Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Hi, started the coffee early this morning. Woke up at 5:15am -- teach me to fall asleep early. Wide awake. Banana yogurt and homemade granola are sitting on the sideboard. Bananas are there too.

I've started the fire as it is a cozy kind of a morning. Sit and watch the sun come up.

Thanks, Pinga, the fire does feel and look good. Outside it's blustery and snowing. Still, it isn't like Texas.

I'll take this opportunity to enjoy coffee, granola and a warm fire. Not interested in the snow thanks. It is pretty grey here right now but will likely brighten up - doesn't look like waking weather though as I see ice in many places. .

Thank you for the treats and roaring fire. I'll add a nice big birthday cake to the table here as today is my Dad's 95th birthday. Unfortunately, he is in hospital, but on the mend after a nasty fall on an escalator last week. We hope he will get back home soon, with additional help, to be with his beloved dog who I'm sure is missing him just as much as he misses her.

Ouch, hope he will recover ok. I've had a dislike of escalators for a while - started as a kid after breaking my knee and once out of the cast and walking but dealing with the soft tissue damage and muscle atrophy I had difficulties getting on them to go down, I felt like the movement was too fast for the step at the time.

I'm surprised they are common as they are, they seem to be broken down all the time (there's a site or is it a twitter account for the U of A LRT escalators) and have a lot of safety issues. I find the visual off them makes it very difficult to walk them when not working. LRT when it's multiple flights of stairs and there are stairs right there too I get it. Malls though, where there are often young kids, things to get stuck and typically stairs out of the way - stairs would probably be better. Especially odd at places like Sport Chek and Canadian Tire and then Target - when a shopping cart is typically involved one floor is probably the better way to go.

When I was a kid I thought if you didn’t get off in time you would get sucked into the machine. I was always jumping to get off them

i agree they are problematic. It’s not unusual to see people at the entrance struggling to time the step on.
on the other hand at the Toronto airport the moving sidewalks slow right down to get on and off and then they speed up to walking pace

When I was a kid I thought if you didn’t get off in time you would get sucked into the machine. I was always jumping to get off them

i agree they are problematic. It’s not unusual to see people at the entrance struggling to time the step on.
on the other hand at the Toronto airport the moving sidewalks slow right down to get on and off and then they speed up to walking pace
Those are also probably fairly flat, escalators have the issue of things potentially getting stuck in the grooves. Crocs were an issue.

Especially odd at places like Sport Chek
Our local Sport Chek took over an old Sears in the neighbouring mall after Sears Canada packed it in. It was a two-storey Sears with an escalator. Instead of making Sport Chek two stories, they put Sport Chek on the ground floor and put an Atmosphere (the outdoor store that is also owned by Canadian Tire) upstairs. So you only had to ride the escalator if you needed to go from one store to the other (and you could also do that by going out to the mall and using an elevator or stairs).

I detest escalators myself. I am okay going up, but going down my fear of falling kicks in hard and I have to hold the rail. Can't really be carrying anything, either. If elevators or stairs are available, escalator gets avoided.

Yeah, I actually like the moving sidewalks in airports. McNamara Terminal at Detroit has fairly nice ones, too.

The Toronto ones are ridged like escalators, not sure why as it is always a pain with heels and stuff. But in big airports it helps. Hated having to run through Heathrow before moving sidewalks. I might still run but at least the sidewalk is helping

The Toronto ones are ridged like escalators, not sure why as it is always a pain with heels and stuff. But in big airports it helps. Hated having to run through Heathrow before moving sidewalks. I might still run but at least the sidewalk is helping
Pearson Terminal 2 sprawls so much now, I can't think of another way to get around there. You could probably lose a few pounds just getting to your gate without those moving sidewalks.

The last time I flew I was nearly defeated by the amount of walking required!
Yeah, these huge airports are getting nutty in that regard. I almost prefer small airports like the ones in a lot of developing world resort areas (Holguin, Cuba has a nice little airport, but we also got access to the premium lounge there via a tour we took so that may be skewing my feelings a bit).

We like the smaller airports. Our current city and last two cities had smaller airports that are much more civilized. When we've flown to southern Ontario we've avoided Toronto. We prefer Hamilton or London.

I just had my first massage in over two years. This guy was good. He doesn't use oils and has some good MyoFascial techniques. It felt great. I'll probably feel it.

oooh, i've been thinking aobut a massage. I have a tense shoulder.
How is that going with covid? I haven't had one since pre-Covid.

Back