what are you reading?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Metalhead ape rockin' out
Pronouns
He/Him/His
@Mendalla
Just listened to that song and Thank You

So much wonderful energy and creativity there :3
Though you might enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of Sabaton's music myself (I only discovered them because their drummer is married to my current favorite singer) but I like the history aspect. They've even set up a second YouTube channel where they talk about the actual history behind the songs. Not sure if they have an episode on the Night Witches or not. I'm more into ancient history so haven't really paid it much attention.

Delightful Life

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Ok
I tried to read
The Dawn of Everything
By the two Davids
Only got so far
Will try to finish it before I move on from this physical plane

Really interesting thesis tho...linking Enlightenment movement to Europeans interacting with New World cultures (that none of it was even on the European radar UNTIL they met with critique of their way of life from NEW WORLDZ--i really like stuff like this--new thoughts etc)
But man what a slog for me lol (i keep forgetting that when i learn something new it is more difficult)
--the Stinking Libbie

Luce NDs

I couldn't say what I read into as the powers would condemn it ... or those believing they are powers when they fell short ...

Mortal fracture?

Delightful Life

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
20220602_151335.jpg

The Great Science Fictonal GrammarMagastrix Herself, Margaret Atwood, riffs on a bit of Canadian Comicbook History :3

(Along w/co author Ken Steacy, Artist Ken Steacy)

Here is her Forward

20220602_152013.jpg

Set in 1943 Toronto

Delightful Life

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Looks like a fun though bit sad read.
I found poignancy there, yes
Also how writers can inspire
The effects of dreams
The immigrant experience
Social norms
Marginal people and their experience
How WW2 managed to cut off colour comics from Canada so that Canada could thrive with its own black and white comics...
Until WW2 ended...
So o_O :eek: :mad: :whistle: :love:

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
The Great Science Fictonal GrammarMagastrix Herself, Margaret Atwood, riffs on a bit of Canadian Comicbook History :3
Who has dabbled in the artform herself in recent years, for those who do not know.

Delightful Life

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
*squeee*

Guess who I found just lying aboot the Church's "orphan book" collection?

Varieties
Of
Religious
Experience

I have a copy again :3

Nancy

I'm reading "Five Little Indians" by Michelle Good. And I'm listening to book number 3 of a mystery series by Robert Galbraith.

Luce NDs

Just finished The Forest of Disappearing Stars ... very brute and mystical as if it goes on in a mystical forest ... some would say so much gump as they can't read into the darker's ide ... too inky? Swamp theory ... like a Celtic Moor ... that's Eire ...

Luce NDs

Correction: The Forest of Vanishing Stars ... still a sense of feinting light ... interpret it as you will even if attempting to take advantage of some other deficit ... it may be self-destructive ... like Na Zae -ism! The 4 C's of the go round of the compass!

May include character development ... if you can imagine present ... our present appears unimaginable! Time machinations grind on ... in the eternal spatial Ani ... a concern, as onus?

Nancy

I just finished reading the fifth in the Cormorant Strike series...a series written by Robert Galbraith, a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling. This book was called "Troubled Blood" and was over 1000 pages long! I got really hooked on this series and ploughed through all five books in relatively (for me) quick time. The sixth is coming out in August, and there is a tv series on them, but I don't have access to it. Now I can read/listen to other books, now that this addiction has reached an end!

Waterfall

I just finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha
It's a book that I picked up from a used bookstore.
Beautifully written and worth reading, about the life of a geisha in Japan and how she was led into the life from poverty in the 1920s.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Starting to read The Perdiccas Years, 323-320 BC by Tristan Hughes. Hughes has a degree in ancient history from Edinburgh and is the host of The Ancients, the ancient history podcast that is my go-to podcast these days. It covers the beginning of the period of Mediterranean history dominated by the Diodachi, the successors of Alexander the Great. This begins with the death of Alexander and the first conflicts among his generals for control of the empire he built. I am guessing more volumes will follow since conflicts among the Diodachi went on until 275BC, at which point the Hellenistic kingdoms that dominated until the coming of the Romans to the Eastern Mediterranean were established.

