Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Good morning, all! As we begin our second thousand pages of this thread, let us raise a cup or mug in salute to the first 1000 pages of sharing, caring,
camaraderie, and, of course, tea and coffee shared. May your gardens flourish, may your trees be always impressive (after all, they give off oxygen!) and may your day be blessed.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

I had no problem accessing the census. Got the simple form. Basically name age language
Ditto. I got in later with no problem.

I have been poking around the Ancestry website lately. Learned that my great grandmother was born in Scotland thanks to info from the 1921 Canadian census. At that time each household member was asked where their parents were born.

Apparently the information from the 1931 census will be released in two years time. Census records are sealed for 92 years.

Coffee is good today. I guess we have polished off that birthday cake by now?

I had no problem accessing the census. Got the simple form. Basically name age language
Just got my notice yesterday so haven't tried yet. Maybe tonight.
I have been poking around the Ancestry website lately. Learned that my great grandmother was born in Scotland thanks to info from the 1921 Canadian census. At that time each household member was asked where their parents were born.
My little brother used it a few years back to expand on the genealogy work Mom and her brother had done back in the eighties. We have varying amounts of information for different branches of the tree.

I got my census form yesterday. Filled out online, no problem, done. Nice to know that I have been counted.

Oh, and Happy Star Wars Day!!! May the Fourth be with you!!

May The Fourth Be With You Star Wars GIF

We have varying amounts of information for different branches of the tree.
We are the same.

I have taken some of my info from other people's trees. It would be a good idea to check more actual sources of info. Folks sometimes copy mistakes or hypotheses from each other.

Good morning, all! As we ponder censuses (What is the plural of that? Censue? Censa? Any thoughts?) and genealogical pursuits to find our roots, may we find the roots of friendships around the coffee cart. It's ready, by the way, to fill your virtual hot drinks of all kinds needs. (Somewhere an English Grammar teacher just got a migraine)

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

So you know those little packages of plant food that come with cut flowers? I opened one today and the crystals were darkish, damp and clumped together. I mixed them with water and it turned bright purple.

Weirdest thing of all is my fingertips are stained dark brown now. It won't wash off.

I dumped the purple water out.
What do you make of this?

So you know those little packages of plant food that come with cut flowers? I opened one today and the crystals were darkish, damp and clumped together. I mixed them with water and it turned bright purple.

Weirdest thing of all is my fingertips are stained dark brown now. It won't wash off.

I dumped the purple water out.
What do you make of this?

This is definitely a question for @ChemGal. The dark brown makes me think of iodine...

As I am not working as much, I decided to move my office home, and set it up in the sunroom, with my desk facing out over the yard. I was surprised to see a fox cut through the backyard at about 11am. The dog was closer to the house, busy having a pee, and didn't notice it right away, but, did pick up the sent later. Internet is not great, but, the setting is just fine.

Took a look at the package and it says ethylene absorbent. I am thinking it must have been attached to the flowers in error.
Could have been there to keep them fresh in transit. Look into what they contain, likely potassium permanganate that made it purple and would have oxidized your fingers.

In about an hour we are joining a Cinco de Mayo party - hosted online by a local dance studio. The Mexican holiday commemorates the date of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The victory was short lived as I understand it, and France re-occupied Mexico for some years into the future. But May 5 is a celebration party nevertheless! So we will mix some margaritas, make some guacamole to snack on, and after the party have some fish tostadas for supper. There will be a Mexican dance demo & lesson, a guacomole making lesson, some trivia questions and who knows what else during the hour long zoom party - should be a little something fun & colourful to break up the pandemic tedium. Ole!

Back