair is arranged to mimic the flowing locks of their ears at the sides.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I solve that problem in a couple of ways. I also like cats, and currently have just one. Two strategies: Atwood has an escape route via a cat door to the basement; ALWAYS feed the cat(s) first at meal times to establish their superiority. It's worked, thus far. I don't know that I'd bring a kitten in here until Lucy's gone, but Lucy, a medium sized (55-60 lbs) doesn't weigh more than 3 times Atwood the enormous ragdoll, who is also armed with razor sharp claws, so it works. But honestly I lost my last cat while I had Lucy. She was 22 years old, weighed maybe 5 lbs., blind, deaf, and extremely demented. Lucy just treated her with doggy kid gloves. She knew who the alpha was in that relationship and it was the cat.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Not hypoallergenic, but smallish, affectionate, smart and just really nice dogs: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
Haven't been around them much, but if it weren't for the allergy factor that would be a breed I would be looking into. Beautiful dogs, and I think a size I could lift.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Agree. I picture Elizabeth Barrett Browning -- reclining on her chaise with her limpid-eyed Cavalier KC Spaniels. Her hair is arranged to mimic the flowing locks of their ears at the sides.
I have a dear church friend who recently lost her elderly Cavalier KC. She was originally from Toronto, and the first time I met them out walking, she was wearing a smart hat in the same wool plaid as doggy's little tailored jacket.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I have a dear church friend who recently lost her elderly Cavalier KC. She was originally from Toronto, and the first time I met them out walking, she was wearing a smart hat in the same wool plaid as doggy's little tailored jacket.
What a wonderful image.

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
I solve that problem in a couple of ways. I also like cats, and currently have just one. Two strategies: Atwood has an escape route via a cat door to the basement; ALWAYS feed the cat(s) first at meal times to establish their superiority. It's worked, thus far. I don't know that I'd bring a kitten in here until Lucy's gone, but Lucy, a medium sized (55-60 lbs) doesn't weigh more than 3 times Atwood the enormous ragdoll, who is also armed with razor sharp claws, so it works. But honestly I lost my last cat while I had Lucy. She was 22 years old, weighed maybe 5 lbs., blind, deaf, and extremely demented. Lucy just treated her with doggy kid gloves. She knew who the alpha was in that relationship and it was the cat.
Cats can make wonderful puppy moms, and I met a dog raised by a kitty. He respected her greatly given he was ill-disposed to most other creatures. You have a good strategy. Another friend who lives deep in the country with a huge shepherd does something similar. Her two cats are "ceiling cats" in that the own the upper floor and tables etc. Upper floor is gated and the cats can negotiate their way to the cat trees and other places downstairs without touching the floor. I pet sat for her and found it natural after awhile. The dog was a gentle giant who was jealous of the cats if they got too much attention. BIG dog, big scary bark (at chipmunks). I felt safe.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I am, at heart, a cat person. Were I to get a dog, I'd probably go with a miniature schnauzer. It's what I wanted when my family got a dog, because I liked my friend's schnauzer, but I got outvoted and we got a beagle instead.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
SO TRUE Bette! We had a Cavalier for many many years - adorable and adoring little love sponge that one was. We would have another except we envisioned travelling in retirement ... hmmm .... hopefully that will happen again ... if not, might be dog time!

@ChemGal - have you looked at Havanese dogs? Neighbour and a former colleague have them - so cute - small & fluffy but hypoallergenic. Maybe smaller than ChemGuy has in mind.

Be prepared to put in lots of training & socializing time with a poodle - if you do they are wonderful; if you don't they are a real pain because they are SO smart - they'll run the household like another neighbour's dog does - so obnoxious we hesitate to go over there, and it barks endlessly.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And then there are hounds. One of my neighbours moved in some 4 years ago, coincident with my being in England, and my daughter dog-sitting. At the time, I had two dogs: Lucy, a foxhound cross, and Buster, a purebred Basset Hound. On my return, I introduced myself to Sara, who rather tentatively responded with "and how many dogs exactly do you have?". Two hounds can sound like an entire "Hound of the Baskervilles" pack.

I don't like small terriers either. Schnauzers can be very bossy and very nippy.

ninjafaery

I just am
Reaction score
Not at all. Help yourself to an Old Speckled Hen (my other commercial UK fav). I love beer names in England.