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
Starting to read The Perdiccas Years, 323-320 BC by Tristan Hughes. Hughes has a degree in ancient history from Edinburgh and is the host of The Ancients, the ancient history podcast that is my go-to podcast these days. It covers the beginning of the period of Mediterranean history dominated by the Diodachi, the successors of Alexander the Great. This begins with the death of Alexander and the first conflicts among his generals for control of the empire he built. I am guessing more volumes will follow since conflicts among the Diodachi went on until 275BC, at which point the Hellenistic kingdoms that dominated until the coming of the Romans to the Eastern Mediterranean were established.
Great book if you're into ancient history. The Successor Wars have never received as much attention as Alexander himself, but there's some great stories that come out of that period. Hughes frequently alludes to the Successor Wars as being the Macedonian Game of Thrones and it's an apt description. The text focuses on storytelling with the academic nitty-gritty kept mostly in the copious end notes. There's a nice gallery of colour plates at the end, some are photos of locations, busts of people, etc. involved in the events, some are paintings illustrating troop types, fighting formations, etc. Looking forward to Tristan continuing the story.

As I have been reading The Perdiccas Years, I have also been reading another book that I found through The Ancients. The Rise and Reign of the Mammals is by paleontologist Steve Brusatte, an American teaching at University of Edinburgh. He chronicles the evolution of the dominant family of vertebrates from when synapsids (ancestors of mammals) split from diapsids (ancestors of reptiles, dinosaurs, and birds) through to the appearance of the mammals we know and love today, including a certain bipedal primate. He looks at the impact of events like mass extinctions and climate changes on evolution. He also highlights researchers, both current and historical, who have helped piece together the history of mammals and has some good stories to tell about them, too, many from personal experience of meeting and working with them.

JayneWonders

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I recently read two books ---- reading had been less due to focussing on sewing.

Absolutely loved the Louise Penny book "The Madness of Crowds" -- plan to read it again, it was so good. I had given up on her for a bit, glad to read one that is back to the quality that i loved at first.

I also read a rather interesting book called "Sisters" by Daisy Johnson. I am glad that I read it, but, it was not something that I could just pick up and put down. needed focussed reading.
here is a review: ‘Sisters’ Builds a Gothic Plot to an Artful and Shocking Climax (Published 2020)

Mendalla

Pronouns
He/Him/His
As I have been reading The Perdiccas Years, I have also been reading another book that I found through The Ancients. The Rise and Reign of the Mammals is by paleontologist Steve Brusatte, an American teaching at University of Edinburgh. He chronicles the evolution of the dominant family of vertebrates from when synapsids (ancestors of mammals) split from diapsids (ancestors of reptiles, dinosaurs, and birds) through to the appearance of the mammals we know and love today, including a certain bipedal primate. He looks at the impact of events like mass extinctions and climate changes on evolution. He also highlights researchers, both current and historical, who have helped piece together the history of mammals and has some good stories to tell about them, too, many from personal experience of meeting and working with them.
Just starting Brusatte's other book, The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. It's a similar approach and format, starting with the ancestors of the dinosaurs in the Cambrian through Permian, then looking at how creatures recognizably dinosaurs appeared in the Triassic Period after the mass extinction at the end of the Permian. Dinosaurs are actually what got Brusatte interested in paleontology (common story in that field) with his interest in mammals developing during and after his doctoral work. This one also got an episode on The Ancients, which is actually where I first heard of Brusatte.

Luce NDs

The Power of Silence ... that stuff that resides between thought and language according to one investigator of what's missing ... thus we should don one or more to get multi etudes of thought! Then there are theories that say humans are contrary to such non matter! Avoid anti matter when possible it could be shocking ... disposing of the una WOKE as no longer psychosomatic? Imagine something from nothing ... an abstract in the midst of the ultimate? Ultimate being at the end of a process ... for those despising mental processing and thus it Don Guan as Juante d elsewhere ... maybe haunting ... all in the word as a wheel is spoke ... spooky?

These things demand that you read into them because of the ultimate depth ... there may be no end as space presents as a icon or sighing to no end as a light hiss! Quantum chance ... most will not hear because of lack of listening or looking ... thus unheard and unseen because of disinterest in tomorrow ... narcist demand it in their sense of presence ... expect drift!

G awed ... in the mystery ... awesome what is hidden there as disposed Gnostic ... it didn't adhere well ... few grasp!

Sin-use ... de tendon pain ... as ruem at OID, or Oyed! Still discomforting as observed in the rye ... epi stem ol ogæ! Like Jungian science ... no end to that ... in ultimate? I was told that should be written down thus wrot as stinking word to those not desiring to read as NU's! Captivating ... when nothing left to Luæçe ...

Last edited: