How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

We have to figure out what to do about youth ministry, and that just didn't come up. I'm team leader of FFCE, our youth minister's contract expires in August, our youth are both few and fragile, although our congregational numbers are not bad. Our demographic is strongly "ancient", although we have a huge Outreach presence in our community, serving 30+ user groups, most of them not-for-profits, like the anons, scouting movement, etc.

What generates interest is often the budget, but since this year, our plans EXACTLY coincided with EXACTLY what happened last year, there wasn't much to argue about, even from the chronic argue-er in the congregation.

In our Annual Meeting (yesterday) the minister present said that insanity is defined in one dimension as the insanity of doing exactly the same thing and expecting different outcomes ... then we discover quantum effects!

Does allow a cracking of whoever is Jaerd ... the essence goes on ...

BettetheRed...I like your term "strongly ancient"...I think that applies to many of our churches, and we are starting to get into serious worry mode. I missed our annual meeting although it went its usual very quick pace. It's something that our Board takes pride in. However, there are items that could be addressed and probably will be when we get a new minister someday. It was a very poor turnout for the congregation...not many people are interested in the business of the church. I led worship at a two-point charge where I really enjoyed the feedback and the after church discussions. I am so lucky that I get out and about and meet so many wonderfully caring people.

Church is vastly a social event for song and dance to disperse the cares and worries (ANIS) of the week ... however there are individuals of wonderment that would like to understand the source of our greatest concerns ... it is nonetheless contained within us as an unknown ... as it is contrary to learning and knowledge ... to gather is such a funny manner. Thus gathered thoughts are considered worth laughing at especially if you are a higher up ... and suffer insecurities about that unknown dark spot that you know is condensed somewhere ... alien spots? That folk is us!

In stress we are folked on for continuum of wat we rather not be cognizant of ... isolated cults and sex? No relating allowed ... as from the high points it is best to suffer naivete ... thus the OK of KO .. and sense is knocked out by passionate invasions ... IMP Acts!

Sparks smolder in the foggy and clouded zones as signs ... God said there would be one ... an aleph in Arabic dark humus ... may appear as آ or as an I in English or exclamatory icon in Spain! Ayres may continue ... while some may give up the ghost and become subtle ... delight buried in a myth?

When discovered some will exclaim OCHman, others Cajones, and still alternately remains Hallelujah as a sacred chord of connection to the general unknown ... everything! For all we know that's approximate ... Cloes as it blossoms!

Last edited:
I went to worship yesterday at a UC church not too distant where I do like the minister & the way she crafts a service - I was again rewarded with a meaningful experience. I think this may be where I land - time will tell. People there are 'remarkably' friendly - I had several conversations with people who approached me - not just a nod & hello.

Then later I joined worship via FB Live at Hillhurst UC in Calgary - I do really enjoy what happens there - it is refreshing & I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear diverse voices and stories. I just regret not being able to experience the delicious aroma of those cinnamon buns baking in the adjacent church kitchen! Amazing personal story was told by a woman from Africa - a health professional who was beaten & tortured in her homeland due to her willingness to provide medical care to those who identified as LGBTQ. And later a personal story from a yoga teacher, who has also been living with cancer for many years. A theme of opening one's heart.

Last edited:
I went to worship yesterday at a UC church not too distant where I do like the minister & the way she crafts a service - I was again rewarded with a meaningful experience. I think this may be where I land - time will tell. People there are 'remarkably' friendly - I had several conversations with people who approached me - not just a nod & hello.

Then later I joined worship via FB Live at Hillhurst UC in Calgary - I do really enjoy what happens there - it is refreshing & I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear diverse voices and stories. I just regret not being able to experience the delicious aroma of those cinnamon buns baking in the adjacent church kitchen! Amazing personal story was told by a woman from Africa - a health professional who was beaten & tortured in her homeland due to her willingness to provide medical care to those who identified as LGBTQ. And later a person story from a yoga teacher, who has also been living with cancer for many years. A theme of opening one's heart.

There are aspects of not very all encompassing in this string of yours! It does connect to the arachnoid structures in my brain ... right next to the dural thingy ... ventricles? Consider it mental leaking ... I remain Pi-ed!

I think I will try the Hillhurst experience, Carolla. It sounds like what my brain, heart, spirit need right now! So...you just go to Facebook at a certain time? I'll do some looking to see if I can figure it out.

Yes - they stream it on FB live - remember there may be time zone difference from where you live to where Hillhurst is located. It's pretty simple Nancy & I think you would like it :) Refreshing the spirit.

I think I attend a good-feeling church as well...lots of good people who care about one another. The only thing I don't get at my church, often, is a good inspiring sermon. I also like Bible-based sermons, that help bring the Bible words and intentions into modern life. But most people in our congregation are okay with light-weight sermons. So, I find other ways to feed that part of me. I will be taking the Lenten study "Faithfully Yours" on line (united-in-learning) beginning March 2. I've also taken Bible studies, and I read religious blogs and on-line sermons. And I read books...currently reading an anthology called "Son of Man".

Are there hard states hidden in the bright brevity? Life is like that ... with lumps and bumps in the night ... dreams you don;t see coming?

Church for me on Sunday was something astoundingly unusual. We had a restaurant brunch. All four of our kids, the three partners and the youngest grand (we have seven). I tried not to dwell on the fact that hubby and I couldn't remember the last time our family sat around a table at the same time. Also tried not to dwell on the missing grands.

After a suggestion that having a new thread for each Sunday would be better than a monolithic thread like this, I am giving that a try. So this thread will be locked temporarily. If you don't see a thread for the Sunday you want to write about, just start it yourself. Here is a link to the first one, for February 23, 2020.

We'll see how it goes. If you're interested, the lectionary passages were: Exodus 20: 1-17 and John 2: 13. We talked about the John passage, to our usual non-definitive conclusion, although there was a lot of convo about what "non-violent resistance looks like" and the "inherent anti-Semitism of John" (that would be me.)

So, the Rev talked about the "faces of Godde" that we're not as comfortable with. A commanding god, an angry god.

Music was nice, as always. Couple of duets, the guitar is working well. Communion Sunday, as well, so bread and a sip of wine for breakfast.

I joined my Grande Prairie congregation. It's nice to see friends. It was weird to see myself up there in full colour. :)

Back