Grocery shopping

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

It’s at the farm.
However, my friend, who lives at the main road backing apple orchards, told me that she was walking the or
chards behind her house last week and found fur and a bone from what looked like a bear, and she suspected the coyotes got a young one. She also noticed something close to her house and now is worried about them coming too close. Supposedly, her neighbour puts food leftover out in the backyard….

My music director Ted and his wife adopted 6 Chinese children from a Communist Chinese orphanage. They took their children huckleberry-picking by a dirt road in the woods just north of here. Ted was picking by himself, while the other 7 were picking several yards away. Suddenly Ted's heart stopped as he saw a large black bear racing at full speed towards him. Was this the end? What about the kids? Well, the bear came a few yards from Ted and then suddenly veered off to its left and cleared the dirt road in one bound, racing up the hill on the other side. The bear was apparently startled by Ted's wife and 6 kids and just wanted to get away and saw Ted at the last moment before veering off up the hill. What a terrifying event! I guess it's important to remember that bears like huckleberries too!

Bear knowledge, rye intelligence; is valuable ... but alas so many dislike it as it interferes with their wisp desires!

So un ad dressed ... more debarks ...

Plenty of frozen raspberries, here, although the bag's gotten smaller and they're more expensive, like everything. Except for a couple of wyrd things over Christmas, and the occasional appearance of 'odd' brands, the grocery chains seem to have largely overcome their supply chain issues.

I use frozen raspberries to make my famous (if I do say so myself) raspberry trifle. It has graced many a dinner table, particularly at Christmas (as a 'lighter' alternative to pudding, lol), and has made a LOT of money at dessert auctions at the church. People will pay far too much money for a relatively simple product, albeit one necessitating high quality ingredients.

It’s at the farm.
However, my friend, who lives at the main road backing apple orchards, told me that she was walking the or
chards behind her house last week and found fur and a bone from what looked like a bear, and she suspected the coyotes got a young one. She also noticed something close to her house and now is worried about them coming too close. Supposedly, her neighbour puts food leftover out in the backyard….
OH boy - your neighbour should NEVER leave bear attractants out. If that behaviour doesn't stop maybe the Wildlife people could be involved.

Bird feeders are the very worst thing for attracting bears. Bird seed has highly concentrated calories which is exactly what bears are seeking.

I believe we should all lose the bird feeders!

If they bring you great pleasure wait until the bears are hibernating.

Bird feeders are the very worst thing for attracting bears. Bird seed has highly concentrated calories which is exactly what bears are seeking.

I believe we should all lose the bird feeders!

If they bring you great pleasure wait until the bears are hibernating.
I think saying all is a bit excessive, depends on the area. They are rules here about feeding wildlife, birdfeeders are still allowed. If I lived in K-country, then yes, most styles of bird feeders aren't a good idea there. Even there, something like a hummingbird feeder might get a pass.

Here in Toronto we don't have to worry a lot about bears but one did show up at McCowan and Finch a few years ago.

Bird feeders also attract coyotes and raccoons. Do you really want to be welcoming either of them? Coyotes are a menace to small pets. Raccoons will tear the shingles off your roof.

The other thing about bird feeders is they can create a rat problem. Birds spill a lot of seed on the ground. Mice, rats and squirrels will move right in to feast on it.

Chipmunks too in some areas. Cute little critters but they won't hesitate to come inside to look for the peanuts, etc.

Not a fan of bird feeders! It's too bad because so many of our birds are lovely.

Here in Toronto we don't have to worry a lot about bears but one did show up at McCowan and Finch a few years ago.

Bird feeders also attract coyotes and raccoons. Do you really want to be welcoming either of them? Coyotes are a menace to small pets and raccoons will tear the shingles off your roof.

The other thing about bird feeders is they can create a rat problem. Birds spill a lot of seed on the ground. Mice, rats and squirrels will move right in to feast on it.

Chipmunks too in some areas. Cute little critters but they won't hesitate to come inside to look for the peanuts, etc.

Not a fan of bird feeders! It's too bad because so many of our birds are lovely.
Raccoons aren't common here, no rats. Coyotes yes, and their are rules in place regarding birdfeeders but are still allowed. When it comes to food birdfeeders are probably quite a ways down the list. Squirrels will get to them although I don't even see much of those in this part of the city. Chipmunks there are plenty in the wider area, but I find they don't hang out much in developed areas. Mice I find are more interested in the garden space and oddly grass in the shed - lawnmower bag and grass seed.

What rules do you have about coyotes? Those things worry me quite a bit. A school in Brampton is keeping kids inside right now because a coyote has been hanging around the yard.

In Toronto I have only seen chipmunks in big parks or at the Zoo. They are common in Pickering though I hear. Pickering is a smaller city just east of here

We have a massive amount of chipmunks, all along our large stone retaining wall
Be wary! They can become overly tame and make a nuisance of themselves. They will climb up your screens, try to get inside and approach people for food.

They had to trap and move one out in Byron on the West side of London not long ago. Maybe 2020, during the lockdowns. They are technically native here, just got driven out eons ago by habitat destruction. Never heard if they figured where this particular one came from.

What rules do you have about coyotes? Those things worry me quite a bit. A school in Brampton is keeping kids inside right now because a coyote has been hanging around the yard.
That's a bit surprising unless it's shown to be aggressive. The school here had a den last year.

Birdfeeders have to be up so high and seed spillage can't be excessive.

There are bird feeders that squirrels cannot access. We only use niger seed now. Only chickadees and finches show much interest in it.

Back