How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Great service today, with an embarassment of riches, sermon-wise. Theme of the service was "Ain't Necessarily So", with our vocally talented choir director, a lovely soprano from the choir, and our multi-talented pianist providing the theme song in two parts. Then three Voluntary Associate Ministers, our Minister Emeritus, and our current minister all described their "Ain't necessarily so" moments in their ministry/spiritual journey. It was really well done, illuminating, emotional (especially some memories of the 70s/80s/90s by an out gay man in his youth and early years of ministry), and our Emeritus' memory of discovering (from a pentecostal/baptist background), modern theology combined with ancient languages when he arrived at Mount Allison University in his late teens with some real certainties...

Church Council meeting tonight; gluten-free apple crisp is about to come out of the oven, and I need to look at next year's calendar before 6:30...

Sermon today was by our former minister Sheena Trotter-Dennis. She spoke on the letter from Paul to the Church in Corinth where he tells folks to live more expansively. A good sermon on how we can be more if we live more expansively and not just in our comfort zone with others like us. I always enjoyed Sheena's sermons when she was at Hillhurst so was good to have her in the pulpit again. Lot of stuff happened to me this week so was kind of exhausted and thought of staying home, but glad I ventured out to Church and also had a nice 40 km bike ride so feel better about facing what the new week may bring.

Funnily, the minister at W-K mentioned preaching at a covenanting service or something like that this aft. Same one, I wonder?
Don't think so. Guest preacher at the service tonight was Rev. Debbie Johnson - a favourite of mine. There are more 'covenanting services' popping up now - as communities of faith are now required to covenant with the Regional Council - I think maybe annually. Going to keep a few folks busy! The service I went to actually combined the covenanting of the new minister and the covenanting with RC. :)

I led worship at a two-point charge...last time to be the leader anywhere until the last Sunday in December!!! So I get to worship at my own church for Advent and Christmas. Yesterday's services went well, and one person approached me to say that it was just what he needed to hear. I am so grateful when that happens.

Church went on and on as the presenter also did an Elvis, folk, country, gospel concert in the afternoon!

Inclusive of some bone rattling rhythms ... some churches say the presenter is beyond god's bounds ... causing me to ask how God bounces over authorities putting God in a container? Is that effervescent like the springs in France? Some woman spied on gods there ... a bubbly medium as frothy? Quantum is another pseudonym ... there has to be more tuit ... more rounded than the straight liners ...

Church yesterday was wonderful – Spirit filled – inspiring – reassuring – challenging.

Actually it was part of the 10 hour retreat led by a former moderator, Rev. Peter and Susan Short..
About 40 of us met Friday evening at the church where we spent three hours, introductions, orientation, dinner (prepared by an adult and the teenagers of the church), worships an introduction of the theme.
Saturday morning we met again – at a Lodge surrounded by forest outside the city. Coffee and homemade muffins – then three hours devoted to worship, contemplation, music, sharing in small table groups or one-on-one - with some free time built into the schedule and an opportunity to go for a walk in the snow (rather cold but we bundled up and the wagon trail through the woods was sheltered from the breeze).
Dinner - heated on-site in a well-equipped kitchen by members of the group.
The three hours in the afternoon were much the same as the morning program with the addition of a craft time when we were H encouraged to make a Prayer Flag from materials provided. Some people make beautiful abstract designs with ribbons, buttons, glitter. I attempted one of the tranquil scene of the lake surrounded by trees, with an Eagle flying above (we had sung "On Eagles Wings") and a Jesus fish in the water. My unsteady hands and do a great job and my flag which will hang out on my back deck will look pretty primitive.
The final hour of our 10 hours together was on Sunday morning at our church where we joined with the rest of the congregation for worship led by Peter and incorporating some of the hymns, prayers, Scripture, and ideas that we had shared together the previous days.
Wonderful time - a diverse group of both men and women ranging in age from young adults to two people in their 85th year. There were people who had grown up in our church and one couple attending for the first time. Child care was provided Saturday at a different location, by two adult volunteers and the youth.
Seelerman and I both feel refreshed and renewed by our experiences at this, and other previous, retreats.
We appreciated the leadership provided by Peter and Sue.

Church yesterday was wonderful – Spirit filled – inspiring – reassuring – challenging.

Actually it was part of the 10 hour retreat led by a former moderator, Rev. Peter and Susan Short..
About 40 of us met Friday evening at the church where we spent three hours, introductions, orientation, dinner (prepared by an adult and the teenagers of the church), worships an introduction of the theme.
Saturday morning we met again – at a Lodge surrounded by forest outside the city. Coffee and homemade muffins – then three hours devoted to worship, contemplation, music, sharing in small table groups or one-on-one - with some free time built into the schedule and an opportunity to go for a walk in the snow (rather cold but we bundled up and the wagon trail through the woods was sheltered from the breeze).
Dinner - heated on-site in a well-equipped kitchen by members of the group.
The three hours in the afternoon were much the same as the morning program with the addition of a craft time when we were H encouraged to make a Prayer Flag from materials provided. Some people make beautiful abstract designs with ribbons, buttons, glitter. I attempted one of the tranquil scene of the lake surrounded by trees, with an Eagle flying above (we had sung "On Eagles Wings") and a Jesus fish in the water. My unsteady hands and do a great job and my flag which will hang out on my back deck will look pretty primitive.
The final hour of our 10 hours together was on Sunday morning at our church where we joined with the rest of the congregation for worship led by Peter and incorporating some of the hymns, prayers, Scripture, and ideas that we had shared together the previous days.
Wonderful time - a diverse group of both men and women ranging in age from young adults to two people in their 85th year. There were people who had grown up in our church and one couple attending for the first time. Child care was provided Saturday at a different location, by two adult volunteers and the youth.
Seelerman and I both feel refreshed and renewed by our experiences at this, and other previous, retreats.
We appreciated the leadership provided by Peter and Sue.
I experienced Peter at Berwick Camp- really liked his leadership/ preaching.

