History of the colloquial use of "jackboot"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

In my opinion he hasn't done excellent modding. He abused his power with a "private" conversation regarding a mod issue - took me into a virtual corner and said I called him the worst thing possible and was weaselling. He closed that conversation to only me and him so it couldn't be forwarded and the gymnastics I had to do to draw attention to it - so I sent my copy to the admin account - instead of getting advocacy, got me in more trouble. Then after sending to Mendalla instead - he also played the heavy and claimed that I don't know what authoritarian is, using his wife as an example - and then told me he was done and if I continue to disobey him I will be ignored or reported - prime example of authoritarian.
Revsdd is a bully. Just because he can crack jokes in public doesn't mean he didn't bully me yesterday. And a hypocrite as per his opinion of urban dictionary. Anyone can post their own profane definitions of whatever they want on urban dictionary - it is not a credible source. As for me being to sensitive about sexism and ableism and racism - he's a hypocrite.

C
L
Feeling uncomfortable with the content of private conversations being summarized on a public thread. There simply is no way to respond to this.
when you feel it's a bullying or an abuse of power issue - what else can one do? It's not like he just dropped me a line to tell me something personal and I blabbed it. That's different.

In my opinion he hasn't done excellent modding. He abused his power with a "private" conversation regarding a mod issue - took me into a virtual corner and said I called him the worst thing possible and was weaselling. He closed that conversation to only me and him so it couldn't be forwarded and the gymnastics I had to do to draw attention to it - so I sent my copy to the admin account - instead of getting advocacy, got me in more trouble. Then after sending to Mendalla instead - he also played the heavy and claimed that I don't know what authoritarian is, using his wife as an example - and then told me he was done and if I continue to disobey him I will be ignored or reported - prime example of authoritarian.
Revsdd is a bully. Just because he can crack jokes in public doesn't mean he didn't bully me yesterday. And a hypocrite as per his opinion of urban dictionary. Anyone can post their own profane definitions of whatever they want on urban dictionary - it is not a credible source. As for me being to sensitive about sexism and ableism and racism - he's a hypocrite.
For God's sake, Kimmio. I was not trying to bully you. If you interpreted it that way, then I apologize for that and I regret that you interpreted it that way. I sent you a private and personal message to let you know how I had interpreted your words. I was trying to avoid having yet another thread dissolve into just a back and forth of insults.

As for the Urban Dictionary - again, for God's sake. It's not just my opinion. Its definitions have been cited by courts and government agencies in discerning the meaning behind relevant words and phrases.

@revjohn I continued to use 'it' because I am defending why I used 'it' in the first place - and pointing out that 'it' is not a word I would've thought of if someone hadn't equated 'it' with power games in the first place. I don't think I've ever used 'it' before.

I know you think I'm a bully, too, so I have no idea why I am responding. If you think Revsdd is a bully, then you have no f***ing idea what a bully is. I was bullied pretty much continuously from kindergarten until grade 13. I know bullying when I see it. Unless there was more in the conversation than you have revealed, it was not bullying. You, on the other hand, come dangerously close at times with your attempts to beat this board into accepting your views with accusations of sexism, bullying, and what not. We do not have to agree with you, to accept your ideas and concerns, to be good people and you seem to have a hard time grasping that. Anyone who opposes you, who expresses an idea that runs against yours or argues against your ideas gets accused of bullying or sexism or able-ism or whatever. That's not how it works here or in the broader world.

I know you think I'm a bully, too, so I have no idea why I am responding. If you think Revsdd is a bully, then you have no f***'ing idea what a bully is. I was bullied pretty much continuously from kindergarten until grade 13. I know bullying when I see it. Unless there was more in the conversation than you have revealed, it was not bullying. You, on the other hand, come dangerously close at times with your attempts to beat this board into accepting your views with accusations of sexism, bullying, and what not. We do not have to agree with you, to accept your ideas and concerns, to be good people and you seem to have a hard time grasping that. Anyone who opposes you, who expresses an idea that runs against yours or argues against your ideas gets accused of bullying or sexism or able-ism or whatever. That's not how it works here or in the broader world.
I have had spastic dyplegic cerebral palsy since birth. I've had my fair share of bullying.

This post of yours is bullying. It's also gas lighting.

Last edited:
For God's sake, Kimmio. I was not trying to bully you. If you interpreted it that way, then I apologize for that and I regret that you interpreted it that way. I sent you a private and personal message to let you know how I had interpreted your words. I was trying to avoid having yet another thread dissolve into just a back and forth of insults.

As for the Urban Dictionary - again, for God's sake. It's not just my opinion. Its definitions have been cited by courts and government agencies in discerning the meaning behind relevant words and phrases.
I just looked up the urban dictionary definition of "validity". I hereby reject, once again, your defense of urban dictionary as a credible source:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=validity

I am, northwind. These things need to be said. What would you do if you were taken into into a corner by a "mod not being a mod"- and told you called him one of the lowest names possible, related to nazis (when I was simply saying that I disagreed with Mendalla about power games being played here) that you were weaselling out of owning it...and "Have a nice day"?! I responded. Damn right I did. But I got no advocacy. First I got nitpicking about emailing to the wrong, highly important admin email account - then after being asked to use his personal account I got shut down there - I don't know if the conversation actually got to the whole council like I asked - I wanted a copy of my interaction with revsdd sent to them all, for the record. Anyway...it's been a crappy week around here. There is no real recourse if you take issue with a mod or council decision or behaviour. They're all for one, one for all - and complaints are annoyances.

