Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Something to think about. The information in this article shows that’s it’s ok to question, and that the science on vaccine safety is not ‘settled.’ We must ask ourselves, why are there terms like ‘anti-vax’ and why does big media constantly try to ridicule any information that paints vaccines in a concerning light?

Surely the questioning of vaccine safety is in the best interest of all parties involved?

At the end of the day, it’s not about who is right and who is wrong, and it’s not about one side or the other. It’s about coming together in a peaceful manner and understanding the concerns that are being raised, and dealing with them, addressing, and responding to them appropriately. We cannot hold hate in our own being if we want to rid the world of it, and we cannot use ridicule and judgement against, otherwise we are simply perpetuating what we are trying to get rid of.

Operating from a place of peace is essential, it helps to see things in a clearer way, and it’s something that needs to become a necessity for all parties involved, whether you support vaccination or do not.

Reprinted with permission from Collective Evolution.

Remember how we boasted about how much we had learned about pandemics from SARS?
So now what would you say we're learning about "lock downs" during this COVID pandemic?
As a "casual observer" it seems to me we stare at the very results of those countries who are flaunting the rules of social distancing and isolations by reopening too soon after the first signs of success, while we watch the horrendous results of doing so and shrug our shoulders and move forward with our own reopenings. (arkensas, florida, texas and more surprisingly california)
We in Ontario are barely out of the woods and our reopenings already are producing hot spots of cases.....bars, nail salons, unmonitored gatherings, beaches, 177 cases of migrant workers, opening retirement/nursing homes to visitors because most think social isolation is more harmful (except when numerous deaths are occurring), surges of young people being affected. Our "curve" has not flattened to zero, but it seems to have reached an acceptable amount of deaths and longer recoveries to go ahead with our reopenings.
To me, one of the greatest things we're learning, is that large populations can only tolerate and sustain a period of a mere 3 to 4 months before we "crack" and start to ignore actual facts that are staring us in the face as other countries do the same. The virus doesn't seem to have a time limit of 3 to 4 months that coincides with our selfish desire to run amuck when our patience grows thin and resurges are common.
Here's California today, a state that was proud of the effectiveness of their early closures and safe guards put in place, and maybe it's not so much that their luck ran out as much as they reopened too soon:

I feel, business people are forcing our hand, people are demanding it and economics requires us to work for another kind of survival.
What do you think? Is our lifestyle more important than lives.....especially if it's not our own? Do we actually have the means to survive this COVID intrusion without a vaccine if we continued to "buckle down" and just continued our stringent rules and closures longer?
Why do we continue to profess that we are in need of "social interaction" when we have always had a problem of "loneliness" increasing within our society? (eg. the elderly, young people)
Also wars have gone on for years and people were forced to deal with it with no end in sight, is this not just another kind of war?
Are we being selfish?
I understand it, once it was out, the plan was to never stop it, it was all about healthcare, and that's ok. With reopening we also had more and faster turnaround time for testing.

We humans have been abusing the natural world for a long while. We have polluted the waters which comprise the bulk of our physical being. We have polluted the air which animates our physical being. Why would we be surprised as nature pushes back?

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.“

I understand it, once it was out, the plan was to never stop it, it was all about healthcare, and that's ok. With reopening we also had more and faster turnaround time for testing.

They are also expecting some outbreaks with reopening and have the tools to respond now.

We humans have been abusing the natural world for a long while. We have polluted the waters which comprise the bulk of our physical being. We have polluted the air which animates our physical being. Why would we be surprised as nature pushes back?

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.“
Whoops wrong poster

The one condo building has now had 50 cases. To give an idea of how bad of an outbreak that is here, the province overall has 559 active cases. While some in the condo have recovered already, so not 50 cases all at once, that still seems really high. The assumption is that it's common touch points still. Have people really given up on hand hygiene that quickly?

Australia has done a good job at handling this pandemic. Compared to many advanced western countries, we Aussies are more laid-back when it comes to placing too much price on individual freedom. When we had a mass shooting, it was a no-brainer to ban automatic guns etc......

So, when it came to demands to close our international borders we were happy to comply. Same situation with lockdown.
Middle-aged and boomers were raised to do "what our those in authority told us to do" -which, despite its flaws, worked well with a pandemic lockdown. But, like the rest of the world, our twenties/thirties were given more individual freedom and so are not surprisingly a growing percentage of those affected with this coronavirus -now that there has been an opening up of lockdown.

At present there are many clusters or hotspots in the state of Victoria. Lockdown of relevant postcodes has been re-introduced - we'll see how that goes......

