Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
The Chinese community

This is the famous Chinese humanism in international action, which is the community with a shared future for mankind," said Szafarz, who is also an expert on international issues.

"Our deepest congratulations go to the front-line health workers in China and the population who worked together tirelessly to bring the disease to this very low level," said Dr. Michael Ryan, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Program, at a routine WHO press briefing in September.

Ryan attributed to China's success to a "huge partnership between communities, scientific institutions, public health institutions in the government" and "a lot of cooperation, very sustained commitment to getting the job done."

Sylwester Szafarz, former consul general of Poland in Shanghai, China, told Xinhua that the behavior and activities of the Chinese people are particularly remarkable and precious amid the pandemic.

"They are aiming at sharing valuable Chinese experience and expertise, modern equipment and highly qualified medical personnel with numerous other nations in need, thus reducing the danger and scope of the pandemic and its harmful global consequences.

China has announced that its COVID-19 vaccine, once developed and put into use, will be a global public good, and it will also promote the accessibility and affordability of vaccines in developing countries.

In April, the WHO, the European Commission and multiple other partners launched "The Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator" to catalyse the development and equitable distribution of vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics, according to Tedros.

Can countries come together in solidarity to share the fruits of research?

Or will misguided nationalism hobble our response?

Reaction score
I'm going to turn my front lights off and watch Netflix in the livingroom on the couch. I thought of doing something but I don't feel inspired. My carved pumpkin rotted. My Halloween is over.

My neighbour across the street took her dog out to do his thing this morning - she was wearing a sparkly Wonder Woman suit, cape and wig. They're party people. It was probably what she was wearing last night and was still wearing it. ...re: covid I don't know if they follow the new "safe 6" guidelines or not. They often have friends over on the weekends, a couple of people who don't live there, out for a smoke outside - I notice the same cars coming and going. They don't have big parties. They do have small ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I noticed Alberta's numbers really shot up. BC's not doing too perfectly but we have about half the active cases that Alberta has, and a larger population. Vancouver Island still has very few active cases. It just decreased to 8 active cases with no new cases. I don't know if it's because we're generally really vigilant about it without being told - or because, maybe (have heard anecedotes), we had a wave last Dec/ Jan but didn't know it at the time. It surprises me, but I don't want to take it for granted because it could get worse anytime, due to just a few careless people.

Reaction score
I’m going to a get together. After getting rid of chocolate.

it was a good year to buy Halloween costumes on Kijiji.

I got about a 7.5’ tall dinosaur costume really cheap. Hope the dog doesn’t try to kill me.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
We're joining friends for a campfire. Small group, our safe six.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
I was party to a live stream funeral service today ... Garry's cousin. I counted more than 20 people in 'physical' attendance (Brandon MB) and I would imagine a sizeable host of virtual congregants. We 'attended', Garry and myself, unmasked within the quarantine of our 'home office'. Garry in his 3 piece suit and I in my sweats. It was a wonderful service and with much testimony to a character that verily spoke to each of our own mother's who had passed away respectively within the last 2 years. We both shed a tear or two in remembrance of the gifts that those good people leave in their 'wake'. The occasion for much laughter also presented itself when I remarked that I was feeling dizzy with hunger and Garry rushed out of the office to retrieve for me a 'plate' of pinwheel sandwiches (creamed cheese and pommegranate seeds because we had no cherries which his mother would have preferred). You had to be there I suppose ... he had prepared these without my knowledge ... based on the premise that a funeral without pinwheel sandwiches is virtually or otherwise ... just not right!

