Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
I have discovered that BBQing habits depend on your BBQ. With my ancient charcoal Weber knock-off, it was something of a production, involving briquettes, newspaper, wood chips, a fire starting stove pipe, etc., and it was enough bother that you certainly didn't put it together for one burger or sausage. Now that I've acquired a large modern propane BBQ, it was quite a bit earlier this year that I pulled off the cover, dusted around for spiders, then fired it up for lamb chops for one.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Good news/bad news?
I've been told to take baths for eczema, and my eyes have been really bad again (got another cortisone shot a little while ago, and still bad). Decided to do the same for my face with a bowl of water and I threw in a little bit of coconut oil too.

Really bad reaction, have been miserable all week But I think that confirms coconut as the problem (funny I can eat it no issue I think, although will cut it out for a bit until my skin is ok and test that out with eating it to see what happens).

It seems silly I haven't been able to figure this out, but it's weird as I have cleared up minor eczema in the past with coconut oil and I have tried olive oil one eyelid, coconut oil the other, type of thing and never picked up on a difference. I also use the oil on other body parts without a problem. Coconut is in EVERYTHING though. Even the hand soap that seems to be ok. My guess it is just rinses out well.

So bad news, bad reaction, it's in pretty much everything, the majority of soaps use coconut oil that has been saponified.
Good news I've figured it out.

If someone has coconut free soap/shampoo suggestions I'm all ears, also sourcing info (I can find lists, but then getting the products is a problem). Preferably without ridiculous shipping charges. They also need to avoid all the extra crap too, essential oils, fragrance, etc. I may have to look into recipes, getting sodium hydroxide isn't hard to make my own or ask soap/shampoo makers to make some for me.

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Good morning! Happy Thursday! As we figure how to clean fingertips stained by plant food packs, think about year round BBQ's, and eczema situations, let us rejoice in hot beverages around the coffee cart. All things are ready.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
If someone has coconut free soap/shampoo suggestions I'm all ears, also sourcing info (I can find lists, but then getting the products is a problem)

There appears to be coconut oil (well, cocamidopropyl betaine) in the shampoo and conditioner my dermatologist suggested (Free & Clear), and also in the Dove soap she recommended. I think you're going to be better off to hook up with a local soap-maker.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
There appears to be coconut oil (well, cocamidopropyl betaine) in the shampoo and conditioner my dermatologist suggested (Free & Clear), and also in the Dove soap she recommended. I think you're going to be better off to hook up with a local soap-maker.
Majority of soaps, moisturizers etc. have coconut oil components. I'm hoping that I don't need to avoid them all, will likely need to be trial and error, but it's hard as it's not immediate and I even tried a bandaid with the shampoo and that was fine but not using it for a little while.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
There's clearly a similar, minor, similarity in our immune profiles, @ChemGal. I come from a whole family of people with tons of allergies, skin stuff, asthma, etc. Many years of prednisone basically ended my Dad's life, although it also extended it so that he didn't die of asthma too young. What I find is that I find stuff that works - for a while that Neutrogena T-gel shampoo was a miracle for my scalp - that suddenly viciously turns on me. And the daily non-drowsy antihistamine seems to work better if I rotate between the three available.

I worked in the Research Office of the Faculty of Medicine at U of T for a few years (admin, not clinical). My boss, the Associate Dean of Research, was an immunologist, whose staff discovered that my blood had some interesting T-cell activity, so I was often a semi-voluntary blood donor...

ChemGal

One with keen eye
There's clearly a similar, minor, similarity in our immune profiles, @ChemGal. I come from a whole family of people with tons of allergies, skin stuff, asthma, etc. Many years of prednisone basically ended my Dad's life, although it also extended it so that he didn't die of asthma too young. What I find is that I find stuff that works - for a while that Neutrogena T-gel shampoo was a miracle for my scalp - that suddenly viciously turns on me. And the daily non-drowsy antihistamine seems to work better if I rotate between the three available.

I worked in the Research Office of the Faculty of Medicine at U of T for a few years (admin, not clinical). My boss, the Associate Dean of Research, was an immunologist, whose staff discovered that my blood had some interesting T-cell activity, so I was often a semi-voluntary blood donor...
It's especially frustrating when it's things that used to work well when my skin was irritated. And even something like glaxal base has coconut oil stuff in it.
I might end up on a biologic.
I also wonder if oral immunotherapy works for eczema type reactions. I'm down with a bit of coconut oil every day if so.