WE. What in earth is going on?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
The problem is Ontario always sticks with the two traditional choices. And Alberta always votes Conservative or even worse, ultra-conservative - except when they broke away that one time and voted for Notley as premier. That's because Redford's use of government planes and renovation of a penthouse in a government building for herself and her daughter to enjoy, were a bit too much obvious corruption, even for steadfast cons.
Not just one time. I currently have an NDP MLA.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
So back to WE

someone asked me up thread if I knew how much money they would make compared to say the United way. I have no idea but the government did say that they were going to earn 19.5 million for administering it and of that approx 5millon would go to their partner charities. This was a program designed to run from June to September. Discounting the five million that is a profit of 14.5 million for three months work. Pretty sweet for them

and Now more disclosure. O regan from the east coast and a great pal of Justin( he was in the ill thought out island trip) Katie Telford ( chief of staff) also have links To WE

I have no idea if this charity is on the up and up or corrupt, doing good work or not. It certainly banks on pep rally type event to excite kids. Are they exciting them for the Liberal Party? Expect the NDP and Greens would also like to get some of that free publicity

the ad they created for Trudeau was a straight out political ad. This is too cozy

I get that because this is the flavor of the month charity for Canada, not unlike Greta , that everyone feels they have to show up. Gosh, it would be terrible if a political leader or wanna be leader didn’t grovel to what ever popular charity is going. they all are. but the liberal government seems to be inordinately involved. Especially the Trudeau family

as to the idea that Justin should know better. His silver spoon in his mouth has blinded him to the possibility that he could ever be wrong

like trump he doesn’t admit fault. He brings us all into it

we can all learn.......

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
The Current on CBC Radio 1 this morning is hosting a very interesting programme on WE. It's worth a listen IMO. It's interesting, for example, to learn that WE has two branches, one a charity, one a for-profit social enterprise. Close similarity in names is challenging & easily creates confusion between the two. Lots of interesting comments from the ethics commissioner.

Also an interesting full page letter in the Toronto Star this morning from WE responding to some of the questions being raised.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Full page ad in the Globe too. I did know they have this for profit branch. They have kids do things like sell chocolates. That sounds dubious. But I did read a certain percentage rolls back into the main charity

Graeme Decarie

Reaction score
Most of these notes are wastiing time by discussing the Trudeau case. The reality is 1.the super rich support the immense costs of a federal election by paying huge sums to the two political parties that obey them. 2. They have been doing this for a very long time - in the western world in general, this amounts to at least a couple of centuries.
Fiddling around with the Trudeau case just confuses the whole thing.
We know (or should know) that in the U.S. only the two parties can win an election because only they can get the huge sums and election costs. In Canada, it's just the Liberals and Conservatives who can raise the huge sums an election costs.
Piddling around about the case of Trudeau just obscures the whole question.

jimkenney12

Reaction score
I wonder who dreamed up the student volunteers for a $10/hr honorarium plan? It seemed bizarre for on the start. It would have made more sense three months ago to boost the STEP program with $900 million and let students earn at least $16/hr. I am sure municipalities and charities like churches could have found suitable employment for students with much less of an administrative hassle. The program feels like crumbs being thrown to the needy by over entitled people.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Most of these notes are wastiing time by discussing the Trudeau case. The reality is 1.the super rich support the immense costs of a federal election by paying huge sums to the two political parties that obey them. 2. They have been doing this for a very long time - in the western world in general, this amounts to at least a couple of centuries.
Fiddling around with the Trudeau case just confuses the whole thing.
We know (or should know) that in the U.S. only the two parties can win an election because only they can get the huge sums and election costs. In Canada, it's just the Liberals and Conservatives who can raise the huge sums an election costs.
Piddling around about the case of Trudeau just obscures the whole question.
then don’t participate.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
I wonder who dreamed up the student volunteers for a $10/hr honorarium plan? It seemed bizarre for on the start. It would have made more sense three months ago to boost the STEP program with $900 million and let students earn at least $16/hr. I am sure municipalities and charities like churches could have found suitable employment for students with much less of an administrative hassle. The program feels like crumbs being thrown to the needy by over entitled people.
I agree. The entire program seems very ill thought out and misguided

if the idea was that students needed to earn money to pay for school in the fall they could have just applied for tuition relief up to $5000

or apply for additional funds if the $2000 doesn’t cut it. Which honestly in the big cities it really doesn’t. That maybe covers rent
I fear it is muddying the waters about what it means to volunteer

Lastpointe

Reaction score
And I imagine WE is not enjoying the sudden scrutiny about what exactly their program does, how they are getting all these contracts... since the liberals formed government

