Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Lastpointe

Oh I agree Bette. Hadn’t come across the Collingwood story yet. It’s in the local paper now, and the Simcoe Muskoka health unit has 281 new cases over the weekend. Likely most are in both Collingwood and Barrie, the two big towns in the county.
I get people being angry. I get businesses mad that who is open and who is closed feels fairly arbitrary

i don’t get believing it’s a hoax

Waterfall

And the one in Stratford, 600+ demonstrators mostly from out of town, invading a town of 38,000. The police knew they were all heading to Upper Queens Park ahead of time and large machinery was used to block the entrances of the road....so the demonstrators moved to a childrens skate park.....cidiots.

Listening to the police's answers on the radio, they're saying that the demonstrators are more outspoken, and confronting them would cause a higher escalation. They were saying they're trying to figure out a way to de escalate the the situations without causing more harm than good. Sounds like a valid concern, but at the same time, surely something can be done?

Today we watched 6 orange helicopters pass overhead, and yesterday we saw 4.....and those are the ones we saw. There could have been more throughout the day.
I've never seen so many before, wondering if they're transferring Covid patients.

Last edited:

Lastpointe

Yes they are moving Covid patients. Our hospital ICUs in Owen Sound and Collingwood are full of GTA patients. And they of course need to share the burden across the province

a little town outside of London, Aylmer , is another protest site. It’s frustrating for sure. And I get the police don’t want to escalate a peaceful , if idiotic , demonstration by arresting hundreds. And that exposes the police to great risk too

is it because people are tired? Or are they just pig headed and selfish

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Probably because they believe they're right just like we do.

Yes, agreed, and I know that pointing out facts doesn't change minds. Thing is, I largely trust doctors and science. This whole "show the other side" can lead to false equivalencies, i.e. that the "facts" believed by 2 scientists contradict the "facts" demonstrated by 200 scientists.

Popped by my daughter's yesterday to drop off a piece of mail, distanced, outside. She's clearly totally fed up. She's 31, recently and unhappily single, without most of her income (she's living on a part-time job and one-on-one yoga gigs with clients already in her large bubble). And I totally get it. But I'm old enough to think that we should put into perspective all of the awful sacrifices so many people have made already (the dead, the dying alone, the family without funerals, the unvisited, the lonely, the hugless, those who need 'elective' surgery) and just ride out the next 3-4 months until we've got a decent percentage of the population fully immunized. I would not like those sacrifices to have felt like they were in vain if we have to face 4th and 5th waves because of human stubbornness and ignorance.

Inukshuk

My guess is that a lot of these anti-maskers may also be climate change deniers. Personally I wish the media would not give them any coverage. The scientists warned us of coronavirus and climate disaster - so many have ignored the science. And solutions to both have been under resourced. I know I struggled to understand the coronavirus with its spikes and proteins... If we can't enforce mask by laws how on earth are climate change policies going to be enforced? More focus on Science in schools? And how do we teach empathy?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I'm really wondering what the new restrictions will be. End to outdoor gatherings again? Kto6 online at least until teachers are vaccinated? Kenney has been clear about not differentiating between essential and non essential. Possibility further capacity reductions.
Only thing I see making a difference in the numbers is schools because of the other factors that come with that.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I see Notley has some great suggestions posted to fb.
Things like increasing fines, streamlining that process, making it illegal to interfere with those enforcing orders.

The info that has been put out os most cases are due to those breaking the law plus household transmission. We're not getting all information, lots is being kept private but assuming that's correct sounds like good changes to me.

And if the focus goes elsewhere the WHY those changes are expected to help should be explained.

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
I'm really wondering what the new restrictions will be. End to outdoor gatherings again? Kto6 online at least until teachers are vaccinated? Kenney has been clear about not differentiating between essential and non essential. Possibility further capacity reductions.
Only thing I see making a difference in the numbers is schools because of the other factors that come with that.
Unless AB starts some intentional enforcement new restrictions will continue to have limited success. BEcause asking nicely for folk to follow the rules has not really worked thus far

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Unless AB starts some intentional enforcement new restrictions will continue to have limited success. BEcause asking nicely for folk to follow the rules has not really worked thus far

It is disingenuous of Kenney to put all the blame on people who aren't following guidelines since he has fed into the disbelief.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Restrictions won't be announced until 6, no questions answered at that time. Tomorrow Kenney Shandro, and Education and Justice ministers will answer questions .
So my guess is kto6 will go online, although maybe not province wide and some of the suggestions put forth on Notley's fb page are coming too. Rodeo not being prevented from occurring was too much for many.

GordW

Church-Geek-Oramus
Restrictions won't be announced until 6, no questions answered at that time. Tomorrow Kenney Shandro, and Education and Justice ministers will answer questions .
So my guess is kto6 will go online, although maybe not province wide and some of the suggestions put forth on Notley's fb page are coming too. Rodeo not being prevented from occurring was too much for many.
Maybe Madu being there hints at some enforcement provisions (not just increased fines but actual people getting fined for example). THe thing is, The political climate in Alberta these days is such that I can't see Kenney doing anything Notley suggests, just out of spite.

KayTheCurler

I find myself wondering if it would help to add some public shame to spreaders. Something like -
"A party on "this day" brought a fine of 'this much' in 'this' area of the city'. Followed a week or so later by -
'This many new cases resulted from the party held last week in 'this' area, that brought a significant fine to the host.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I find myself wondering if it would help to add some public shame to spreaders. Something like -
"A party on "this day" brought a fine of 'this much' in 'this' area of the city'. Followed a week or so later by -
'This many new cases resulted from the party held last week in 'this' area, that brought a significant fine to the host.
I don’t think public shaming is a solution. People have been nasty on social media to people who have done nothing wrong. A friend’s coworker’s husband caught Covid though somebody at work. He brought it home and the whole family including two elementary kids are very sick. Apparently, people have been very nasty to them on social media. Leave it to the officials to deal with rule breakers.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I don’t think public shaming is a solution. People have been nasty on social media to people who have done nothing wrong. A friend’s coworker’s husband caught Covid though somebody at work. He brought it home and the whole family including two elementary kids are very sick. Apparently, people have been very nasty to them on social media. Leave it to the officials to deal with rule breakers.
The problem is to date officials haven't dealt with them. Even when tickets are issued people go to court and get them thrown out.

KayTheCurler

Individuals shaming others when they don't have the facts, and officials sharing verified facts without names seem to be two entirely different things to me. .

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
The problem is to date officials haven't dealt with them. Even when tickets are issued people go to court and get them thrown out.
On any kind of grounds or just tossed on technicalities like the cop not showing up or the lawyers cutting a deal (as apparently often happens in traffic court)?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
On any kind of grounds or just tossed on technicalities like the cop not showing up or the lawyers cutting a deal (as apparently often happens in traffic court)?
My understanding is a bit of both, although details aren't given much. I think if people start making the argument it violates their rights it gets tossed instead of taking up time.