Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

EasternOrthodox

I'm curious about decisions regarding 2nd shots. We got Moderna and were told to get a second Moderna shot. However, that vaccine is in short supply now. What will happen? Without a crystal ball I have no clue! Having said that I seriously doubt the people making these decisions have a crystal ball either.
BC is saying four months for the second dose. That is longer than recommended but we have to make do.

We continue to have shortages in places.

EasternOrthodox

I disagree with a lot of what's being stated here. I think an open culture about this is beneficial. Work situations are a bit different. How someone got the vaccine is a different question than why someone is in the phase they are in

I think it would be better for the article to have tips on how to do it politely, what situations it's not appropriate and to just be respectful if people don't dish to discuss it.
This is certainly the case for people in different provinces. BC has accelerated some people. My sister and her husband qualified as he had diabetes and she takes immune suppressing drugs for rheumatoid arthritis. It was only about two weeks earlier. But my sister said different provinces had different lists of conditions.

EasternOrthodox

I wonder if we will see a big decrease in vaccines now that India has, understandably, cancelled exports

it sounds very scary in India and they certainly need all the vaccines they can get

here, schools are shut again, seeing as it is the end of April it is hard to imagine they will get back to in school classes. Teachers still trying to push to be at the front of the line. But seeing as day cares are working, it’s feels like they should get pushed to the front of the line
Yes, India is in bad shape. Very sad to read. Their PM, who must be something of a Covid minimizer, let a major Hindu festival, involving large numbers of people, go ahead. They are also being hit by new variants. Apparently India cancelled exports a while back.

EasternOrthodox

My understanding if the 3rd isn't about getting full protection but moreso about ongoing protection plus there's a good chance the 3rd won't be the same as the 1st 2, but will be altered to better match variants.

I'm with you though I have concerns about the schedule being used across Canada
It is?

I thought none of the covid vaccines were live
It’s inactivated somehow. Apparently AZ is made using tried and true methods. I read that it was available in the Lower Mainland at drug stores. It does not require the very cold temperatures of the mRNA vaccines, but just plain refrigeration. That’s why it can be given at drug stores.

Waterfall

Yes, India is in bad shape. Very sad to read. Their PM, who must be something of a Covid minimizer, let a major Hindu festival, involving large numbers of people, go ahead. They are also being hit by new variants. Apparently India cancelled exports a while back.
And Canada has cancelled passenger air travel from India....but now they say theres a loophole ( isnt there always?) one only has to book a flight to Frankfurt and then another to Toronto or fly to Detroit or Buffalo and then drive across the border.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
And Canada has cancelled passenger air travel from India....but now they say theres a loophole ( isnt there always?) one only has to book a flight to Frankfurt and then another to Toronto or fly to Detroit or Buffalo and then drive across the border.
It should be based on passport, not flight. If you try to board a flight to Canada with an Indian passport, sorry. Or at least follow the alleged protocol and make them present a negative test and isolate on arrival in Canada. But we already know how well that has been working.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
It’s inactivated somehow. Apparently AZ is made using tried and true methods. I read that it was available in the Lower Mainland at drug stores. It does not require the very cold temperatures of the mRNA vaccines, but just plain refrigeration. That’s why it can be given at drug stores.
It's not inactivated in a way we refer to vaccines as inactivated typically. It's attenuated and isn't capable of replicating. It's a bit different that old vaccines but it's being recognized as a live organism by some classifications.

As groupings viral vectors are a bit of a different group than weakened vaccines, especially where it is the original pathogen but weakened.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
It's not inactivated in a way we refer to vaccines as inactivated typically. It's attenuated and isn't capable of replicating. It's a bit different that old vaccines but it's being recognized as a live organism by some classifications.

So my understanding is that a vaccine with a live virus would have the possibility of making me sick. Would that be the case with AZ?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
So my understanding is that a vaccine with a live virus would have the possibility of making me sick. Would that be the case with AZ?
Not in terms of a viral infection. Since it can't replicate what you get is what's in the vaccine, it's not duplicating in the body.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Wood Buffalo has requested more vaccine. With Alberta often lagging behind what we get would be nice to actually see that request met. Quite a few of the workers wouldn't even have an Alberta Health Care Card.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Kind of an interesting idea. London Public Library and Middlesex County Library are pitching in to help the health unit contact people over 70 who may not have received their shot yet. With libraries running in low gear (curbside pickup of hold placed online mostly), keeps the staff employed and gives the health units some resources to help with this task.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Alberta will be vaccinating kids down to the age of 12 with health conditions. A doctor's note is required for those under the age of 16 - not sure if that's by birth year ie. 11 and 15 year olds get included aged up with later birthdays.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
@Northwind since my earlier posts were mostly in response to you - I guess Canada isn't calling the viral vector vaccines live ones. Info wasn't available when they were first approved here as to how they were referring to the viral vector vaccines beyond viral vector vaccines, I was going off of European info, details are the same but just how they slate them overall is a bit different, since really it's a separate group overall.

Non-replicating viral vector vaccines​

This vaccine is a type of non-live vaccine that uses a harmless virus as a delivery system. The virus used is not the virus that causes the disease.

Once inside the body, the instructions in the genes teach our cells how to make proteins that will trigger an immune response. Once triggered, our bodies then make antibodies and other immune responses. These immune responses help us fight the infection to prevent us from getting sick. You can’t get a disease from a viral vector vaccine.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Doses/100,000 delivered to provinces:
38271Ontario
38260Quebec
37358British Columbia
35586Alberta
38003Manitoba
36438Saskatchewan
35335Nova Scotia
35510New Brunswick
36065Newfoundland and Labrador
36458Prince Edward Island
128807Yukon
124915Northwest Territories
106406Nunavut
If it's supposed to be equal, than make it equal. Alberta is doing a good job of delivering, the Moderna gap is now gone. Look at the gaps of other provinces and even when we had that gap, it wasn't as big as what's still being seen with some.

Wood Buffalo has no extra Pfizer/Moderna they are either used or scheduled to be given to someone specific, it's all AZ now that people who don't have appointments can get, and those can't even be given to the most populated age group there.

Lastpointe

Personally I don’t think it should be equal. It should be according to need. Unfortunately the needs change quickly. Read today that if Alberta was its own country its Covid level would be fifth highest in the world. That should put Alberta at the top and way ahead of any maritime province. Ontario coming in at 11 th in the world. Except that absolute numbers in Ontario are highest and hospitals are full

and it changes so quickly. A couple of weeks ago, when we entered our most recent stay at home orders Ontario had close to 5000 cases a day. That seems to have dropped now to 3500+/- So big improvement. Yet cases are younger and sicker And stay longer in hospital. I expect that is because they are basically healthier people so they live through the acute phase but require longer hospitalization. Where in the first wave the elderly died quite quickly.

none of this would be an issue if there were enough vaccines.
I also wonder about the 75% or so of the population that needs to be immunized for herd immunity that they toss around all the time

are we including children in this percentage? Under 18’s make up around 11 million canadians. So approximately 1/3 that will never get vaccinated until they change some guidelines. So are we talking about 75% of the adults only? or 75% of the country. At which point we need to include the children? The USA is now doing children over 12.

the lack of consistency in facts and figures is annoying. The lack of vaccines is frustrating. The lack of transparency is infuriating. And the smugness of Trudeau and his “ I wouldn’t change anything” response is mind boggling