Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Situations such as this should add to the understanding.
And this should have happened a while ago, while this outbreak is relatively new, there have been other hospitals with outbreaks where contact tracing should go beyond just who to test, but also looking at who tests positive & who does not and those interactions.
I would think some of this is being done, but I think it's unfortunately limited compared to what could be done. I do understand medical staff are under pressure, but automatic systems could ease a fair bit of that burden.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. But Misericordia is a terrible name for a hospital.
I feel like it's state matches it's name.
It's where my internist has hospital privileges. I had one of my MRIs there. It's funny when I was there with Chemguy I commented about how I had no idea they would prevent infections. I've seen some fairly sketchy looking hallway medicine, but mostly in emergency rooms in other hospitals. Basically public areas that didn't feel like that's what their intention was. There I didn't see an area where it was possible to keep much distance from others, people in stretchers every place I turned. I don't know how I could have gotten through if I was using a wheelchair. Even just the admitting area made me rather uncomfortable with the set up. And all of that was before much was being said about COVID.

I was very relieved when it ended up being my hematologist who put in the request for the biopsy. Had my internist done it, it would have been done there as well. Waiting areas weren't great at the University hospital either, ie. lots of waiting on a stretcher, no chairs for Chemguy type of thing, but the walking through hallways, the distancing wasn't an issue. So more just non-appealing 'parking' areas, but at least they felt like parking and not just sitting in a hallway, being jerked around as others go by.

Reaction score
Sounds like a mess there. Just the name sounds like satire, or children’s fiction - something from a cartoon, as in “Evil Doctor Dreadful at Misericordia” , though. Who thought that up back in the day? Its name precedes its reputation.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
It does use the root word of "misery". But it's meant to convey a deep mercy: the heart of God recognizing and breaking over the Misery inherent in the human condition. It's actually a very deep and beautiful word.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Although it could very well be a crappy hospital, lol. It has a good name, by Catholic/Latin standards.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Although it could very well be a crappy hospital, lol. It has a good name, by Catholic/Latin standards.
It is Catholic.
It's old and run down. The set up reminds me more of what's seen in a small town than in a major city. One main parking lot kind of thing. We had a snow storm after my MRI and I was not dressed for it as it's been a very long time since I was there and we were planning on paying for an indoor lot - no such thing!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Just looked at local latest numbers. Calgary & Edmonton are currently the same, good to see active cases decrease here. With surpassing Calgary & some of the outbreaks I was wondering what the longer trend was going to look like. Hopefully the hospital stuff gets controlled and no surge from Canada Day (although the weather likely helped to control some of that).

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I feel like this article is more balanced with the airborne thing - I would say we really don't know what's necessary for it to spread, and just meeting the necessary criteria doesn't mean it's likely.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
INTERMISSION

How the 1918 Spanish Flu was Beaten

Internet_20200707_021851.jpeg
[Image source: google]

Also (May 9th)

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Last edited:

Waterfall

Reaction score
Does anyone know if COVID can survive in water that is not treated with Chlorine such as lakes or salt water such as oceans? Can't find anything and it might be good to know if we're going to the beach right?

Also WHO is now considering announcing that COVID is airborne....seems they always suspected (translation, probably knew?) this but didn't want sudden shortages of N95 masks that developing countries might require. ( or anywhere else IMO)

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score

Sounds pretty safe to go to the beach, a little less so an outdoor pool, and not so good for indoor pool. But it seems to be mainly about breathing common air than picking up the virus from the water.

Waterfall

Reaction score

Sounds pretty safe to go to the beach, a little less so an outdoor pool, and not so good for indoor pool. But it seems to be mainly about breathing common air than picking up the virus from the water.
Well I know there are ongoing studies regarding this, but I can't find any conclusive tests either way.
You'd think the outdoor/indoor pools with social distancing would be less risky if water was another form of transport for the virus as well as airborne, because of the chlorine used..
Anyway, I was curious....

EasternOrthodox

Reaction score
Worth discussing.....perhaps opening a new thread to talk about it would be a good idea.
I agree. Cases discussing the same area could be grouped. Maybe start a new thread. I’m familiar with the situation in Yemen. it’s been scandalous how Iran is arming Shiites and Saudi Arabia is arming Sunnis.

There’s no way to stop them. After the Middle East excursions of 2000s I doubt any Western government could drum any enthusiasm for more wars.