WE. What in earth is going on?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

So am I to understand there are different limits for election spending for the two major parties but the NDP as a third party has a lower limit and cant accept gifts from corporations?

Corporate (including unions) donations to election campaigns were eliminated over a decade ago. Only individual contributions are allowed, and are tax deductible. One can give to the national party, local campaign, and such individually, so the total per donor is actually fairly high. And corporations and parties have figured out ways to game that system.

So all parties play by the same rules but the Liberals and Conservatives tend to attract more since they are more likely to be in power and able to give something in return.

Corporate (including unions) donations to election campaigns were eliminated over a decade ago. Only individual contributions are allowed, and are tax deductible. One can give to the national party, local campaign, and such individually, so the total per donor is actually fairly high. And corporations and parties have figured out ways to game that system.

So all parties play by the same rules but the Liberals and Conservatives tend to attract more since they are more likely to be in power and able to give something in return.
And I suppose not as environmentally inclined.
Are they gaming the system so well that those who watch the rules are so stupid that only you know that?(sarcasm towards the keepers of the rules not you)
We, the public are being blatently cheated by this crap and as long as the two predominate parties stay in power, no one will level the playing field while their bread is being buttered will it?

The choice is between him and someone who's more likely to follow Trump's lead. I'd rather have Justin, as imperfect as he is. He's done a far better job managing covid, for one thing.

and oddly Canadians , who espouse to care about society and the little guy don’t care. They keep voting him in

Unfortunately, the options are odious. I like the NDP, but no-one ever gives them a chance, and a vote for Green is just a throw-away. And Scheer and his ilk make me actively nauseous. So, occasionally, one holds one's nose.

No, but he should have known MUCH better and so should Bill Morneau. WE was probably a perfectly appropriate group to handle/administer this, and might have proved so in a shortened RFQ with Justin and Bill recusing themselves. How stupid are they?

No, but he should have known MUCH better and so should Bill Morneau. WE was probably a perfectly appropriate group to handle/administer this, and might have proved so in a shortened RFQ with Justin and Bill recusing themselves. How stupid are they?
Well we could keep electing some old farts that know all the rules.....but lack a connection with younger voters.

Justin is the son of PET. He knows the rules; he grew up with them.
Who knows , I grew up as a PK and didnt know my Bible and wasnt fond of the Anglican church.
In fact I learned what Grace was from Revjohn....when I was in my early 40's.

There are no limits for election spending for any party. The Liberals and Conservatives have big election funds because wealthy people who want favours from them buy the politicians But wealthy people do not fund the NDP or other parties because they're honest and refuse to accept that bribe money.
Look. This has been going on for a long, long time. It's not new and it's certainly not a secret

Anything big money wants, it gets. Any honest party has to lie on the contributions from you and me - and those are much, much smaller.

So it is that Trudeau gave several billions of dollars to the owners of Alberta oil wells. So it is that the Conservative government of Alberta is not going to place any limits or changes to whatever the oil barons want to do. (And this somes from the Justin Trudeau who, much earlier ran on a platform that included closing down on Alberta oil. So it is that we've sent Canadians to fight in places they had no business to be - Korea, Afghanistan, Libya(which we bombed to make Americans happy), Latin America where Canadian diplomats are used to serve the interests of the American wealthy, Syria where we have no business being.....

The Liberals and Conservatives dominate CAnadian politics because they have all that money that they get under the table. It comes as gifts for useful politicians and for election money. The same is true in the U.S.

When the British were busy murdering 400 million people all over the world, this was done to please the British capitalists who could now plunder those countries. The British people got nothing out of it. Soldiers and sailors were simply dumped on the streets when they were no longer useful. Most of the British people had to live in unspeakably vile conditions,deap in poverty and wretchedness. The bulk of the children had to work long days (up to 15 hous a day) for pennies while the young Winston Churchill got to go to a very posh school, and to enter the army as an officer. Children of five were lowered down chimneys to clean them. My Scottish grandmother lived Glascow in a large apartment building with some 50 people in it. There was one toilet and one bath tube downstairs for the whole building. May homes had no toilets at all - and fields had to make do. In Toronto about 1870 a teenage boy was working on a large belt driven lathe. (I worked on one of those in my teens. It was dangerous and frightening.) the machine in Toronto broke down, ripping lose the great belt that ran it. it took off the boy's arm. He was immediately fired and sent home - on foot. The company had no further responsibility.

The rich of Britain swam in wealth and prosperity. The poor, who were far the worst off of the population, lived in misery and died young.

The same was true in the U.S. - despite the sign on the statue of Liberty at New York about how the U.S. welcomed immigrants. (In fact, the sign, though still quoted to this day lasted only few years. And the immigrants? women had to work long hours for almost no pay. And the death rate was high - especially for those who worked in, say, multiple story flats with doors locked, flats that frequently could not control fires and which offered no way out. This happened many times.

We're repeating this, perhaps even worse with street people.

And the Christian churches did - and are doing?????

Unfortunately, the options are odious. I like the NDP, but no-one ever gives them a chance, and a vote for Green is just a throw-away. And Scheer and his ilk make me actively nauseous. So, occasionally, one holds one's nose.
I was thinking about it with Kanye's announcement. I'm not really a fan of what our options are but they certainly beat out Trump & Kanye.

Don't waste your time talking about Justin. What he has done is what ALL Liberals and Conservatives have always done. If we defeat Justin, we will, as we have from the start our record suggest we will then vote Conservative which is a twin of the Liberal party.
Forget this indignation at Trudeau. The indignation has to be put against Both Liberals and Conservatives. And we have to recognize this corruption has been routine from the beginning. (George Washington was descendent of a very high class British family that had come down in the world. But he was still well off, and with nothing but contempt for anyone who wasn't rich.)

But don't waste your energy on one villain. Our whole political system so far as Liberals and Conservatives are concerned. is rotten.

Meanwhile, we might take a look at several hundred years of history, at the mass murder of much of the world by us Christians, and tell us how you square that with the teaching of Jesus.

The problem is Ontario always sticks with the two traditional choices. And Alberta always votes Conservative or even worse, ultra-conservative - except when they broke away that one time and voted for Notley as premier. That's because Redford's use of government planes and renovation of a penthouse in a government building for herself and her daughter to enjoy, were a bit too much obvious corruption, even for steadfast cons.

I wish I had an easy answer to what the churches can do. we live in a Christian part of the world that is far removed from the concept of 'Thou shalt not kill."
And thou shalt love thy neighbour? That is scarcely a trait of our society. More awkwardly, rhe churches have to open discussion of what is evil.
Hitler's murder of Jews was evil. But the American slaughter of native peoples was even worse. But I suspect most christians won't buy that. Indeed, most people will not listen to statements they don't want to hear.

I suppose the starting point might be to open with discussion of a single topic such as killing rather than with sermonizing, to respect all the opinions - then to compose a list of meetings, each dealing with a response from one side of the issue = and discussing whether it is in accord with with the teachings of Jesus. That would just be a starting point ----to get people thinking about the teaching of Jesus and whether we are prepared to live in accord with them.

Back