Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
oooh, i've been thinking aobut a massage. I have a tense shoulder.
How is that going with covid? I haven't had one since pre-Covid.

BC allows services like massage, chiropractic and physio, etc with masks and general safeguards by the clinic. It felt very safe

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Good morning, all, happy Wednesday. As we think about massages, and other cutbacks and adjustments we've had to make over the last year or so, let us give thanks for places like this, where we can gather in spirit around a virtual table with warm beverages and good friends, as always. Tea water is hot, coffee is brewed. Enjoy.

C(_)/ c(_) c[_] c\_/

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
It's tea and coffee time again! The best part of the day!! Water is hot and coffee is brewed. Enjoy.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

Luce NDs

It raises spirits ... being in rather than out ... Phoenix syndrome and brighter thoughts evolve ...

Good God the light of Dais? We should listen up if in the abstract we can determine the direction ... of exit!

In another thread someone mentioned wet bags and haggi*tha ...

Pinga

Room for All
oooh, just saw a city process that is cool, that others likely know of, but, i didn't.
All the snows from the side of the road was plowed into the middle on our street.
Then, aa dumptruck, followed by a row of dumptrucks , queued up at the top of the street.
A large tractor with an auger and a shoot, drove down the road, sucking up the snow, and shooting it into the first dumptruck. When the dumptruck was filled, another one took it's place.

Very cool, and our road is back to normal width and the snowbanks are gone!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
They do this snow gathering on the Lakeshore - down the street from my house - but usually in the evening & overnight with little bobcats clearing the banks into dump trucks. Beep, beep, beep back-up warning ... glad the windows are sometimes closed!

Lastpointe

They push the snow back on our rural road so it is always about as wide as normal. but it’s a rural, gravel road with four feet deep ditches along the edges. Now however you can’t see the ditches ,so a common winter issue up here, is cars driving into the ditches. They are trying to park along the side or doing a three point turn or whatever. Already have had one on our street this month

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
oooh, just saw a city process that is cool, that others likely know of, but, i didn't.
All the snows from the side of the road was plowed into the middle on our street.
Then, aa dumptruck, followed by a row of dumptrucks , queued up at the top of the street.
A large tractor with an auger and a shoot, drove down the road, sucking up the snow, and shooting it into the first dumptruck. When the dumptruck was filled, another one took it's place.

That's how they manage snow up north. Sometimes the been berm in the middle of the road stays there for a day or two. It's still a good practice. Regular residential streets don't get that treatment so much, though sometimes the city comes and shaves down the snow banks using that method

Pinga

Room for All
@Lastpointe -- the municipal yards are a km or so down our road in the country. Our road dead-ends at a primary road, and they are at the corner.
We are also on a school bus route. All of this means that the road my home is on is pretty clean, though, as you said, they just move the snow into the ditches.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla

Hamilton did this the last winter I was there. We had waaaaaay too much snow that winter.

Lastpointe

I had a great friend who grew up in Montreal. She said in the winter the city plows would arrive on the block, blare horns and everyone would get out of bed and move their cars so the street could be plowed. And when she moved to Toronto she couldn’t believe the roads just kept getting narrower with parked cars and snow piles. She also could not believe we didn’t have massive snow melters which in Montreal simply melt the snow away during the night. But then Montreal gets tons of snow and Toronto not so much. Usually

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
My neighbourhood is new and everyone has driveways so cars on the street isn't a usual thing unless someone has company. But my neighbourhood in Hamilton had the street parking problem (I had one of the few driveways on the street).

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
No street parking allowed on our streets from mid-November to the end of March for that very reason. My boarder parks her car in front of my house the remaining months of the year. Winter, we play car roulette, made much easier these days by the fact that only one of us is working.

It was nice to go back to work today after my two weeks' self-isolation. I don't think I realized how much I relied on these periods of human interaction during the week, particularly since I'm also missing my daily call (usually, at least until the last few months) from the Hippie.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
No street parking allowed on our streets from mid-November to the end of March for that very reason.

Doesn't stop people, though. Our street in Hamilton did the alternating sides thing (West side for half the month and East side for the other half) and there were still sometimes cars on both sides. I assume some ticketing happened but I didn't seem much evidence of behaviour changing.

Lastpointe

Older neighborhoods in Toronto often don’t have garages so it’s only street parking. And they do the half month one side, half the other. But it is hard to plow for sure. And horrible on garbage day,

my son is lucky, they new house has a garage off a back lane way. I love the Toronto lane ways

Jill

Standard practice in my borough - sort of - they do one side of the street, plough the snow to the middle of that lane with great performance of at least a couple of ploughs, a couple of sidewalk snowploughs, a walking traffic director and a driver in a city truck observing, then take it away. Repeat on the other side. Except for some reason this year (and it has happened in past years, too), on my side of the street, they blew the snow onto the front yards a couple of times instead of carting it off. Now I and my neighbours have a mountain of snow in front of our houses and my snow removal contractor has to blow the snow from my driveway even higher. I thought in the past it was because they were trying not to blow their budget but maybe it is because they were running into the deadline to complete clearing the streets.

Jill

I had a great friend who grew up in Montreal. She said in the winter the city plows would arrive on the block, blare horns and everyone would get out of bed and move their cars so the street could be plowed. And when she moved to Toronto she couldn’t believe the roads just kept getting narrower with parked cars and snow piles. She also could not believe we didn’t have massive snow melters which in Montreal simply melt the snow away during the night. But then Montreal gets tons of snow and Toronto not so much. Usually
Lastpointe, I learned something new. I had not heard of the massive snow melters and thought your friend was pranking you. After googling, I learned that a city just a few kilometers away purchased one of these machines a couple of year ago and the mayor thinks the $617,000 they paid for it was well worth the money. By the way, the melted snow goes down into the sewers, through a treatment plant and then out into the St. Lawrence River.

Lastpointe

Yes. Montreal dumps into the river. Toronto used to dump into the lake but I think 5at has been stopped. Oil, salt, grime from the snow isn’t good for the lake or the river

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I assume some ticketing happened but I didn't seem much evidence of behaviour changing.

Not enough, or charge wasn't high enough. The C of B by-law people are friggin' hawks, with snitches everywhere. Park your car wrong way around or block a sidewalk for half an hour and you'll have a ticket. They're hawkish enough to get compliance.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Good morning, all, as the snow disappears, either by sunshine or by dump truck, let us celebrate with hot beverages. All things are ready, help yourself.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]