Coming out of lockdown has highlighted for me two major areas of concern, apart from the behaviour of our young people (some, but not all!)

There is a rise in infection in migrant areas. Most of the warnings etc on television and radio are in English. Thus, non-English speakers/readers have to go searching for coronavirus info. This needs to be addressed. Also, the nuclear family model is not as common in many migrant communities - with many generations living together.

Secondly, we have to confront what the ever-widening gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots" has contributed to the pandemic figures. For our income deprived, the ability to "self-isolate" is a privilege they can't afford -they need to work to pay the rent and put food on the table.

As with climate change, this pandemic is highlighting for me that we humans have lost the plot in living with each other and our environment. (Something I might add that our Australian aboriginals - the oldest surviving culture in the entire world - have been telling us for years)......

Did you read the link above I posted? Seems they were doing pretty well for a state with 40 million until they reopened.
Sorry, I missed that, I will take a look. Here we do have plan in place as when to add in more restrictions. So far, the watch areas do fizzle out here, not ramp up. I didn't think the US was close in terms of testing.

Hmm, hard to make direct comparisons with the numbers I see. I'm not thrilled about some of the things that are opening, I think we could be more conservative beyond just keeping healthcare functional, but I do acknowledge there are tradeoffs being made regardless of the decision.
I know for me, I will keep an eye on the local numbers.

Initially , at least to me, shut downs and rules were about trying to keep infections and morbidity low and not overwhelm hospitals. In fact hospitals are quite empty now which is a very strange sight

so as we ease up in restrictions we will see spots of infections cropping up. Silent shreaders, lack of safety measures...... but hopefully for the most part those will be not overwhelming. Yes more people will die and get infected. but people die all the time.
if we can keep from being overwhelmed then life can get back to a new normal

we always compare our selves to the USA. Is that our Canadian overconfidence or our inferiority. Not sure

compared to them we are doing well. Compared to the world , not so much. Our nursing home deaths is astonishing and terrible. We should not be cocky. The USA is an outlier and in a terrible state. Partly trump. Partly slow reactions. Partly the mentality of dont tell me what to do

i hope that we can get more or less back to the new normal. With precautions. I
know we are personally taking precautions. And yet life must also go on

Gatherings here are now up to 200 when outdoors. Dr. Hinshaw is explaining the reason for that - they reassess every 2 weeks is a big factor, along with ohters. This is the time it takes to see spread typically - why travellers quarantine for 14 days.

but hopefully for the most part those will be not overwhelming. Yes more people will die and get infected. but people die all the time.
y
The question then becomes, which family member of yours or anyone elses will be expendable for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our hospital is back to full service. Some other services in healthcare don’t seem to be quite that quick.
What strikes me was that once things got eased up a bit in NS and people felt safe to go to the ER, we seemed to have a surge of patients with strokes or stroke like symptoms ( though, there usually is a surge of strokes at some time in the summer, so it could be just that, but a bit early). The other larger group seemed to be confused relatives or heavy physical care whose caregivers can’t manage it anymore. Part of it is also that home care was cut back- maybe for lack of staff ( people staying home with the kids? People not wanting to take the risk?), so patients were doing more than they were able to, leading to falls, exhaustion, increase in chronic pain and so on. Also, some of the surgeries that were put off are done now and some patients are more deconditioned- longer wait time as well as people have not been leaving the house much, exercise programs were not available, so the recovery takes longer.
And NS only had a few cases of covid, I can’t imagine how other Provinces are doing where the system was more affected.

y
The question then becomes, which family member of yours or anyone elses will be expendable for you?

no one is expendable to me. But I am not naive enough to think that over the next months and years more people will notdie. They will. but if we sit still people will die of the shut down As well. Economic hardship will also create deaths

i want things to go slow. I want people to be responsible and careful. But that will not stop all deaths. Nothing really will

vacinnes? Maybe. If enough use them. If they work. Our flu vaccine has about a 20% effectiveness depending in the year. That isn’t bad. But people die even though we have it

no one is expendable to me. But I am not naive enough to think that over the next months and years more people will notdie. They will. but if we sit still people will die of the shut down As well. Economic hardship will also create deaths

i want things to go slow. I want people to be responsible and careful. But that will not stop all deaths. Nothing really will

vacinnes? Maybe. If enough use them. If they work. Our flu vaccine has about a 20% effectiveness depending in the year. That isn’t bad. But people die even though we have it
I suppose when we shut down again, we should be making more ways to ease the isolation.....churches are making inroads this way, but actually some sort of contact may be needed.
Here's an example of Brazil's "hug curtain" for the elderly, probably would work for anyone feeling suicidal or needing a good cry too.

Back