Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Nice to have a new kitchen
Yeah, we need to replace our counters and should probably get the cupboards done at the same time. Alas, we didn't think of it when the kitchen door and floor were replaced (the door was leaking and the boards under the floor in that part of the kitchen rotted as a result) so now we are holding off until COVID gets more settled. Just don't want contractors traipsing around the house at the moment.

Good morning. It is sunny this minute. It may be a day where rainy and sunny dance through the day

It is. The last time we had a completely new kitchen was in 1983 when we built our dream house. In 1996, we renovated a duplex we had just purchased and re-arranged the kitchen but only changed the countertop, sink, and faucet.

This is the last place we plan to live so want it the way we want it now. Next year we will work in the front and back decks, but whatever changes we might make will be minor changes.

But there were many difficult moments and anxious times. It was interesting to work in a house built 54 years ago by someone who occasionally built things in an expected way.

I loved the look of our kitchen when we bought our house 3 years ago. The cupboards are off-white. Later, the previous owner asked us about cupboards specifically. Reason: they were oak and the realtor advised them to paint them

Now, we realize the person who did them did not work hard enough at prepping the cabinets. Lots of pain has gone from locations that get hand / oil residue

It's fine but a reminder that all homes need upkeep

Honestly, Jayne, even if you use the proper cabinet paint, and prep properly, you're going to get chipping. Repainting every 4 or 5 years is a pain.

I'm impressed with my tomato usage this year. There's always a fair bit of waste just due to their nature, a decent number rot before use. I didn't have many rot though because they sat overripe. Chemguy helped as he did make sauce once himself.

Right now I have 1 bowl full of washed tomato to be used for something that won't be frozen, considering roasting before they go into some sort of salad/bowl.
There's also still a number of unripe ones in the basement, an orange roma type. They tend to store well even after ripe. There's not a lot of those left either, enough to do a batch of roasted tomato sauce for a few dinners, easily useable without freezing.

I was a bit surprised by some cherry tomatoes I had picked and thrown into a large mixing bowl. Went I was using those up yesterday I thought I had neglected them too long, they have been sitting in there for weeks. Nope out of the entire bowl I tossed maybe 10 and some of them were shriveled but still green.

I think if I had oak I would have been more tempted to sand down and urethane...Mine are a kind of grainy pine...

Greetings! The coffee cart is up and running. As we discuss tomato usage and kitchen re-dos, as we speak of weather and many other topics of interest, let us drink warning beverages of all kinds, and relax.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

We harvested our volunteer potatoes on the weekend and some of our volunteer tomatoes. Still lots of tomatoes in the garden.

Imagine the rites of volunteering to go into the great unknown!

Some folk do not understand the great unknown and the degree of autonomy! Thus it remains unknown ...

Good morning, all! The coffee cart is open. As potatoes and tomatoes are being gathered, and Thanksgiving not too far off, let us give thanks for the bounty of the earth, and pledge to care for its climate, lands, waters, and atmospheres.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

And this morning another notice of someone else to be interred in the piece of ground over which I preside ...

The numbers are astonishing and I was told I should reserve a piece as this job could be the end of me as "ultimate" is defined!

C'est fini? yet something appears to continue ... bummer of Ho Bo?

It occurs to me that I rarely post good news. This morning, I saw a post on FB from my favourite cuz, who was awarded a district (a village within a larger city) award for "Best front garden in the P______ Bloom Competition". It is lovely, but I know that two years ago, it were nothing but bricks and crappy dirt. The man has embraced composting and nettle fertilizer with a passion seen often in the newly retired, which he is, LOL.

243802022_10224341457431689_576917480673970905_n.jpg

It occurs to me that I rarely post good news. This morning, I saw a post on FB from my favourite cuz, who was awarded a district (a village within a larger city) award for "Best front garden in the P______ Bloom Competition". It is lovely, but I know that two years ago, it were nothing but bricks and crappy dirt. The man has embraced composting and nettle fertilizer with a passion seen often in the newly retired, which he is, LOL.

243802022_10224341457431689_576917480673970905_n.jpg
I keep meaning to nominate a house for the front yards in bloom contest. 2 years ago I was way too late, this year, just slightly too late. The nomination period is a bit ridiculous considering when things 'bloom' here.
In the neighbourhood the 'kandy korn lane' street gets tons of nominations, as a few people who live there nominate a lot of people on the street. Some of the houses I get it but not all of them..

Good morning! Today is Truth and Reconciliation Day, a new Federal holiday. Let us celebrate the day finding truth and seeking reconciliation. As the coffee cart is up and running, we can begin here with caffeinated beverages and conversation.

Also, kudos to those who have won awards for their gardens!

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_] :coffee:

Back