Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Good morning. Friends are leaving the park here and returning to their summer places. Today may be an organizing day for me.

I've brought in a birthday cake to celebrate @BethAnne on her special day. As this is a virtual cake it is your favourite.

Happy Birthday GIF
Ah...thanks so much @Northwind

Yes, we do the testing.

We have water in containers "just-in-case". Also, if a big storm is predicted, I put water in the upstairs bath!

We have gas cooking stove, and a wood burning cast stove in the kitchen area
Yes, that’s the fun of living in Canada! My son actually enjoyed us sitting with candles, not having any electronic devices. Ales you appreciate having a roof over tour head. Later we pretended “ power outage” a few times, to get him off the devices.

I'm sitting down after organizing a closet. Phew. So much better. Now we have a space for the Costco sized toilet paper, paper towel and stuff. Still some room for a tune-up but it's much improved. It feels good to have it tidied. It also feels good to sit. An Irish Breakfast tea is in order. Is there any birthday cake left?

Yes, that’s the fun of living in Canada! My son actually enjoyed us sitting with candles, not having any electronic devices. Ales you appreciate having a roof over tour head. Later we pretended “ power outage” a few times, to get him off the devices.
Up at the cottage, we used to have some old kerosene lamps around. Dad would fire one up when the power was off (which happened pretty much once every summer vacation) and we would play cards by lamplight. No electronic devices other than radios and TVs back then, though (we are talking seventies and early eighties).

Maybe some parts of Canada. Watch me jinx it, but we almost never have power outages in town. I don't remember the last one...

It looks like she got her OT degree in 1974 and worked as a psych OT for three years before she pursued journalism. Those Franklin books were an important.part of our family life when the Paradox kids were growing.up.

Franklin could count by twos and tie his shoes . . .

The obit. of a dear friend Rev. Dr. Yvette Swan was published in the York Funeral Home Site (Fredericton NB) recently.

Those that have attended GC over the years may have met her as she struggled for balance as a woman of color!

She was a significant icon ... or sign of our brutal times!

Thank you Luce for letting us know. I completely missed the obituary in the local paper.

I have known Yvette since she moved to our area. I often sat with her at Presbytery meetings/she had a warm warm and caring personality, and was great that pastoral care.

Unfortunately with the combination of restructuring of the church, my physical limitations, and the isolation for the last year and a half, I have not seen her for some time.

May she rest in peace.

It looks like she got her OT degree in 1974 and worked as a psych OT for three years before she pursued journalism. Those Franklin books were an important.part of our family life when the Paradox kids were growing.up.

Franklin could count by twos and tie his shoes . . .
We were big Franklin fans in our house too - didn't realize the author was an OT! And in psych too!!

I guess with two new grandchildren on the way, I will be reading to younguns again (one of my favourite things to do). So...when I read the Franklin books, I may need to treat some like history lessons, explaining about cameras and films that need developing!

Speaking about learning about old things...when my daughter was in Grade 1, most music was on CDs, but schools are notoriously behind the times in gadgets. Her teacher had a real old-fashioned record player. Her class was absolutely fascinated, and all went home to tell their parents about the newest way to listen to music...on something called 'records'.

I remember reading one of the Franklin books for children's time in church. Not sure which one it was or why I thought it was relevant. It was the one where we learned turtles don't have teeth.

Little M used to like Franklin. I enjoyed some of them, too. We even watched the TV series they made based on it. Some episodes were straight-up adaptations of the books. Theme song was by Bruce Cockburn of all people.

Good morning, all! As we recall and swap tales of power outages and flooding, neighbours moving and stories of Franklin and others, let us pause fpor a few moments of communion around the coffee cart, for hot beverages and warm friendships. All is ready. Help yourself. Maybe there will be leftover birthday cake. Can't let that go stale.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

Thanks for the coffee. While I sip away, I am taking a look at my Franklin book collection.

Franklin and the Tooth Fairy is the story which mentions turtles' lack of teeth. I still can't remember why I chose it for children's time in church. It could be used for a few different themes. Honesty. Diversity. Accepting ourselves for who we are.

Back