A very tragic teen suicide ..... she was trans....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Thank you revsdd ....
Waterfall ..... I agree ..... there are enough demons here without creating new ones.....

Then help us spread the word and stop this madness.
You are in a position to do so ...... will you speak up for us?

Should I meet one of you in my neighbourhood - I will be as respectful to them as to anyone else. They are not my enemy - and we all need Christian love.

I doubt that was the parents intent and I feel that is an unfair statement with regards to the parents.

I'm sure the parents absolutely intended to love their child. Their understanding of how to do that is what seems to have been lacking. If I was pointing out a demon - the monster was not the parents themselves but elements of their belief system.

I know I have not been posting much on other threads.....
It is somewhat hard to quibble about the nuances of scripture or whatever when huge issues like this loom over us.
I will admit ..... I have been struggling and I would rather focus on compassion, love, and kindness.
I need to keep my focus there ... perhaps later I will be up to the tussle of debate on other issues.

Reactions: Jae
Should I meet one of you in my neighbourhood - I will be as respectful to them as to anyone else. They are not my enemy - and we all need Christian love.
What about in your church? ... in your denomination?
Will you stand up for us there even when we are not visible?
Will you help???????

What about in your church? ... in your denomination?
Will you stand up for us there even when we are not visible?
Will you help???????

Rita - I hear your request for help. I do. However - I've been called to serve the people of a particular neighbourhood in Toronto - and thus far the issues surrounding this suicide have not yet become relevant there. I know of no one who is trans in our neighbourhood.

I doubt that was the parents intent and I feel that is an unfair statement with regards to the parents.

I think you're right that it wasn't the parents intent, but I think you're wrong that Jae's statement is unfair. Jae didn't say that the parents drove Leelah to suicide. He said their faith did. I think that's quite accurate. Any faith that instills in a person such a denial, such an absolute rejection and possibly even such a hatred of who their own child felt they were is not truly of Christ. I'm 100% with Jae on that. What the parents believed made it impossible for them to accept their own child. That is a tragedy, and not of Christ.

Rita - I hear your request for help. I do. However - I've been called to serve the people of a particular neighbourhood in Toronto - and thus far the issues surrounding this suicide have not yet become relevant there. I know of no one who is trans in our neighbourhood.
Not good enough Jae...
Please ... please answer my request....

In Toronto ..... 39% of homeless youth were LGBTQ
Half of those are trans.....
Here in Sudbury most of are trans youth that are homeless cite religious objections at home.

I think you're right that it wasn't the parents intent, but I think you're wrong that Jae's statement is unfair. Jae didn't say that the parents drove Leelah to suicide. He said their faith did. I think that's quite accurate. Any faith that instills in a person such a denial, such an absolute rejection and possibly even such a hatred of who their own child felt they were is not truly of Christ. I'm 100% with Jae on that. What the parents believed made it impossible for them to accept their own child. That is a tragedy, and not of Christ.
Well can one take it further then that their minister/or the denomination is responsible for misinterpreting scripture and not providing the proper guidance? We can place blame all over the place, but the reality is we are not always comfortable with different points of view.

I think any child or adolescent is still trying to get to know themselves. It's a very critical time of life and being transgendered or gay would only add to the angst. Not all parents are prepared for everything that is thrown at them and not every child is born strong. It's a very hard world to grow up in if one feels they are in any way "different". Kids need to know that "different" is not necessarily a bad thing and learn to honour their unique selves. It takes time and awareness. And sometimes kids are experts at hiding the obvious signs that would alert us.

Well can one take it further then that their minister/or the denomination is responsible for misinterpreting scripture and not providing the proper guidance? We can place blame all over the place, but the reality is we are not always comfortable with different points of view.

No argument with any of that. Any faith that spews hatred, however, needs to be named and confronted. And, as I read the article, Leelah herself was most affected by the faith of her parents.

.... It's a very hard world to grow up in if one feels they are in any way "different". Kids need to know that "different" is not necessarily a bad thing and learn to honour their unique selves. It takes time and awareness. And sometimes kids are experts at hiding the obvious signs that would alert us.
Pay attention to this jae - people are likely among you and unrecognized or still hidden because no voice they hear indicates it would be safe for them to be otherwise.

(Since I know in my neighbourhood neither youth who are trans nor parents of trans youth - what else would you have me do?)
Bring this up in your church and in your denomination!
Start the conversation!!!!!
You may be surprised who is hiding in plain sight.
Why do we have to have "someone" before we act???????
When there is a tragedy somewhere ... like the tsunami overseas or someone in another community displaced by fire or whatever do we not react?
This boils down to who is your neighbour???? Do I have to die on your doorstep to be worth addressing?
I do hope you get my point......
Now ... again .... please ..... will you help Pastor Jae????????

News outlets are doing everything they can to avoid publishing that Leelah's suicide note makes extensive mention of her parent's Christian faith and their actions informed by their faith. There is an extreme unwillingness to look these losses in the eye and identify the root causes.

News to me. The Globe's version of the story mentions the role of Christianity in her problems at least twice, referring to the mother's lack of acceptance and the use of "Christian therapy". They also published a screenshot of the full note for those who care to read it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nce-for-transgender-identity/article22247353/

Leelah's blog now has another post. She set it up to publish her pre-written posts at certain times. While the technology is impressive, it's all incredibly heart-wrenching. I doubt she knew the reach her words would have. Sad that it takes her death for her thoughts to be heard.

Leelah's blog now has another post. She set it up to publish her pre-written posts at certain times. While the technology is impressive, it's all incredibly heart-wrenching. I doubt she knew the reach her words would have. Sad that it takes her death for her thoughts to be heard.
Sad indeed .... heart wrenchingly sad.....
Still ...even in her death her parents haven't heard her.....
The very ones we so desperately want to listen the most are the most profoundly deaf....

The parents are going to need protection at this rate.
And that is another sad thing caused by a reaction that will only remove focus from the real core issue.
The parents should be left alone ..... just leave them alone ..... they have done enough....

When my cousin passed and it became known that he was gay and using a different first name - his obituary said X, Y - known to his friends as "Z" (all the same gender, I"m not sure why he felt he needed to change his first name). I think this is a good compromise and honours everyone.

I don't know you Rita, but I am sorry things are tough for you.

Our church is looking to become an affirming congregation - I missed the first discussion group but I hear it was respectful and probing.

Back