I noticed that you edited this after I read it. If I was called on my behaviour, I'd like to think I'd own what I had done without blaming. I would trust that the other person/people involved were also being addressed. I know that I do not need to know how others are being addressed. I recently used a word that not only is outdated, is considered racist. (this was in real life). I wasn't even thinking when I used it. I apologized and will not be using that word again. There is no reason to use words that have such negative connotations.

I noticed that you edited this after I read it. If I was called on my behaviour, I'd like to think I'd own what I had done without blaming. I would trust that the other person/people involved were also being addressed. I know that I do not need to know how others are being addressed. I recently used a word that not only is outdated, is considered racist. (this was in real life). I wasn't even thinking when I used it. I apologized and will not be using that word again. There is no reason to use words that have such negative connotations.
Northwind...please go back to post #140 in the thread "why you should attend church" and follow the use of "that" word from there. You will see how I used it in response to Mendalla first using it. And you will also see that I was trying to point out authoritarian behaviour without naming names - however, situations make it obvious. I was pressed to be specific - by yourself too, I think. I see it all the time here "certain posters" referred to as certain posters, when it becomes obvious who said posters are. Revsdd got upset that he was alluded to without being named but it happens all the time. People want to say their piece without actually finger pointing - but we are anyway. If I had said revsdd did this or that I don't see any difference in how I would've been responded to. I've owned everything I said and did. Others have not. And the urban dictionary thing is just another hypocritical cop-out. Revsdd was offended by a word Luce used and now this word I am being blamed for which didn't originate with me and that he took out of context - then tells me I am to sensitive to sexism and racism, and ableism.

You need a lawyer if you want to argue your way out the steel plated paper bags in this place.

devolving into 'right fighting' - no winners,and no exit strategy. I agree with GeoFee's suggestion above to step away.

comic-book-fight-cloud-vector-id520126304

I decided to follow your suggestion @Kimmio I copied and pasted the two references to the word that I can see. From what I can see, the term is being used in two different ways. I'm willing to be wrong. I stand by my earlier comment. I think you were unwise to have used that word. You are trying to make a point and share a concern. Using that term to describe your concern did not serve you well. I'm also seeing where you are accusing people of being bullies. I don't see it. Most notably, @Mendalla called you out on your behaviour and was somewhat frustrated. That's not bullying. I am quite confident you know what bullying is, given your background.

Mendalla said:
That said, no one is stomping around in jackboots playing power games that I have seen. What we are aiming for is to keep things civil and welcoming on here. No more. We are, and I've said this before and I will say it again, the most lightly modded board that I am on. There are any number of occasions where I have seen posts here that would have earned sanctions on other boards be dealt with lightly, if at all.

Kimmio said:
I don't think my perspective is all that skewed (re: jackbootish tones used) but I'd prefer not to rehash or highlight examples.

Coming in here as a mod along with personal thoughts.

There's more than one issue coming up.

Jackboot - I think the origin has been made clear. I was unfamiliar with the term until it was brought up. When Mendalla use the term, he wasn't using it to describe anyone's actions, directly or indirectly, he was saying the opposite.
Mendalla said:
That said, no one is stomping around in jackboots playing power games that I have seen.
I can understand taking that term and using it to mean authoritative in a much less sense than acting like a Nazi. It was still being used as a criticism, and I can understand why revsdd was offended by it. People have had the chance to explain their intentions and their feelings behind it. Continuing to go over the meaning, arguing over the different source for defining it is just going in circles. It's time to drop it.

Bringing up private conversations publicly - This is covered in the Terms of Conduct:
Courtesy & Respect: Community members will show respect for others - treating other members as you would want to be treated. Express your opinions about another person’s ideas, not about them personally. Keep threads started by others on topic if requested to do so. Respect the privacy of others by not posting personal information or images of another person that are outside the public domain without their consent.
In this instance, enforcing this rule at this point isn't going to accomplish anything positive.

Whether a private conversation from a mod is personal or not - In the future the mod font should help with this.

Criticisms of a person - Things have gone beyond just criticizing someone's behaviour. Calling someone power-hungry, power-tripping and a hypocrite is not respectful. As mods I think it's fair to say none of us are fighting over power, scrambling to be the first to warn someone or delete a comment. With the comments being brought up, I feel as though moderating any of these personal attacks is just going to snowball what has already occurred. Further personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Being able to communicate with all of council in an non-public setting - Sending a message to someone on council with a request to post it in an area where council can see it is one way of accomplishing this. All of us can also be included in a conversation. A report can also be made Sending one or two messages makes for simpler communication over many messages.

Discussing moderation - There is nothing wrong with discussing rules and policies. The terms of conduct began with members voting on them. Going around and round in circles is not productive though. To discuss policies, do so in a respectful manner. Chances are there will be some points that not everyone is going to agree, this is part of the purpose of having council. We do take feedback into consideration but it's not always possible to make everyone happy.

Back