Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Waterfall

It's counted as being at risk here - so 12+.
I'm sorry, I did fail to mention about my nephew that he is now 27 and lives at home.....if he was in a group home he would be able to get a vaccine. Still doesn't make sense to me.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I'm sorry, I did fail to mention about my nephew that he is now 27 and lives at home.....if he was in a group home he would be able to get a vaccine. Still doesn't make sense to me.
All medical conditions that make one at risk are included for the 12+. Living situation doesn't matter for the phase 2B criteria.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
The disabled community has been frustrated with BC for leaving them out of the clinically vulnerable group. I suspect someone with Downs would not be covered here.

I know there are reasons to tailor responses to local needs so that places like Surrey and Peel Region can get the extra resources they need. At the same time, it seems that a more consistent federal approach is needed too.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
It's weird as well as frustrating that many places prioritized certain medication use - which hasn't been shown to increase the risk that was initially a concern- over things that are true risks. At least here that didn't occur but I think groups were left out if 2nd doses where if the studies were actually done would likely have similar risks to the included criteria. It's which groups were loudest to be studied:(

Lastpointe

On a separate note. Niece has a brother in law in Texas. A dance teacher. So I asked how he was doing during this tough time

no problem. Teaches 35-40 hours a week. Enters competitions. Just back from Hawaii
is he vaccinated? ( kid is about 22). Nope. No issues. Life as normal

I just find this all so strange. It’s like the twilight zone. is it just that the USA has gotten used to the idea of 600,000 + deaths? Who knows

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
On a separate note. Niece has a brother in law in Texas. A dance teacher. So I asked how he was doing during this tough time

no problem. Teaches 35-40 hours a week. Enters competitions. Just back from Hawaii
is he vaccinated? ( kid is about 22). Nope. No issues. Life as normal

I just find this all so strange. It’s like the twilight zone. is it just that the USA has gotten used to the idea of 600,000 + deaths? Who knows
It’s Texas. They also have the death penalty. Why should they care.

Lastpointe

It’s Texas. They also have the death penalty. Why should they care.
I was commenting on the way of life they are having. I find it odd I suppose. Perhaps it is related to less respect for life? Perhaps it is related to lack of news. Perhaps it is related to feeling the number of deaths is an ok trade off.

I think as a culture they have an overriding belief in look after yourself and don’t expect the government to do it.
you may not care. I find it fascinating. And I think we are seeing it play out in a few small towns here and certainly in the protests.

Lastpointe

And Mrs anteater, when you post about things happening in Germany i Am certainly interested in your posts, not dismissing it because hey, it’s Germany, not here

KayTheCurler

That is like the situation my son was in.. People with severe brain injury in Group Homes were eligible, those living independently weren't. His doc and I broke the rules and violated his health care privacy (with his encouragement!). It is often frustrating dealing with 'systems' that make rules that don't best serve their clients. For our son, anything a bit unusual and/or worrying means he loses a great chunk of ability to function!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Where is he? In Ontario, he is eligible, at least according to the MLHU eligibility page. See quoted section below. And one caregiver can be included, too.

Adults 16 years of age and older with the following highest-risk and high-risk health conditions:

• Organ transplant recipients and individuals awaiting organ transplant
  • Hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients
  • Neurological diseases in which respiratory function may be compromised (e.g., motor neuron disease, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis)
  • Haematological malignancy diagnosed < 1 year
  • Kidney disease eGFR < 30
  • Obesity (BMI > 40)
  • Other treatments causing immunosuppression (e.g., chemotherapy, immunity weakening medications)
    • Individuals should speak to their treating provider to determine the most appropriate timing for administration of the first dose of vaccine.
  • Intellectual or developmental disabilities (e.g., Down Syndrome)
    • This includes individuals who require regular and sustained assistance with personal care and/or activities of daily living. At this time, individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are not eligible.
  • Pregnancy

Waterfall

Where is he? In Ontario, he is eligible, at least according to the MLHU eligibility page. See quoted section below. And one caregiver can be included, too.
He is in St. Catharines and my sister can't find anywhere that will take him.....she knows many others with down living at home too and the same thing.....I will show her what you sent.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
The requirement for a doctor's note for those under 16 was dropped. Not sure if the off label permission is happening on site or what the regulations are without health canada approval.