Worship in times of COVID

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Here's our livestreamed service from this a.m. I add because we tried a couple of new things this a.m. A dialogue instead of a message, which had some different requirements, and a blessing of the animals, which required some acknowledgment of critter behaviour. Also, if you're curious about "me", I am the other half of the dialogue.

Our dialogue starts at about 24 minutes if you'd like to do some fast-forwarding.

Last edited:

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Here's our livestreamed service from this a.m. I add because we tried a couple of new things this a.m. A dialogue instead of a message, which had some different requirements, and a blessing of the animals, which required some acknowledgment of critter behaviour. Also, if you're curious about "me", I am the other half of the dialogue.

Our dialogue starts at about 24 minutes if you'd like to do some fast-forwarding.
Not something I would attend in person, so fun to watch online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
@ BetteTheRed - Predicament - YES! Complexities differ from technical problems - solutions are generally not simple, linear, strategic. And YES to grasshoppers too! (and cool socks!)

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
My sister makes me the funkiest of socks. These particular ones were from a "reverse rainbow" skein, with a cable worked in.

My most recent socks were "relatively" tame; a beautiful mint green with a couple of lovely cables. She is uber talented.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And, for the favoured people who are "normal" sock recipients? She has a file of our foot prints, so they're always really nice fitting.

Also, because I wear about a size bigger than her (but she's little plump feet and I am slightly longer bony feet), I'm often the recipient of first-try patterns where the gauge was off...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Images of feet not often exposed can be said to be fete noire? Black Foot Trax in the sans (beyond, or without)!

Nancy

Reaction score
I would have loved to watch the video but, when I tried, it said 'removed by uploader'.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Oh, shoot. I will have to figure out what went wrong, and edit my submission. I think you'd enjoy it, Nancy, in that it's another tool in the toolbox for a LWL, if you can find a candidate for a dialogue.

Nancy

Reaction score
Our church is open, and about 20 to 30 people attend each week. We have people sitting 6 feet apart, wearing masks, and a distant choir singing, each member (only 3 at a time) sitting apart, and quite distant from the congregation. We had communion yesterday...done in a very different way, but I sure felt like it was wonderful, thoughtful, spiritual...all the things communion should be. Bread and juice were in little covered containers, and picked up by each person upon entry. Our minister did a superb job making it feel like we were acting as one unit. So much better than virtual communion.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
We had a service in the sanctuary today. Not very many people. Very carefully done. But just so lovely to be in there. It was a bit weepy actually.

And communion was a bit hilarious...

So this is what our service looks like combining live-streaming with a bit of in-sanctuary worship: Thanksgiving?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I'm going to add a link to last Sunday's service, because it was our Anniversary service, 59 years, and we had a guest speaker (as we always do on Anniversary Sunday), the Rev Hye-Ran Kim-Cragg, who holds the Timothy Eaton Memorial Church Professorship in Preaching at Emmanuel College. It was a really inspiring message; I enjoyed it hugely.

Anniversary Service, part 1 of 2 It will lead you to part 2, good copy. Apparently it was a bit of a challenging week, live-streaming and recording-wise.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
And if you're interested in just the message, it's Part 2, starting at about 22:30 . She does a really Jewish-feeling conversation about the text. It's quite amazing. Professor of Preaching for sure. @revjohn @revsdd @Redbaron@GeoFee

Last edited:

jimkenney12

Reaction score
We are starting our planning for Christmas and will probably have about a 20 minute outdoor service with a fire pit and candles in our parking lot and two indoor services with the Communion service at 10 pm. There will be almost 3 hours, or more, between the first indoor service and Communion which will provide time for sanitizing. For advent, our indoor services will be limited to about 45 minutes to be followed by singing carols in the driveway between the church and the CEC (Christian Education Centre, more like a community connection centre now). The driveway slopes down to the parking lot which will help acoustics and visibility. No new cases of Covid-19 since July in this part of the Ottawa Valley. Most people in town are wearing masks in an effort to keep it that way. We are increasing the variety in our services in November.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Our local UC is starting real life services this week. Most others have been gathering for quite sometime. Today SK has 82 new cases - the biggest increase in a day so far. This immediate area has 52 active cases.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
my highest regards after having been just introduced to her though this thread. She is 'Indeed' a DEAR treasure to behold.

Wasn't that awesome? And a great acronym, yes? DEAR = dignity, equity, accountability, responsibility.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Here's a "minister to follow". Jeffrey Dale, formerly our half-time youth minister, has accepted a position within the UCCan region. He's a really lovely, thoughtful, young man.

Here's this week remembrance service, quite carefully done.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Also, he regrets the "thumbnail" above, lol. It's YouTube chosen, he's currently learning how to "pick his thumbnail"...

Nancy

Reaction score
Did a live service today....first since February! I spoke on the parable of the talents, and now I am listening to you-tube and Facebook services on the same scripture passage. Interesting how so many of us can see it in so many different ways. One message was very much a judgement day message; one was about using our talents and righteousness. I talked about expanding love, faith, God's golden opportunities, so that they spill over into the rest of our lives and into our world. I likened it to risk taking, but a necessary risk taking in order to expand God's positive influence in our world. To be miserly and to bury those opportunities is to be despised, as we see in the master's reaction. I don't think the master is meant to be God, but rather a character in a familiar scenario, delivering the reaction that became the 'twist' in the story. The twist that makes us think and pray for understanding. A God of mercy and grace cannot be as harsh as the master in the parable was. Just my take on it, and certainly not conclusive...Next time I read the parable, I might see it a different way.