Novel Coronavirus

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
But if someone with Covid coughs on you, a mask would help protect you from their germs!
Not really, because your eyes are wide open to let them in. And the non medical masks are still like large open nets to let droplets through. They are really mostly to reduce the amount of the droplets going out.

Waterfall

Reaction score
But if someone with Covid coughs on you, a mask would help protect you from their germs!
It's the social distancing that protects YOU not the mask but you should wear a mask not to spread Covid in case you have it, as should others, to protect you.

So masks are to be used ALONG with social distancing.

Waterfall

Reaction score
I wish all stores would make sure they put garbage cans outside to dispose of the masks.....keep seeing the odd dirty ones in some parking lots where people just toss them.

Reaction score
As some of the virus particles get stuck in the layers and weave of the fabric - I would think it would slow/ filter the amount that could make it into your mouth and nose. (If someone sneezed into the air it would be atomized and spread out before it would hit the outside of a mask. So, fewer virus particles by the time it floats through the air and lands on a mask vs someone sneezing right in your face from a couple of feet away? Less concentrated amounts of virus landing directly in your face?) Not too different from how it filters what leaves your mouth and nose. At least somewhat. No? Is that totally wrong? And what if you wear glasses or sunglasses? I realize distancing is the best way but I would think the masks are at least some help in both directions - even though more effective at keeping germs in.

Common sense tells me...If you spray an aerosol spray into the air - the particles are spread out more the further you are away from where you're spraying it, as the air between you and where it lands dilutes it...if you spray it close up, more hits the surface - like a mask - its moving towards. The surface/ mask will be more wet the closer it is.

Last edited:

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I've seen information that's saying that now too. It does make sense.

Good to see you pommum.

pommum

Reaction score
As some of the virus particles get stuck in the layers and weave of the fabric - I would think it would slow/ filter the amount that could make it into your mouth and nose. (If someone sneezed into the air it would be atomized and spread out before it would hit the outside of a mask. So, fewer virus particles by the time it floats through the air and lands on a mask vs someone sneezing right in your face from a couple of feet away? Less concentrated amounts of virus landing directly in your face?) Not too different from how it filters what leaves your mouth and nose. At least somewhat. No? Is that totally wrong? And what if you wear glasses or sunglasses? I realize distancing is the best way but I would think the masks are at least some help in both directions - even though more effective at keeping germs in.

Common sense tells me...If you spray an aerosol spray into the air - the particles are spread out more the further you are away from where you're spraying it, as the air between you and where it lands dilutes it...if you spray it close up, more hits the surface - like a mask - its moving towards. The surface/ mask will be more wet the closer it is.
I've seen information that's saying that now too. It does make sense.

Good to see you pommum.
At first, the frontline medical people needed all the medical masks available, so masks were not encouraged for the general .public. The degree of protection from Covid depends on the mask you are wearing. Many cloth masks now have pockets for a filter, such as a coffee filter, that would help filter out the virus and act as a barrier, hopefully, preventing it from getting through to your mouth and nose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waterfall

Reaction score
The frontline workers need N95s and even those masks are only 95% effective....the way I see it medical masks are single use and are not effective to prevent the Covid virus from entering our bodies...the material is not made for something that small weve been told. Would you sit beside someone with Covid on purpose with just a medical mask on?

Lastpointe

Reaction score
No I would not

as to the disposable nature of masks

cloth ones are recommended to be washed in washer after use. Though like all clothing the more you wash things the more they wear out

surgical face masks seem to now be pretty available. Seen boxes of 50 in Home Depot. Not tons of protection but better than cloth. I don’t discard after one use. This virus dies in sunlight fairly quickly. A quick wear and removal and allow it to dry I think is safe and extends the use. I keep one unused in purse and one unused in car in case I forget to grab one

I see Banff has gone to mandatory mask use on its main tourism street. When I have visited Banff in both winter and summer that tourism stretch is generally jammed so seems like a good idea. So far I have only worn a mask indoors, though this week I went to Toronto to pack our sold house and carried a mask walking the dog in the park, in case it was too crowded

i turn away when a bike passes me. I move aside when pedestrians pass me

it feels like this is the new normal for a long time. Cases are down but we are warned about spikes. So there is no impression that governments are relaxing

it will be interesting to see what happens with school. Two friends have university first year students. So far residences are open but only one per room. Good article this week in Globe looking at what other countries have done about school. I feel like big common areas such as gymnasiums could be utilized as class space. Seeing as there is no way kids will be running and panting and sweating inside in the near future

our area is struggling with day care. My great niece needs to be in day care as her parents are both front line workers but so far no luck. And they feel nervous about the idea. So it’s grandparents to the rescue for now

