How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I went to a different United church today - not too far from me, but a more 'inner city' vibe to that neighbourhood. I liked the multi-ethic group that was gathered there. I think I miss that mix of ethnicity since retiring from work - and being surrounded by more suburban WASP folks at church. Sermon was good, down to earth and relevant, although I was surprised to see the minister in a black robe & clerical collar, which seems so 'old school conservative' to me. Apparently the music director & about half the choir had called in sick ... so music was adequate with a fill-in pianist. I think I will go a few more times & see what's happening there.

Nancy

Reaction score
This sounds like a sermon I would love to hear! I led worship today and called the message "Opposing forces". I hope it was inspirational. I love Epiphany music, and after a couple of the songs I said...Well, you don't really need a sermon: This song says it all!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
The church I attend is dying and are not cognizant of the how, when, where and why ...

Some concern was raised over having a proper minister available for the rites of Communion ... they appear to be unready to speak of options to tradition ... non-traditional communion as AGAPE?

If we changed could we learn something? It seems so irrational ... but it does form a stick standing out in the field theo Ra ...

There are those that say there is no other theory for the peace of mankind but brute force and violence ... BULLY-bully! Ferdinand the gentile bulloch is out there ... all hidden in the mythology! De NUT'd one ... OCHm'n!

Are you aware that ochm'n is a non-translatable expression ... like omega'd ... an alien expression to say least! C'est fini? Could be ...

The roue'stands ... sometimes dancing ...

Seeler

Reaction score
For the second Sunday in a row we've had bad weather. Last weekend it was snow, then freezing rain and ice pellets, followed by more snow. Then cold temperatures freezing everything outside. Seelerman found that he couldn't's chip away the ice in the driveway to get to bare pavement. Today it's been snowing steady since the early morning hours – big flakes that it piled up maybe a foot of snow. Unlike Newfoundland's big storm there was little wind or drifting. The snow has tapered off to a few flurries now. It actually looks quite pleasant out. But the streets weren't plowed this morning and even now there is a pile of snow on the car and the driveway not blown out.
Two weeks we were not able to get church.
Our church didn't close but send out a notice that people decide for themselves whether it would be wise to come. Some people live within walking distance, or skiing, or have the vehicle that can handle the weather. 10 years ago I might have tried to get there myself. But now I'm just hunkering down and letting WC 2 be my church.
I'm thinking of homeless people and hope that they have found shelter. And of the people of Newfoundland the were almost buried in last week's storm and have today's storm heading their way.

Perhaps it is ironic that our minister recently retired and we were planning a luncheon for her last week. It was postponed to this Sunday and postponed again. Maybe we shouldn't have it on Sunday :giggle: but plan it for another day of the week.

ion

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Last Sday meeting was at my place, but because of the storm, nobody showed up. Tis Sunday it was snowing uite a bit, but the house of the other friend was only 3 km away. Wolfville had even ploughed the sidewalks already despite it still snowing quite a bit. Others were in walking distance. After worship we connected with two friends by phone, one in the neighbourhood and one in NFL , to make decisions about a retreat in March. Worship included a group driveway shovelling action.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
But now I'm just hunkering down and letting WC 2 be my church.
I hear you about this. Maybe join me in watching the livestream of worship from Hillhurst UC in Calgary - John Pentland's church. I really enjoyed it the past two weeks. But factor in the time zone difference :)

Nancy

Reaction score
Our minister swapped pulpits with an Anglican minister yesterday, in honour of Christian Unity Sunday (didn't know that was a thing before yesterday!) The worship service was quite wonderful. I talked with several people afterwards who said the same thing...We felt it was fully a worship and praise experience that uplifted and valued our church community. I am one who appreciates a good sermon, and she delivered one that was informative as well as inspiring. A good experience.

