Game – 100 uses for an old white queen-sized fitted sheet

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

A variation thereof; I suggested that it belonged in the rag bag, but in my particular rag bag, you tear as you go, rather than pre-tear...

Maybe create a bag out of part of it, to hold the rags the rest of it becomes?

Just thinking of my Nana who saved 'Bits of string too short to be worth saving' in a special bag. Make a bag and carefully write, or embroider, 'Bits of sheet too thin to be useful'.

I have an ancient small peanut butter jar (glass) full of bits of string, too small to do TOO much with, but big enough to tie together chicken legs, make a little loop for a bunch of herbs to dry hanging from a hook.

A variation thereof; I suggested that it belonged in the rag bag, but in my particular rag bag, you tear as you go, rather than pre-tear...

That's kind of what we do. We have a pile of old clothes in the en suite walk-in closet and just cut up what we need when we need it. I needed some cloths to clean the car interiors yesterday so found an old pair of my pjs and chopped it up.

This is a boring one, but you could just continue to use it as a sheet - maybe over an air mattress or foamy - when camping or when you have a full house and somebody needs to sleep on the floor.

Make lavender sachets - just cut circles or squares, put some dried lavender and or other fragrant dried flower petals in the middle of them, gather the edges together and tie a ribbon around each one. Keep them in your dresser drawers or hang one or two on hangers in your closet.

Last edited:
Make padded clothes hanger covers using the fabric made into tubes that can slip over the hanger and be stuffed with a bit of pillow stuffing and stitched (or glued) closed - to save certain clothes from getting stretched. It bugs me when I hang something up and the corner of the hanger stretches one spot leaving a pucker on the shoulder of a top or something. The softer and more substantial, the less likely that happens. .

Last edited:
In my living room, I have two loveseats. Nice construction (old Sklar-Pepplar) dated upholstery cat-damage. Covering them are two off-white natural cotton covers, which actually fit very well. I have decided that some sort of batik or tie-dying these covers will win us a few years of "this will do nicely". Directions? Websites? Ideas? Most projects deal with smaller surfaces.

For quilters - use as a border around the edge of the bed just the size of the matress top. (lay the sheet over the bed and mark the edges. cut a strip all around the sheet - as wide as you like your border after allowing for seam allowances on both sides. Sew around your nicely finished quilt top. Add a generous overhang on all sides. You might be pleased with how this border helps when trying to find the center when making the bed. no more having it reaching the floor on one side and barely covering the mattress on the other.

Use the3 left over center part of the sheet for some of the other suggestions on this thread.
My mother would have salvaged the better parts for her rag bag and used them in herbnext patchwork quilt.

Back