I have been very involved in a small charity for years That runs a not for profit ballet school. We operate on a shoe string. Everyone volunteers for some aspect of it. We offer bursaries and are located in an underserved area of Toronto. Getting grants is a ton of work The folks who collect the data and apply for grants to the Ontario government or large foundations work tons of hours on the applications. And the grants are small. The largest I think we every got was from Trillium for $120,000 And we were over the moon

so it is puzzling to me, how this one charity that seems to do what exactly, Gets government money Numerous times. And at the same time they have a for profit arm. For most foundations we apply to that is a no go issue. In fact for many foundations, if you apply to the United Way you can’t access their money

and I am puzzled how they have this wild access to the education system

they hold pep rallies and for sure it is important to get kids engaged in charity work. Hence Ontario requires 50 hours to graduate. (My sons school required 150). But schools are pretty good about directing kids and getting them involved

the entire thing is puzzling

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
and I am puzzled how they have this wild access to the education system
Which would suggest relationships with the provinces or local school boards (in the provinces that have them) because the feds couldn't facilitate that. The provinces guard their authority over the education system pretty tightly. The Feds only get a toe in the door on post-secondary because they are the ones with a mandate to fund research.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Definitely. It is interesting the access they have to the school systems. The big rally they hold in Toronto is in one of the big hockey arenas with thousands of kids off school for the day

when I look at the web site I don’t get much of a feeling for what the charity does other than inspire kids

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Definitely. It is interesting the access they have to the school systems. The big rally they hold in Toronto is in one of the big hockey arenas with thousands of kids off school for the day

when I look at the web site I don’t get much of a feeling for what the charity does other than inspire kids
The think they approve companies for not horribly abusing children? So telling which products to buy that avoid child labour - but many still use child labour.

Graeme Decarie

Reaction score
Lastpointe you're right. I should not waste my time with reality when writing to a Christian post that prefers trivia.

Graeme Decarie

Reaction score
I had a similar problem yesterday speaking to a group of women about the 1950s when the U.S. hired an army of international thugs to murder 200,000 men, women and children. Their special targets were Catholics, especially priests, nuns and missionaries. Their boss was George Bush Sr. - devout Christian churchh goer. Our news media have never printed this story.
A woman indignantly said she wanted proof. She wanted to read a book about it. Hell, the whole point is that there is no such book. I learned about it only when a murdered Canadian missionary was brought back to Canada, and buried near where I lived. However, there is a national film board film about it.
She was indignant. She said you couldn't believe NFB.

Typical. She wants proof. But she refuses to believe it. Most of us think that way.

The Christian U.S. dropped nuclear bombs indiscriminately on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And at a time when the war was really over. Ever heard a sermon about that? Or about U.S. mass murder in Iraq in a war based on lies?

I apologize for disturbing Lastpoine's Christian slumbers.

Waterfall

Reaction score
I had a similar problem yesterday speaking to a group of women about the 1950s when the U.S. hired an army of international thugs to murder 200,000 men, women and children. Their special targets were Catholics, especially priests, nuns and missionaries. Their boss was George Bush Sr. - devout Christian churchh goer. Our news media have never printed this story.
A woman indignantly said she wanted proof. She wanted to read a book about it. Hell, the whole point is that there is no such book. I learned about it only when a murdered Canadian missionary was brought back to Canada, and buried near where I lived. However, there is a national film board film about it.
She was indignant. She said you couldn't believe NFB.

Typical. She wants proof. But she refuses to believe it. Most of us think that way.

The Christian U.S. dropped nuclear bombs indiscriminately on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And at a time when the war was really over. Ever heard a sermon about that? Or about U.S. mass murder in Iraq in a war based on lies?

I apologize for disturbing Lastpoine's Christian slumbers.
What is the name of the film you're referring to with the National Film Board? I'd like to look it up and watch it.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
I am not stating you shouldn’t point out what you choose on any topic you wish. You post lots. i am sure if you posted a thread of all your data, theories, worries, and objections to Christians people would read it.

you commented Up thread that it was a waste of time to comment on trudeau

you said that , so my comment was then don’t participate in this particular thread

I know that there are bigger issues in the world Than our silver spoon PM who seems to have no moral compass and can’t understand why we don’t just take his word for things

he has handed out hundreds of billions of dollars. Most of that will be assessed by the auditor general but she has asked for an increase of 11 millon so she can tackle the huge project

but that was a no from our PM who just is so happy giving out money. But not to someone who is going to oversee what he is doing

I think one of the interesting things about this scandal is why? There were better ways to help students. And there are people who need help more than most students. As I said up thread, if the issue was students can’t afford tuition, just drop tuition for a year