Waterfall

Reaction score
I was party to a live stream funeral service today ... Garry's cousin. I counted more than 20 people in 'physical' attendance (Brandon MB) and I would imagine a sizeable host of virtual congregants. We 'attended', Garry and myself, unmasked within the quarantine of our 'home office'. Garry in his 3 piece suit and I in my sweats. It was a wonderful service and with much testimony to a character that verily spoke to each of our own mother's who had passed away respectively within the last 2 years. We both shed a tear or two in remembrance of the gifts that those good people leave in their 'wake'. The occasion for much laughter also presented itself when I remarked that I was feeling dizzy with hunger and Garry rushed out of the office to retrieve for me a 'plate' of pinwheel sandwiches (creamed cheese and pommegranate seeds because we had no cherries which his mother would have preferred). You had to be there I suppose ... he had prepared these without my knowledge ... based on the premise that a funeral without pinwheel sandwiches is virtually or otherwise ... just not right!
Quite the guy you got there....lucky you!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Buried my mother's sister in a continent of 4 ... given the time, etc.

It was cold and windy so we didn't linger in the cemetery long ... so was a lady with funny nature and could make you laugh at just about anything subtle! Real kohl ...

Did I say they shipped her ashes here from Surry ... no fringes!

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
COVID is steadily infecting more people in my home area. Not huge numbers but per capita it isn't good. One of my kids texted today to say she and her family had all just been exposed to a positive case. The guy was visiting them when he got the news. I think his test was a 'routine ' one connected with his place of employment - or maybe his coaching activities. Another of my kids is still in quarantine in Miami waiting to get on the cruise ship she is supposed to work on. Another works in a place that has had several cases - the experts haven't yet decided to close the place down for a while. The fourth kid basically stays home. Pops into the grocery store as needed, and comes to visit with us most days.

I rather wish Trump had been correct with his words that it was just going to disappear!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Slovakia, a country with 5.4 million people, is testing its whole population. They already tested 2.5 mio and found 1% positiv cases. They are using quick tests, which are not as reliable. In certain hotspots, they are planning to test again after one week. Does that make sense?

Waterfall

Reaction score
Slovakia, a country with 5.4 million people, is testing its whole population. They already tested 2.5 mio and found 1% positiv cases. They are using quick tests, which are not as reliable. In certain hotspots, they are planning to test again after one week. Does that make sense?
I think the most successful countries with keeping their Covid numbers down are pro active early, so it's probably a good thing IMO.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Germany has the second lockdown as of today. Bars and restaurants closed, all tourists ( Germans in other areas than their homes) are sent home, people should only bubble with one other family ( exceptions for family members helping elderly parents or other dependants). 16000 new infections a day. Schools are still open and will be the last thing to close. Churches are still open, but people appealing at them to do their part and volunteerly close.

Seeler

Reaction score
COVID is steadily infecting more people in my home area. Not huge numbers but per capita it isn't good. One of my kids texted today to say she and her family had all just been exposed to a positive case. The guy was visiting them when he got the news. I think his test was a 'routine ' one connected with his place of employment - or maybe his coaching activities. Another of my kids is still in quarantine in Miami waiting to get on the cruise ship she is supposed to work on. Another works in a place that has had several cases - the experts haven't yet decided to close the place down for a while. The fourth kid basically stays home. Pops into the grocery store as needed, and comes to visit with us most days.

I rather wish Trump had been correct with his words that it was just going to disappear!
We need an emote that would say amused by your post, but acknowledging the underlying concern – the worry you must have for your children. My son lives in Korea and is hoping to get home for a visit sometime in the new year. He realizes that half of his visit will be spent in isolation in his sister's finished basement, but it's been 2 1/2 years – too long for all of us.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Depends on the plan. I wish we would be told the false negative and false positive rate of tests in general in a way where it's easy to find the information, and I don't mean just for SARS-CoV2.
I could see where mass testing for almost everyone in a short time frame could be beneficial. More needs to be done than just isolating those who test positive though, especially when the rate of false negatives isn't incredibly small. Things like tracing to discover others who were exposed could help to counteract the issues with false positives. It's a pretty big cost to do mass testing all at once, doing so without utilizing other methods to reduce spread isn't flattening the curve, it's just delaying it unless it's done repeatedly.