Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla

Waterfall

That been going around for a while. I shoot for as much distance as geography allows and mask if I know I won't be able to get more than 6'
It's been going around for awhile yes, but still the social distancing in enclosed spaces is still based on 2 metres. In other words it's not being updated publicly.

Waterfall

I've personally been worried about the education system. Are we looking at a generation that will be just pushed through their grades or actually losing a year?
The complaint seems to be how little social distancing can be achieved in the current classrooms thus increasing the chances of exposure.
Is it not possible to cut these classes in half by giving those who have newly graduated from teaching (or have been waiting a long time for a fulltime job) the other half of all classrooms? This would mean around 15 in each class that could sit in desks protected by plexiglass and masks.
We've set up vaccine centres, so why not set up less crowded classrooms in arenas, community centres, etc....and hire some of the teachers full time, that have been substitute teaching for years because there are no full time jobs available?

Or another alternative.....change the school year from January to June for half the students in every school and the other half go from July to December? Of course in this scenario students and parents might complain about who gets the summer off.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Or another alternative.....change the school year from January to June for half the students in every school and the other half go from July to December? Of course in this scenario students and parents might complain about who gets the summer off.

A high school in London underwent major renovations many years ago. They put two schools together in one. They did this by using the hours in the day. One school attended mostly in the morning and the other in the afternoon. From what I understand it worked reasonably well though I'm sure there must have been headaches involved. They could likely do something like that to increase spacing in schools for covid. Some schools are or could be using a combination of online and in person teaching/learning as well.

Waterfall

A high school in London underwent major renovations many years ago. They put two schools together in one. They did this by using the hours in the day. One school attended mostly in the morning and the other in the afternoon. From what I understand it worked reasonably well though I'm sure there must have been headaches involved. They could likely do something like that to increase spacing in schools for covid. Some schools are or could be using a combination of online and in person teaching/learning as well.
More good suggestions.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
When I was getting blood drawn yesterday we were talking about the pandemic. One of her coworkers is from India and knows several people who have died from covid. There is the belief that things are likely worse than what is being reported for a variety of reasons. This meme showed up on my FB feed this morning

FB_IMG_1619790516851.jpg

ChemGal

One with keen eye

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Geez - so Premier Ford is making a big issue today of closing international land borders to ON, requiring quarantine etc for those crossing by land. Insisting this is crucial to stop spread of variants. No stopping of internal non-essential travel, even much re travel from province to province - no strong stance there from the ON Conservative gov - half measures again. Ask Nova Scotia - I did hear that the thought is a big family gathering in NS, attended by lots of people from Ontario, was the source of current skyrocketing numbers in NS. OTOH, BC is putting limits on travel within their province - must stay within local health district & there will be RCMP road checks on the highways with drivers being ticketed and vehicles turned back.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Geez - so Premier Ford is making a big issue today of closing international land borders to ON, requiring quarantine etc for those crossing by land. Insisting this is crucial to stop spread of variants. No stopping of internal non-essential travel, even much re travel from province to province - no strong stance there from the ON Conservative gov - half measures again. Ask Nova Scotia - I did hear that the thought is a big family gathering in NS, attended by lots of people from Ontario, was the source of current skyrocketing numbers in NS. OTOH, BC is putting limits on travel within their province - must stay within local health district & there will be RCMP road checks on the highways with drivers being ticketed and vehicles turned back.
I doubt there is really much coming across borders now that we've stopped flights from India to block that variant. Most of it will be internal spread. The PCs are just deflecting as usual because this pandemic is now going badly for them. Ford's approval rating is down to 35% or something like that.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I did hear that the thought is a big family gathering in NS, attended by lots of people from Ontario, was the source of current skyrocketing numbers in NS
Yes, that was at least part of our super spreader. Before that, we just had low numbers, even with variants, from essential workers who did get sick while quarantining.
I am appreciative of our Provincial government working together and shutting down as quickly as they have, though I don’t think keeping daycares open is a logical move.
Listening to our nurse’s conversations, I am surprised how many actually have been restricting themselves for the whole time since last year- not eating out or shopping even when the numbers were low, keeping contacts minimal, just to not put anybody at risk.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I am wondering about the social and personal implications for people who are unintentionally infecting others if this has a catastrophic outcome. Relatives who die, get chronic diseases. On the one side the guilty feeling, even if one might have followed the rules, and on the other side the blame of the people around - I heard especially social media are bad for that.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
I don’t think keeping daycares open is a logical move.
If you close the daycares, what about frontline health workers and workers in essential businesses who rely on them? We've been having staffing issues just from the schools being closed and parents booking time off to stay with the kids. Daycare is going to be even worse. At least some school-aged kids (Grade 7 or so and up) can be left alone. Daycare-aged kids generally can't be.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
I would rather see daycares open than kids neglected. Ideally, those who can manage well without daycare will choose that.

Lastpointe

Lots of cases arrive in Ontario via the airport. Reportedly one per plane. So 50-60 a day. Likely a few crossing the land border too. I mean all these variants didn’t arrive in Canada through swimming here. They came on planes with international passengers. No other way

and all the flights between provinces assist with the spread. Sadly it’s too late to do much about it now

i think day cares are totally essential. Otherwise parents aren’t able to work. Those who use day cares anyway.

my sister in law lost her mom yesterday. Not via Covid. Just elderly and altzeimers. But it’s my first time of not being able to attend a funeral to support family.