Grocery shopping

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

My soup arrived from Mitchell's soup co (Thanks @Carolla ). planning to use one this week.

The week planning for dinners is working well, with flexibility when schedules shift.
Also finding that my youngest son is regularly helping with dinner. He checks out the recipes prior and will offer to help. Husband also will do prep work, or just cook dinner. Quite nice. It goes with most projec planning -- if you ensure people know what is going n,t hey can help and you end up having a smoother easier rollout.

Starting to plan menu for next week.

What is your rhythm of grocery shopping? Has it shifted with COVID?
Do any of you get boxes delivered for say vegetables?

I avoid weekend and weeknight grocery shopping if I can.
I like getting stuff that is marked down, so Monday morning grocery shopping tends to be good.

For the small locations that i shop at, they tend to be well planned big purchaes
I popped into the chicken place on Thursday at 3pm and i was only person there. Was able to get a big bag of chickren breasts and another of chicken thighs and restock the freezer. Won't have to go again until i have used up the 4 dozen eggs that I got.

Considering prices maybe a good time to bump this up.

I just have a silly rant about a mistake I keep making when it comes to pickup online orders.
Bananas, I think about 1/3 of the time I click 1 and think I'm getting the same quantity as what I had previously only to get ...1 banana. SMH. I wish personal warnings could pop up.

Banal ease ... then there is the soul of Anis in nana ... and she say Nada, Nada, Nada ... something to look up for reason ...

Otherwise the lies continue ... as constituted in fecundity! Some will never let go of nothing ... and thus holes in the entire spectra ...

Considering prices maybe a good time to bump this up.

I just have a silly rant about a mistake I keep making when it comes to pickup online orders.
Bananas, I think about 1/3 of the time I click 1 and think I'm getting the same quantity as what I had previously only to get ...1 banana. SMH. I wish personal warnings could pop up.
Yeah, I remember when we were doing online pickup for some of our shopping during the early days of the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, you had to watch the "Units of Measure" (as we call them in the sale system I manage) for some items. "Bunch" vs. "Each" can really screw you up. :giggle:

We are back to doing all our shopping in person now, though. We don't really trust others to select things like produce correctly so we got away from online pickup as quickly as possible once we were vaccinated and things seemed safer.

I decidedly prefer in person shopping, at least for perishables. I also don't like when they substitute a more expensive item if they're out of something. Last time I ordered, the store had so few of the items I ordered from their flyer, they called to ask me if I wanted to cancel it and save the delivery charge.
If it were more than just myself, I might consider online grocery shopping but I can get everything I need in the neighbourhood.

Why are stores so low on stock these days? Every week they seem to be out of something or the other.

Why are stores so low on stock these days? Every week they seem to be out of something or the other.
I've noticed that too. I've gone shopping with a list from the flyer and find nothing left of what I want. Stuff just flies off the shelves. It's weird.

I've noticed that too. I've gone shopping with a list from the flyer and find nothing left of what I want. Stuff just flies off the shelves. It's weird.
Yup. And it's not just the flyer items!

I haven't ordered groceries online, I guess I'm too old fashioned. We have three grocery stores and I always choose the same one for my first attempt to get something. They tend to be fairly basic though so if I want something a bit 'special' like bean sprouts or something I have to go to one of the other stores. My last pick is the Co-Op as they tend to be more expensive. Sometimes this makes me feel a bit guilty because they pay their staff better and support young people who work there and then decide to go for further education.

We only did in person shopping for groceries. Because we were seniors, during the first part of the restrictions, i did most of our shopping between 8 and 9 am when only seniors and people with special needs could shop.

We were making use of curbside prior to 2020 but before it used to be a portion, now almost all of our groceries are done this way. Produce is typically picked very well. I'm annoyed with Superstore on a few things, including price differences with substitutions and often decline them. Walmart does any substitution in the customers favour.

I'm usually really good about the units. Something about bananas though, especially when I pick them from things I commonly order.

We try to get local meat, at least some of the time. Tonight's supper is braised goat chops, grown and butchered on the same small farm. Our freezer also contains some pasture fed beef (tasty, but tougher than store meat). We shared a cow with one of our kids.

I'm a lazy bachelor who doesn't mind living alone, but hates cooking alone. So I eat out once a day 7 days a week.
For each day I rate my top 3 restaurants out of 21 per week. If the service is annoying at one, I might demote it from #2 to #3 that day.

Here is what I order at my 7 top tier restaurants:
Tony's Italian Eaterie (Sunday): the best Steak Philly Burger with potato salad, taramasu for desert, and coffee. Then I walk down to Taco Bell and order their Vegetarian Power Bowl, a salad with black beans, avocado, and various greens.
Rancho Chico (Monday--Mexican Day) Shrimp Stir-Fry, Fajita Mixtas, or Tampico Trio, always with a bowl of guacamole, coffee
Super-1: Tuesday: a Supermarket with the best deli (and seating) anywhere: meat loaf, 3 cartons of various types of mixed veggies (beets, kale, and spinach,
Thai to Go (Wednesday): Green or Yellow Curry with rice; then to Big Al's Coffee Shop for a 20 ounce Americano with Irish Cream
If you don't get in your order by noon, Thai to Go is booked up for the rest of the day!
Dragon Village (Thursday): Szechwan Seafood Platter with a Taquila Sunrise or a Combo special like the Mongolian Triple or the Hunan Triple
Maverick's (Friday): Tenderloin steak or a double mushroom burger, with clam chowder, mixed vegetables, and coffee
Acorn (Saturday): either the Prime Rib or New York steak & shrimp with baked potato, a bowl of their excellent soup, and either an Irish Coffee or an Old Fashioned

WHAT I SHOP FOR:
Fruit: blueberries, raspberries, bananas, and prunes
Veggies: Kale, Spinach, Chard, Red Peppers, Broccoli, Beet Juice
Ezekiel Cinnamon bread (most expensive bread, but yummy and no sugar! I lather on peanut butter and hummus.
I eat all this with lots of supplements, especially Melaleuca's 13 capsules a day).
Oh, and I need to drink more water!
Then I walk all this food off in a daily long walk 4-6 miles.

About once a week or three, we get lunch at Dairy Queen or A&W.. When we visit our daughter in Verdun, we get a meal at one of the restaurants on Wellington or close to Wellington. While Bonnie was in Mexico, I had a great breakfast at Miss Hawkesbury. About once a year we have supper at Stephanies, the fanciest restaurant in Hawkesbury. Most of the time we make our own meals. Tonight was vegan chili.

About once a week or three, we get lunch at Dairy Queen or A&W.. When we visit our daughter in Verdun, we get a meal at one of the restaurants on Wellington or close to Wellington. While Bonnie was in Mexico, I had a great breakfast at Miss Hawkesbury. About once a year we have supper at Stephanies, the fanciest restaurant in Hawkesbury. Most of the time we make our own meals. Tonight was vegan chili.
The best restaurant in town used to be Stephanie's. Her Halibut Supreme Special was to die for because of its fabulous sauce! But she was a bit pricier than Maverick's and that, together with Covid, persuaded her to shut down. I'm still in mourning!

I did not realize that Stephanie's could be part of s chain. In Hawkesbury it is a two story restaurant with a very large upper deck. Very fancy interior.

I did not realize that Stephanie's could be part of s chain. In Hawkesbury it is a two story restaurant with a very large upper deck. Very fancy interior.
Was wondering if you guys were talking about the same Stephanie's chain.

Back