Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I don't think restricting travel will do much for overall numbers right now, but it can limit which variants we are dealing with.

Waterfall

I personally think it will help along with other measures. Anyone deboarding or crossing a border with Covid just adds to the caseload as the known ones are being dealt with.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
I'm glad BC has put the travel restrictions in place. They seem to be starting to make a difference. People from Quebec went to Whistler for March break. Whistler is now a hotspot. Of course there is a lot of congregate living and hospitality jobs which add to the risk. Having people visit from a province that has a lot of virus is a problem. There have been outbreaks and spread from people travelling between the Lower Mainland and the island and other parts of the province. This measure should help. Of course it's only one strategy.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
From a virus spread perspective, leaving daycares open is not useful. Little kids are not keeping masks on or distancing, and they are more likely to be asymptomatic.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
From a virus spread perspective, leaving daycares open is not useful. Little kids are not keeping masks on or distancing, and they are more likely to be asymptomatic.
From a spread perspective neither is keeping homeless shelters open, group homes, long term care, or in patient hospital wards. We can't just do everything to limit spread as the top priority.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
From a spread perspective neither is keeping homeless shelters open, group homes, long term care, or in patient hospital wards. We can't just do everything to limit spread as the top priority.
I don’t know about homeless shelters, but group homes in NS have staff that is vaccinated and have formed bubbles of staff and residents i.e. a friend of mine works at L’Arche. LTC here has reduced the numbers of residents and switched to single room occupancy, and hospitals have visitor restrictions and staff with PPE, as well as testing/ isolating of patients with certain symptoms.

Lastpointe

'It's disrespectful': No sick pay for Parliament's language interpreters during COVID

this is an odd little story. The people who do the interpreting for the government are not actually employees, entitled to benefits, but self employed contract workers. Not entitled to sick pay or benefits

what seems odd to me, is that I would have thought the act of interpreting in real time for parliament to move along was a pretty important role. Funny that it is a contract position

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Funny that it is a contract position

Not funny at all. It's the way of the world. I worked at a community college that offered a co-op Computer Programmer/Analyst program. We outsourced our IT help desk to India.

In my experience, an over-focus on the bottom line, disregarding other criteria for excellence, is responsible for most of the precariousness of the lives of the "middle class". I was talking to a laid-off PSW yesterday. Small privately run retirement home. Lost four clients to LTC. Who did they lay off? The oldest and most senior of workers. I told her to try and ensure that her next job was a unionized position.

JayneWonders

I am a consultant / contractor. Hourly charge. No sicktime or benefits. I am not by far a minimum wage contractor. I wouldn't want to say if i am important to it or not.

I share that as contract/consultant work with multiple customers, or short-term contracts with customers back to back is fairly common, and importance to the company is not part of the question.

Lastpointe

Yes and I know that often contractors can negotiate better fees. My brother left a pretty good job to work for himself. Doing the same sorts of things. It was far more lucrative for him for sure

i am just surprised that translators are part of that. Had never thought about it.

and Yes Bette. Outsourcing is a scourge of our times I think. Long gone are the days of loyalty. I am sorry for your friend. Hopefully she got severance or is suing for severance. There is a rule about how many weeks you get In Ontario
and oddly, does the home not expect to fill the beds?

Lastpointe

When I used part time nurses that were not part of hospital staff they were much more expensive. The agency charged more, they also got 14% more in benefits at the time. So I worked hard to use my own staff to stick with my budget

Lastpointe

Another “freedom “ protest in Barrie. Honestly people!

the local paper quotes one man as protesting because Covid 19 is a hoax!

makes me wonder what news is he reading.

i can understand people who say “ I run a shoe store. Why should I be closed while the grocery store and Walmart are open.....”. I can see the frustration and unfairness people feel. But a hoax?

JayneWonders

I was shocked that Alberta with the highest numbers in US or Canada had a rodeo go on with antimaskers.
Seriously, what is with folks?

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Another “freedom “ protest in Barrie. Honestly people!

the local paper quotes one man as protesting because Covid 19 is a hoax!

makes me wonder what news is he reading.

i can understand people who say “ I run a shoe store. Why should I be closed while the grocery store and Walmart are open.....”. I can see the frustration and unfairness people feel. But a hoax?

Your backyard isn't any cleaner. Considering the relative size of Collingwood and they had 75 people?

Police charge two protesters after Collingwood rally