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
No I would not

as to the disposable nature of masks

cloth ones are recommended to be washed in washer after use. Though like all clothing the more you wash things the more they wear out

surgical face masks seem to now be pretty available. Seen boxes of 50 in Home Depot. Not tons of protection but better than cloth. I don’t discard after one use. This virus dies in sunlight fairly quickly. A quick wear and removal and allow it to dry I think is safe and extends the use. I keep one unused in purse and one unused in car in case I forget to grab one

I see Banff has gone to mandatory mask use on its main tourism street. When I have visited Banff in both winter and summer that tourism stretch is generally jammed so seems like a good idea. So far I have only worn a mask indoors, though this week I went to Toronto to pack our sold house and carried a mask walking the dog in the park, in case it was too crowded

i turn away when a bike passes me. I move aside when pedestrians pass me

it feels like this is the new normal for a long time. Cases are down but we are warned about spikes. So there is no impression that governments are relaxing

it will be interesting to see what happens with school. Two friends have university first year students. So far residences are open but only one per room. Good article this week in Globe looking at what other countries have done about school. I feel like big common areas such as gymnasiums could be utilized as class space. Seeing as there is no way kids will be running and panting and sweating inside in the near future

our area is struggling with day care. My great niece needs to be in day care as her parents are both front line workers but so far no luck. And they feel nervous about the idea. So it’s grandparents to the rescue for now
I feel like governments have relaxed a fair bit. Numbers are going up, yet restrictions keep being loosened. The nearby lake just started allowing for guests and the rental of paddleboards, that was with guidance from AHS.
I don't really trust schools to be able to prevent children from running inside.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Schools will the next big issue for sure. Minimal risk to healthy children perhaps. It the risk to grandparents doing after school care and the average age of teachers makes them at risk too

wonder if some close to retirement teachers will retire

in. Ontario retired teachers are allowed to work , I think , up to three days a week as substitutes. That keeps the young teachers from getting jobs and the average age high. That is a big bun fight with unions. parents want young, up to date, enthusiastic teachers.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
There's a lot of teachers in the U.S. just quitting. It's an even less lucrative profession (and less attractive due to obsessive testing), often un-unionized.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
In my florida hairdresser there is a young woman who washes hair, helps out...... she is a teacher. Quit teaching because she makes more money as a hairdresser assistant. That is very sad

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I have a teacher friend in the States, so I follow her FB feed. I read how unpopular is the teacher who posted Pinterest instructions on "how to construct barriers between all of the desks in your classroom using $ store shower curtain liners and PVC pipe for about $100". It'll be their $100, (and their labour) as well as all the materials needed for extra sanitizing of the room. The school might provide one gallon jug of no name bleach for the whole school year as their sanitation supplies. If they're lucky. And someone remembered to requisition it in April 2020 to ensure timely delivery in September. Oops!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Apparently (and I don't have the link to the story handy) well-off parent in some parts of the US are basically starting private schools; hiring teachers for good money (with a stipend for health insurance, too) to teach their kids and their friends' kids in rooms in their homes. The concern, of course, is that if this becomes ongoing, good teachers will be leaving the system to become private tutors and, once again, education becomes the province of the wealthy. How you stop it, I'm not sure. Most jurisdictions in North America allow home schooling so you can't exactly force them to put the kids back in school.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Listen and I shall knock ... because reality needs a knock.

Few look at manna of thought the other way!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I think quite a few kids here will be at home for school. Haven't heard of new private schools locally, but increases of home schooling as well as utilizing the online options within their current school boards. I suspect there will be higher demand for tutors with utilizing those options too. It's something I may consider, I would probably be stepping in right now if I felt in-person was safe. I don't know how great I would be with online instruction, especially considering I would already be rusty as it is.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
On Ontario, we still have not heard a final plan for this Fall. Our education minister is going to make an announcement tomorrow is the word. I am worried he will just put out a pot of money and kick it to the boards to come up with details.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Positive sides of Covid: On the radio today: A boat had come to a small harbour outside of Halifax yesterday. When the local harbour authority asked the couple where they came from and where they were going to, they provided some info and contradicted themselves and also eventually they reported they had gone on land in the US recently, but not quarantined and had gone to a local store here. Close- knit communities here reported to the authorities. By then, they had left the harbour, but were found in a harbour in Halifax next, and when police saw them there about breaking covid restrictions, they found this:
My hunch- this would have gone undetected if it wasn’t for covid....