Seeler...I've never been on a retreat like this, but it sounds wonderful! Because I would like to see something like this done at our summer camp (I'm still on the Board for it although I had wanted to resign....long story!) We have a free weekend the last week in August, and I would love to put forth a proposal for a retreat. Forgive me for asking such a basic question though: Did it cost you money? And was it organized by your church? Who was invited? My idea is to have a retreat for the local clergy.

Sunday was our Memorial Hymn Sing so we mostly sang hymns and read lists of names.

George Street has never done this before and was very interested to know that I have done several. I have no idea yet how much it raised (a pretty easy fundraiser for a congregation) yet. Should know by Sunday morning I expect.

Our play list included:

Abide With Me
Be Still My Soul
Jesus Loves Me
Precious Lord
Come O Fount Of Every Blessing
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
The Lord's My Shepherd
Great I Thy Faithfulness

Not a noticeable increase in attendance for the service, however; there was a very noticeable increase in participation when it came time to sing. Which everyone noted and appreciated.

I received many compliments on the Remembrance Sermon from the week before (I was hard to get ahold of after that service) as our dignitaries (the Lt. Gov. Mayor, RCMP, and Royal Canadian Coast Guard honour parties) were very happy to talk about the sermon afterwards. There were photo ops also. I have to call VOWR, apparently, they recorded the service and broadcast it. I got calls from all over the island from folks who know me letting me know they had listened to it and appreciated the sermon a great deal.

The Coast Guard Honour Party had previous commitments so they had to leave before we gathered for this pic.

Attachments

• A whole lot of royal going on.jpg
    A whole lot of royal going on.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2
Water main break caused our church to close yesterday. Our church was fine but the roads around it were river-like. So I went to a different church, and was one of 6 from my church sitting together. It was a great service...and a very full sanctuary, which is a nice feeling too. It didn't feel like a church working hard to survive, but a church working hard to be the church in the world. I liked that. But I have to tell you about the water problem that caused our church to close: the public utilities was aware of it from the night before, but it didn't occur to them that it would affect anyone so they were in no hurry to deal with it. When they received a call from our church they said: "Oh...there's a church service today?" I sent a message to their customer service e-mail explaining that Sunday, and especially first Sunday in Advent, is pretty important to a number of people. Even though we are not a business or a school, Sunday church attendance is important to a number of people. I hope it makes them think a little differently about some things!

I found church very thought provoking yesterday. The theme of Hope was good for my current situation. She linked it to the Spanish word for hope which has three meanings. I enjoyed that.

We've only been attending this church since the fall. We're liking it and are finding it very friendly and welcoming.

My wife and I have been going to a new church since September. She found it and went by herself a couple of times. I joined her after a while, and we have been enjoying it a lot. It is a congregation of the Mennonite Church Canada - a progressive Mennonite denomination. They keep many of the traditional low church practices I love while being politically and socially progressive. It is located in an inner-city neighbourhood and has congregants from all ages and walks of life, real diversity.

And though they are a Mennonite (and thus Anabaptist) congregation, they do not rebaptise people, which I find neat. Should we decide to join the congregation, we need to do a Profession of Faith. Another cool fact is that Winnipeg is home to the Canadian Mennonite University - they have spectacular faculty, excellent infrastructure, and offer three different graduate theological degrees. So I would be able to do my theological studies without leaving Winnipeg, which is good due to the success I am having at work.

This congregation, in particular, has simple, yet liturgical services, generally accompanied by the organ with some songs being by the piano. Overall, the structure is similar to Reformed services: Call to Worship, hymn, confession and assurance, hymn, scripture reading, sermon, hymn, prayers of the people, blessing, hymn, and sending.

The sermons are on a rather classical format, yet very streamlined and straightforward: an exegesis of the text, explanation of the cultural-historical context, and interpretation/prescription for our lives today. The best thing, however, is that they have adult Sunday school all Sundays and almost everyone attends. The topics are interesting, thought-provoking, with very mature and sophisticated approaches. After the speaker finishes, people do engage in rich discussions.

Very nice church service today...Our choir did a great job; the Sunday School did a cute presentation; the Minister read scripture and provided some commentary that got one thinking. It felt exactly like a Christmas Sunday should feel.

I probably should have stayed in bed and pulled the covers over my head. Ha ha a stressful week which meant I was not real focused in worship this day. Rev Don was talking about incarnation. So my mind wanders back to when I was a kid and mom had Carnation Evaporated milk for Christmas baking. All I could think was, “Mom I’m trapped in Carnation! Hurry up with the can opener!” Guess the mind is okay to wander some Sunday’s. Ha ha maybe Christmas Eve I will be more focused on what the sermon is actually about.

I believe church was good. Low attendance today as it fell between our annual Candlelight Service the evening of December 15 and our two Christmas Eve services. Some of our regulars are leaving for various places from Kelowna to Montreal over the next few days. Temperature today in Deep River, ON was in the low negative digits which was a treat after the past week. Soon after I began ministry here, I started putting up my sermon notes on the screen and still get appreciative comments from members of the congregation. A treat for the congregation was having my wife, daughter, and new granddaughter doing the candle-lighting.

Back