Worship in times of COVID

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
From what I have been able to harvest from the community grapevine it seems the UC is the sole congregation that is still closed.

jimkenney12

Reaction score
People were glad to have the opportunity to share in worship. We had a great deal of music provided on the organ and piano beginning with a 15 minute prelude which was a mix of popular Canadian music, two periods of reflection/prayer accompanied by music, and the Maple Leaf Forever for the postlude. Our usual attendance before Covid-19 was between 60 and 80 people. We have over 200 households on our contact list and 169 supporting households. About 110 have internet. Music was one of our strong points with a superb music leader and our music director plays with the Ottawa Symphony as well as the Deep River Symphony. For the online service on June 28, a recording of the choir singing the chosen anthem from a year ago was included in the video.

Waterfall

Reaction score
The church I attend decided to not open this summer and to continue with it's services over Youtube and Facebook. Wise decision IMO.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I haven't checked to see what is happening around here. If I was going to attend a service right now, though, I'd go to a virtual one. While London is looking pretty good on the Covid front right now, I'm not inclined to take risks at the moment. We'll see how things look in the Fall. I'll be back in the office then so venturing out to church may be less of a concern as well.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Just found this, and don't see a music thread it really belongs in.

A fairly traditional liturgical/musical thought, with a jazz setting. I liked it a lot.

Almighty God

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
We won't be back in the sanctuary until September 13 at the earliest. I assume that the recommendations for congregational singing will remain (although there are conflicting studies on the issue, the dominant opinion still seems to be no singing) although we'll probably seek out additional guidance re: solos, or people singing at a distance from the congregation. A couple of people have wondered about singing through masks. I'd be curious to know how your service without singing was received? I think that will be an issue here. PVUC has always been very proud of its music program.

I spoke with my daughter's music teacher at her high school a couple of weeks ago. She said that she fully expects that there will be school bands next year (perhaps not in September, but at some point during the school year) because the studies she's seeing through the Board, etc. are suggesting that instrumental music is not the concern that some originally thought it was. She said there are mixed studies about singing although she thinks there's a 50-50 chance the Board will approve school choirs at some point in the next school year. I did see a British study that seems to contradict the currently dominant position about singing and says that with appropriate social distancing singing is a lot safer than originally thought. (They pointed out that the famous case in Washington State where a choir practice resulted in dozens of infections that's often cited happened in early March before social distancing was a thing, implication being that if people are spread out the risk is significantly lessened.) That all presumes, of course, that schools re-open and that there's no second wave to shut them down again.

I think the most we can say with certainty as churches take tentative steps toward re-starting public, live worship is that things are continuing to change, and it won't be the same worship as we were enjoying back in March. Which offers both multiple challenges and multiple opporutnities.
From what I have seen, the information on wind and brass instruments isn't there to make a conclusion. It seemed to focus on air/droplets and how far they travel in a direct line out of the instrument. My concern would be with the vibration, turns, etc. it could lead to a fair bit of spread in various directions. Maybe it's been looked into more than I think, maybe I'm overcomplicating it. I've just seen articles posted like hey, this shouldn't be the risky that seems to simply the possibilities and doesn't actually look at pathogens at all.

Nancy

Reaction score
I have led a few on-line worship services since March. The one that is streaming today is awful, and I wish I could get rid of it off of you-tube. I always have good intentions. But lately, I have been battling a huge arthritic flare-up...can barely walk any more...and it seems to be affecting my brain. At least, that is the excuse I am using at the moment. I even have one thumbs-down so far on the video! Due for more, I'm sure. I always have good intentions...offering hope, worship, opportunity to pray and commune with God. But, this time it fell short. Also, I hate looking at/ listening to me on video. I wasn't meant for this....

jimkenney12

Reaction score
Are you making the video yourself? An alternative to looking at yourself is to redirect the camera towards a scene or picture that suits you. I did this for my last podcast where I faced the camera for the introduction, then had the camera aimed down a forest path for the rest of the video. I hat looking at myself in videos also. It is hard to focus on the words, tones and clarity when worried about facial expressions. The link to that podcast, One of Us, is in my work in progress thread.

Nancy

Reaction score
No, as a LLWL, I am invited to be part of a service organized by someone else. The someone else does an excellent job. I'm the weak link.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
I have led a few on-line worship services since March. The one that is streaming today is awful, and I wish I could get rid of it off of you-tube. I always have good intentions. But lately, I have been battling a huge arthritic flare-up...can barely walk any more...and it seems to be affecting my brain. At least, that is the excuse I am using at the moment. I even have one thumbs-down so far on the video! Due for more, I'm sure. I always have good intentions...offering hope, worship, opportunity to pray and commune with God. But, this time it fell short. Also, I hate looking at/ listening to me on video. I wasn't meant for this....
Who would give a thumbs down on a service? That is just mean

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Who would give a thumbs down on a service? That is just mean

Probably someone who disagreed with her message or something. I don't think it is possible to make a video on Youtube that isn't going to pick up a dislike or two.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Probably someone who disagreed with her message or something. I don't think it is possible to make a video on Youtube that isn't going to pick up a dislike or two.

