Fires in Northwest Territories

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

It probably would have when I was out, stuff outside is actually covered in a very thin layer of ash. I didn't realize how bad it was when I left today, and it got worse while I was out, I would have skipped my last errand if I knew it was going to get that bad.
My asthma is actually quite good. I was choking a little bit on my last trip from a store to my car. Minor wheezing when I went around the house closing the windows. I suspect healthy people had the same level of throat irritation as I did, unfortunately for me that lead to some swelling.

I hate the idea of wearing a mask, but maybe it's worthwhile getting a few disposable ones for days like today. If the throat swelling gets worse, it would be good to have one around to get to the ER to avoid making things worse. I'll probably just dampen a hand towel and use that if it comes to that.

Rain! :)
Although it's thunderstorms. Hopefully it's the lightening isn't bad where the trees are dry and that the other places are getting the rain too. Chemguy opened the window in the worst room in the house before he left early this morning, between that and the purifier, I can't smell any smoke in the house anymore. No more banishment for me!

I'm only checking in now. @GordW already answered the question about GP. It sure was nice to see the rain today. The air is fresher, and the temperature is much cooler. Hudsons Hope, BC folks can go back home even though they are still on alert. I have been concerned about friends at Moberly Lake. They seem to be doing okay, and the rain helped them too. I heard today that the road into Yellowknife has been opened. Perhaps things are settling down. One can hope.

Does anybody remember the young man from the northwest territories who used to post on WC? He was a Muslim, and in high school when he first joined us. I think he stopped posting when he went away to university. I hope that he is alright with all these fires in his home area.

Fires still raging here. 2 at ski area up the hills-one at the downhill area-with evacuations and one at cross country area. Fire-naramata way-is now out. Fire princeton/summerland still burning (no evacuations) and west Kelowna is still burning-large evacuations..

More rain today, a bit heavier than a steady drizzle. No thunderstorms. Now if the fires would just stop the air would stay decent!

Was talking to my dtr tonight in Whistler - she said there is haze in the air, even there. They had that hot weather, but it has now moved on & they had a rainy weekend - so hopefully that is more widespread & will help to quench the burning earth.

The air health index thingy in Edmonton was at 4 or 5 last week (or moderate) and was over 10 (Extreme) today in Yellowknife. Some days you can't see to the end of the street. I just heard today that this year is (worldwide) the hottest summer since records began in 1880.

I used to be asthmatic but have since gotten better (mostly, I still have mild sports-induced asthma). So all I get is an irritated nose and headaches. My friend who is asthmatic can't go anywhere on the bad days without someone giving him a ride because it's just too much on him.

Luckily the fires aren't close enough to threaten me currently, but last I checked there were like 130 currently burning fires across the NWT. Only about 7 or so were man-made, the rest were caused by all the lightning. We had (and continue to have) barely any rain in the spring, so the conditions just got dryer and dryer until: lightning. The heat will cause the pressure to change and the smoke will help create clouds, and then storms will come, drop a little rain, but the lightning starts a whole bunch of new fires. It's a vicious circle of fires, storms, rain, lightning, more fires...

We've got fire crews from all across the country & Alaska here helping out. It's crazy. The worst summer for this since the big fires about 20 or so years ago when they came within danger range of Hay River.

All this is without even considering all the fires in BC and Alberta...

God help us.

-Omni

Hey Omni...our Presbytery is heading up your way in September to have our meeting in Yellowknife.

I'll already be back at school at the end of August.

And you lot flatter me :3

It's good to be back and also not be on fire.

-Omni

@GordW - will you be travelling to Yellowknife? My family spent a week there last Sept and we loved it! A young friend of mine will be doing her ministry internship at Yellowknife UC from Sept to Jan this year.

It does sound like awful conditions there at the moment - prayers for all who are affected.

yes @Carolla. THis Presbytery includes Whitehorse and Yellowknife and every 5 years we go to one or the other. 4 yrs ago ( a year late) we went to Whitehorse. This year it is Yellowknife's turn. We intend to not leave anyone behind this time (though I will announce that anyone who misses the bus gets to become Presbytery chair in the spring of 2016). Right @Northwind?

I agree @GordW. I would though, like to correct the statement you made. The past chair in question did not miss the bus.....the bus left her behind..... o_O .....and none of her buddies on the back of the bus noticed she was missing.......apparently she was more of a wallflower than she had realized.....:cool:

I am looking forward to the trip to Yellowknife. It looks like we will have a couple of new faces with the intern at St Luke's and the one in Yellowknife. We will have to make sure we do not leave any new folks behind this time....

Back