A very tragic teen suicide ..... she was trans....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

We have been working on becoming affirming and have set a goal of being officially Affirming by the end of 2015 (or the AGM in early 2016). When things like this happens I feel it is important to be a visible presence that says 'Not all Christians are like that.'

Seeler, I think that is especially important. There are Christians who need that support and who can't break away from their faith. The UCCan should be the official "we're not all like that" denomination, and position yourselves as such. Give these kids another place to turn. It can only help both of you.

I feel very strongly that our congregation needs to be seen as a welcoming place for LGBTQ, particularly teens. When I think of kids trapped in pews in non-safe congregations, it makes me quite ill. The fact that our church is situated between two high schools and a community college makes it even more important that we be a refuge.

We've started on the Affirming process; got stalled a bit this fall, but hoping to resume in the winter/spring. I'll have a bit more time for other stuff, like this, once my Chair duties are complete in January.

Thank you Bette, Seeler, and Justme .....
Affirming congregations are an important spiritual resource for LGBTQ youth and adults.
Justme ...... the thread where I had sort of bared my soul is still here and available.
http://www.wondercafe2.ca/index.php?threads/transgenderism-ask-your-questions.711/
I feel compelled to reach out to the sort of churches that Leelah had to attend.....
Trapped ....... trapped and shamed ........
I need to find a way and an approach.....
Please .... everyone .... I am open to suggestions because I am going to do something.
Thank you.....

RitaTg, you are doing something, by posting, by sharing your story and your way of focussing the conversation.

A member of our congregation started TorchLight, which has reached out to other locals. A safe place for folks who are transgender, moving through the various stages of transition and families and friends. For other churches in different areas, it could be something to consider.

http://www.ucobserver.org/justice/2007/11/a_change_of_body_mind_and_soul/

http://cioc.cmhagrb.on.ca/record/GCL1557

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TransHealthLobbyRHN/conversations/messages/2138

Hi Rita. I just posted some links quick in the original post (sorry for that , was editing to add the links as you responded)

The first link is a story from way back about Michelle and our church.
The 2nd is a link from a formal association.
The 3rd has recent information about the groups from Michelle.

My church is most certainly not affirming - and has no plans to become so either. I recall that for a short time one of our semi-regular adherents came to church with her girlfriend - but that didn't last for too long. Our stance as a collective seems to be - we're okay if you're gay - etc.- so long as you keep it entirely to yourself.

My church is most certainly not affirming - and has no plans to become so either. I recall that for a short time one of our semi-regular adherents came to church with her girlfriend - but that didn't last for too long. Our stance as a collective seems to be - we're okay if you're gay - etc.- so long as you keep it entirely to yourself.

Sorry, Jae, but expecting people to keep it to themself is not OK with being gay. Does your church expect straight people to keep being straight to themselves.

How do you feel about this Jae?

I asked about you Pastor Jae ..... what about YOU??????
...and you stood by silently while this gay couple were made to feel unwelcome????????
Please .... I do hope this is not true......

I asked about you Pastor Jae ..... what about YOU??????
...and you stood by silently while this gay couple were made to feel unwelcome????????
Please .... I do hope this is not true......

While they were with us as a couple - I was as friendly with them as I am in general with the church. And then - in just a short matter of time - they were no longer attending as a couple.

While they were with us as a couple - I was as friendly with them as I am in general with the church. And then - in just a short matter of time - they were no longer attending as a couple.
This is not the essence of what I have been asking of you......
Please ...... again .... the original questions....
What about in your church? ... in your denomination?
Will you stand up for us there even when we are not visible?
Will you help???????

You know what I am asking .... please ... enough evading ..... please answer directly...

Lauren_Renee_Hotchkiss_sm.jpg "
Somewhere during the course of the last three or four thousand years the whole subject of transgenderism was blown out of proportion and transformed into a societal taboo. The issue is not really one of what clothing we choose to wear upon our bodies, however, nor of the gender role we adopt – I mean c'mon, God "couldn't care less," – but of how we have been taught to feel about it. Objectively, then, it must be as "right" for us to express ourselves in one gender presentation as in another.

Beyond whatever stereotypes we use to separate from one another, we are all one, and neither the clothes we wear, our gender or sexual preferences, nor the color of our skin, are really of any importance. What is important is that we are all here for a purpose; to discover the unity of all people, and realize the connectedness we all share.

Perhaps, one day, the time will come when anatomy is no longer the arbiter of permissible dress and behavior, and it will no longer matter what we choose to wear, nor how we wish to behave, as long as we do no harm to others; when we will no longer have to think in terms of cross dressing or of expressing the appropriate gender, but of just being ourselves." - Rev. Lauren Renée Hotchkiss

How do you feel about this Jae?
This is not the essence of what I have been asking of you......
Please ...... again .... the original questions....
What about in your church? ... in your denomination?
Will you stand up for us there even when we are not visible?
Will you help???????

You know what I am asking .... please ... enough evading ..... please answer directly...

What I will continue to strive for is to treat everyone I meet with Christian love and compassion. How exactly that will play itself out in the future is for me to discover.

Back