You can't please all the people all the time ... thus quantum rejection nd heavenly fallacy!

Nancy

Reaction score
I would have given myself one in this case. Hanging my head in shame at the poor editing of the message that I did. But there were some kind and giving messages there as well, so maybe someone somewhere got something good out of it.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Hugs, Nancy. Ministry isn't a performance; it's a participatory relationship and I can guarantee that more than one person got some little gem out of the service, and that is more than enough.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have an idea. Can you practice with somebody on FaceTime or Sykpe? You could set it up like you would a recording. I think you can even record it while you're on the line with them - and get feedback as you are doing it? Then record the real thing? Maybe another minister could coach you.

(ps it was probably just fine and maybe you're being too hard on yourself because of the jerk who gave a thumbs-down. Ignore those trolls!...but practicing might give you more confidence, so you aren't as self conscious.

Reaction score
or have someone you trust in the room, out out camera view, and look at them while you give your sermon.

I used to coach people on job interviews. Even though I don't like going to them either. Sometimes we'd set up a camera for mock interviews.

revjohn

Reaction score
BetteTheRed said:
Hugs, Nancy. Ministry isn't a performance; it's a participatory relationship and I can guarantee that more than one person got some little gem out of the service, and that is more than enough.

This.

When I am live-streaming there is not opportunity to edit so the end result is more like Sunday morning. It is presented warts and all. If I forget a reference or misidentity a reference that is that. If I catch it right away I will correct myself but I cannot edit so that my flaws do not show.

When I pre-recorded worship for my congregation this summer I knew that there was the option to edit. I resisted it and ran the taping sessions as if they were live-stream. If I stumbled it was shown. If I preached from the wrong text (lectionarily speaking) I acknowledged that as soon as I became aware.

My live services are never flawless why should anything I tape be perfect? That wouldn't be true to me and it would certainly not connect with the community I serve who a) sees that I make mistakes and b) sees that I can acknowledge flaws without beating myself up over them.

What you offer in person or via tape is a gift. As worship it is a gift for God. If somebody wants to thumb down the gift you give who isn't God I don't think that should be used as an excuse to slap yourself around.

There will always be a next time, if you are unhappy with the gift you offered bring a better one next time. Do not edit to make the next gift you offer appear to be perfect unless you have become perfect by that time.

Nancy

Reaction score
I do believe that I am presenting an offering when I deliver a message. And, I always know that sometimes the offering is a little less inspired or inspirational than at other times, and that I can be motivated to 'bring a better one next time'. I guess, as a LLWL, I am sometimes a little self-conscious. Maybe I said something that is theologically unsound? Or historically inaccurate? Sometimes my sources of information might be dated. Also my brother-in-law the photographer has always criticized me in every single family picture...He thinks he is doing it in a funny way...but it has always made me realize that I am not very photo-friendly. When I prepare for a church service, I actually put thought into my appearance, not out of vanity, but because...those people have to look at me as well as listen to me. So, any reservation I had about the thumbs down is born out of those insecurities. But it won't keep me from trying to deliver a meaningful, helpful and God-inspired message in person or on video. Next up: Thanksgiving.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
Reminds me of a sower of seed. Some falls on the path and can’t put down roots. Some falls among weeds and gets stifled. Other seed falls on good soil and rises to grow and flourish.

mgagnonlv

Reaction score
When I am live-streaming there is not opportunity to edit so the end result is more like Sunday morning. It is presented warts and all. If I forget a reference or misidentity a reference that is that. If I catch it right away I will correct myself but I cannot edit so that my flaws do not show.

When I pre-recorded worship for my congregation this summer I knew that there was the option to edit. I resisted it and ran the taping sessions as if they were live-stream. If I stumbled it was shown. If I preached from the wrong text (lectionarily speaking) I acknowledged that as soon as I became aware. ...

I fully agree. It's one thing to edit for obvious blunders (not recording the sound, for example) and it's quite a different thing to edit for minor flaws to make it more "professional".
Another thing I have noticed is that, the more it goes on, the more we see parishes that are performance oriented. There has been a shift in many places from an informal Zoom meeting to a Zoom meeting with prerecorded segments or even to a Youtube or Facebook live event. I think part of the charm of worship is praying together, not just listening together. So we have to be prepared to the fact that responses will sound cacophonic.