I have often thought (I do occasionally pursue reincarnation ideas for fun) that I'd love to come back, just once, as a rich person, to test my own theories. Could I be 'good' with an excessive amount of money? I dunno. Money has never interested me much (which is usually a good predictor for someone who will not have a lot). I've had really broke periods (single parent with two kids and not much financial help from their dad), but lots of "just enough for my limited needs", and the odd trip thrown in (I do enjoy periodic visits to my family in the U.K.). I've been "clerical/administrative staff" my whole professional working life, in academic institutions, so I was always "reasonably well" paid, for "pink collar" type work and have a "just sufficient" little pension, which I supplement with a part-time job and a boarder downstairs.
I also had a pink career and was lucky enough to work in a field where the demand was always high, but I certainly didn't get ahead at all. I find though (and I imagine you do as well), I can use those skills well and benefit from them. I can live without a car (pain in the ass, but possible). I used to live this way once, and I'm doing it again. I love simple.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
When I had the two of them, a frequent cause of a baying incident would go like, Lucy hound enters room, Buster hound is so excited to see her (despite the fact that she attacks him and bites his ears ALL THE TIME) that he wags his sturdy low slung tail, which hits the door, or the edge of the desk, and the subsequent noise causes him to go into full hound bay, to which Lucy responds with crazy barking. Quite a few times a day, inside and out...

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
SO TRUE Bette! We had a Cavalier for many many years - adorable and adoring little love sponge that one was. We would have another except we envisioned travelling in retirement ... hmmm .... hopefully that will happen again ... if not, might be dog time!

@ChemGal - have you looked at Havanese dogs? Neighbour and a former colleague have them - so cute - small & fluffy but hypoallergenic. Maybe smaller than ChemGuy has in mind.

Be prepared to put in lots of training & socializing time with a poodle - if you do they are wonderful; if you don't they are a real pain because they are SO smart - they'll run the household like another neighbour's dog does - so obnoxious we hesitate to go over there, and it barks endlessly.
Smaller than Chemguy has in mind for sure, they are dogs I like.
I've been joking we can have our neighbours' dog, it's a little thing, poorly behaved. It belongs to the kids, they tend to leave doors open, their gate doesn't latch. It shows up in our backyard when we have our gate open, the front street, down the street, etc. In the last few weeks I had to go out once because it was looking to play in the yard, no clue how long it was there, I was doing work downstairs and kept noticing flashes of movement between the blinds. Then Chemguy had to go out when 2 girls showed up on our step asking if our dog had gotten loose. Cute, but doesn't listen whatsoever.

We will be doing a lot of training for certain. Like I said, ideal is a service dog, although I do recognize the probability a dog is capable of getting to that point even with the best training isn't the majority. We will try to get that though. I have trouble getting a lot of dogs to obey, and Chemguy is pretty good with dogs but poorly trained ones irritate him. We don't want me struggling with a poorly trained dog long term.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
We will try to get that though. I have trouble getting a lot of dogs to obey, and Chemguy is pretty good with dogs but poorly trained ones irritate him. We don't want me struggling with a poorly trained dog long term.
You will need both an experienced trainer for advice, and a pre-dog agreed-upon training schedule/system that you will both commit to.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I have trouble getting a lot of dogs to obey,
That's a total LOL. When I tell someone else's dog to do something, I expect that their general attitude will be WTF?

When I tell Lucy to "sit", I expect that she will do that.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Not at all. Help yourself to an Old Speckled Hen (my other commercial UK fav). I love beer names in England.

I have often thought (I do occasionally pursue reincarnation ideas for fun) that I'd love to come back, just once, as a rich person, to test my own theories. Could I be 'good' with an excessive amount of money? I dunno. Money has never interested me much (which is usually a good predictor for someone who will not have a lot). I've had really broke periods (single parent with two kids and not much financial help from their dad), but lots of "just enough for my limited needs", and the odd trip thrown in (I do enjoy periodic visits to my family in the U.K.). I've been "clerical/administrative staff" my whole professional working life, in academic institutions, so I was always "reasonably well" paid, for "pink collar" type work and have a "just sufficient" little pension, which I supplement with a part-time job and a boarder downstairs.
Piles of moni seem to support heaps of green stuff to worry about ... and thus critical processes are displaced!

Mary Trump wrote of this in her book about too much not being enough to some excessive worriers about what the common powers will extract from tyrants! Thus feudal conflict ... may resemble Schrodinger's Feud over feral cats ... those things out there and poorly understood as Kate, Katherine and other western Kitty's under Marshall Dillon! Rae Deire'd emissions ...