Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Daily immunizations have dropped off here, likely because there's just so little supply. Over 95% used. Some people are getting 2nd appointments now, so not much sitting that's available to be used.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Ontario updated plan was released today and, wow, talk about getting aggressive. And this only covers the mRNA shots being done through health units. There's also the parallel AZ program through pharmacies and primary care. End of May for all Ontario adults to have a first shot booked seems a bit optimistic given progress so far, but MLHU at least says they can do it as long as the get enough vaccine. I assume other health units are similarly prepared.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Honestly, if every other unit has mobilized with the efficiency of the SMHU, we'll be golden. It's Peel, York and Toronto we should be really focussing on, I think.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
It's Peel, York and Toronto we should be really focussing on, I think.
And that's where most of the vaccine dedicated to hotspots (25% of next week's supply, 50% of the next two weeks after that) is going, though I hear there is one in Oxford County just down the road from here.

paradox3

Honestly, if every other unit has mobilized with the efficiency of the SMHU, we'll be golden. It's Peel, York and Toronto we should be really focussing on, I think.
The hospital and city clinics in Toronto were operating very efficiently until vaccine supply became an issue. Mr Paradox and I were very impressed. We had to look for spots on the booking systems but it wasn't a big deal to get our appointments.

There's more of a hodgepodge going on now with parallel systems in place. My neighborhood has a designated clinic for hard to reach individuals (black, indigenous and Francophone persons, in this case). There are pharmacies, some of which are offering overnight walk in appointments. Also we have pop up clinics for designated postal codes which often involve long lineups and wait times.

Education workers have been designated priority for vaccinations but there is lots of confusion about how they are to gain access.

KayTheCurler

Ontario updated plan was released today and, wow, talk about getting aggressive. And this only covers the mRNA shots being done through health units. There's also the parallel AZ program through pharmacies and primary care. End of May for all Ontario adults to have a first shot booked seems a bit optimistic given progress so far, but MLHU at least says they can do it as long as the get enough vaccine. I assume other health units are similarly prepared.

Moe is acting innocent but not fooling those of us who can think. Younger groups are becoming eligible for vaccination while older groups still aren't 'done'. Any delays, he says, are from lack of vaccine from the Feds. Nothing to do with unclear direction, making a plan and sticking to it.! Now we seem to be at "Cases are declining - great news" Variant cases are showing up across the province but there's no need to be concerned as vaccination rates will also rise and provide protection. It is the Feds causing these illnesses......

Carolla

wondering & wandering
And that's where most of the vaccine dedicated to hotspots (25% of next week's supply, 50% of the next two weeks after that) is going, though I hear there is one in Oxford County just down the road from here.
Article in the Star this morning commented on the usual 'half measures' being taken by the Province. Apparently the Science Table recommended (for weeks!) that 50% go to 74 highest risk postal codes in the province for FOUR weeks. "They ran it through this government's political laundromat, and came out with a compromise - 50% but just for 2 weeks and to all 114 postal codes the prov has deemed high risk." (Bruce Arthur's opinion piece April 30). Their list of postal codes is not the same as those recommended by the Science Table. It is reported that one of the prov postal codes is that of the LTC Minister - in Ottawa, with Ottawa's lowest positivity rate. I really hate that politics is factoring into this - and appreciate the journalists that help us know this.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
The hospital and city clinics in Toronto were operating very efficiently until vaccine supply became an issue. Mr Paradox and I were very impressed. We had to look for spots on the booking systems but it wasn't a big deal to get our appointments.

There's more of a hodgepodge going on now with parallel systems in place. My neighborhood has a designated clinic for hard to reach individuals (black, indigenous and Francophone persons, in this case). There are pharmacies, some of which are offering overnight walk in appointments. Also we have pop up clinics for designated postal codes which often involve long lineups and wait times.

Education workers have been designated priority for vaccinations but there is lots of confusion about how they are to gain access.
When was vaccine supply not an issue?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Yeah, I heard that. I am baffled unless Alberta somehow got included on the trial because this sounds like Health Canada hasn't cleared it for under-16 yet. Did Alberta say anything about that?
A doctors letter is required so may need an off label signature, not sure.

ChemGal

One with keen eye

Waterfall

My nephew, who has Downs, can"t have a vaccine yet. And he is highly vulnerable to Covid.
Downs are up to 10 times more susceptable.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I don't think we are doing anyone under 16. Health conditions is 16+ and general population will be 18+ once we get through the age and health bands.
This isn't the first time with an article based on Alberta it's mentioned similar to what ON is doing but I have never come across anything otherwise about ON doing 12+ kind of odd. Maybe it's being done quietly? Ie. Kids undergoing cancer treatments and being offered it in the clinic and that sort of thing? Invitation only essentially.

Lastpointe

I am surprised you can’t get a vaccine with Downs. Definately a high risk issue

hopefully more vaccines will arrive. And those who have had one won’t have to wait the full four months for a second

Waterfall

I am surprised you can’t get a vaccine with Downs. Definately a high risk issue

hopefully more vaccines will arrive. And those who have had one won’t have to wait the full four months for a second
My sister was surprised too. I wonder if it's a category they just failed to consider?