Seeler

Reaction score
It's hard to believe but for the third Sunday in a row where there has been a big factor in church attendance. After beautiful weather all week sometime early Sunday morning we had sleet and freezing rain. We awoke to everything – car, driveway, street – covered with a fine sheet of ice. By 10 a clock the temperature had risen to the melting point. We got ready for church and Seelerman cleaned off the car. He helped me the few steps between the house and the car, we eased along the side streets of our subdivision until we hit the main artery – it was salted and sanded. So was the church parking lot.
Probably about the third to a quarter of the usual congregation where there. The service was warm and friendly, the small choir sitting in the front pews near the piano rather than in the choir loft with the pipe organ. The Minister, who usually spends less time with the children and youth, lettuce and worship. (The minister who usually led in worship retired at the first of the year.)
Coffee and conversation was held in the parlour rather than the gym – much warmer and more friendly. The farewell party planned for after worship was again postponed. But people had already prepared sandwiches so we were able to have lunch before we left for the trip home. Thankfully the ice had melted to slush by then.

Nancy

Reaction score
Seeler...this is becoming a lengthy farewell at your church! I hope people get back into the habit of church after all of this is over.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
We talked and talc'd about tels and ends ... heintz ... and other hei NĐZ as integral to means ... of survival in alternate form!

Usually a waste ... as tels in the William shot at the fruit in the tree of knowledge ... all was lost because of the shot in the dark! Shadowy deviation!

Get to know the mystique of the unknown ...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Comfortable; the search for avoiding the truth that hurts much of the social sol ... thus pleasing outfit that covers up for the pain to the others that are learning about tyrannical dicta-Zion ...

May be a shadowy force ... OHM!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
A nice service, our Black History Month service. Nice hymns, choir did well, lovely video clip about Oscar Peterson; some nice jazz background delivered on our lovely old grand by our talented pianist during a litany of accountability. Message included some forward thinking news about up and coming younger people of colour; Matt Galloway of the CBC was one.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
I couldn’t find into the silence at worship today, too much running through my head of work, upcoming travel. Then some lunch and talk together after in community ( we were five today) and I took off to another talk of the series
“ The nature of Nature and humans within”- this time about ecosystems and biosphere. A group of about thirty interested listeners in a small fishing village community centre. And there it happened. Listening to the great scheme of things from the individual to the community, the ecosystem and the biosphere, humans just being one mammal among others, a peaceful calm came over me which I haven’t felt for a while.

Seeler

Reaction score
Mrs. anteater, thanks for sharing. Sometimes we meet the Holy in unexpected places, not necessarily in the church building. Can I tell this story away in the corner of my brain; perhaps I will use it if I am asked to lead worship again.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
Off for a bit of rest and relaxation. Received a wonderful commentary on the Big Red Church by a neighbourhood.

“In my neighbourhood there is a big beautiful church, officially named Gordon-King Memorial United Church, but known fondly as the Big Red Church. It is home to some of the friendliest people I have ever met and it is rapidly becoming a vibrant community hub for Glenelm.

What can I say about this lovely congregation? These folks are truly walking the talk of “loving thy neighbour” and it’s a boon to our neighbourhood that they are so committed to this principle. From knitting clubs and all-ages/instrument jams, to climate strike delegations and parents morning out, to the community gardens and bulletin board, and the famous Gordie’s Coffee House, there are so many great things happening that that have nothing to do with religion. While I’m no longer a church person, and my spiritual beliefs are not as straightforward as they once were, I grew up in the United Church so this place feels very familiar and comfortable to me. That said, I believe that many find this space as welcoming and free of agenda as I do.

Oh, and the sight of this majestic building brings me joy every time I pass by. Simply beautiful. I especially love seeing on a Thursday night, all lit up with the coffee house crowd inside, glowing in the night.

I’m super grateful to have such a great neighbour in the Big Red Church!”

You just never know

Blip, blip, blip....
Reaction score
Worshipped at Knox today. Minister was Rev. Tara Livingston, an Anglican priest. Sermon was about Valentine's Day and relationships, both romantic and otherwise. Was nice that she took time in her sermon to recognize single folks as well. Closing music was an exuberant gospel song by the choir. Glad I ventured out and attended a worthwhile service.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Ugh. Annual Congregational Meeting. Our dear Chair is something of a plodder, I was stuck playing secretary, went on too long. I like combining the meeting with worship, but it can drag. Started at 10, not done til 12:15. Thank Godde for potlucks; that part was nice. And I had a 90th birthday party to go to this aft, and that was lovely.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
We also had annual meeting today, 2 of them, in fact. We discussed and deliberated a lot, and maybe even accomplished something. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.