Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

They are changing plans for 2nd doses here gor those on certain medications, very specific. I don't think any immunodeficiencies were included, a bit surprised although I was only half listening.
I think there are things that are missed - not by intentional exclusion, but by lack of awareness at the time of setting criteria. For example, I have a friend who is an educator - works both outdoors & indoors with classes from local schools and the public (although much of that is presently suspended due to stay-at-home & school closures). "Education workers" are on list being vaccinated in our region. She says she doesn't qualify because technically she doesn't work "in a school" but in a nature conservancy that serves schools. It's an unusual position - uncommon - and I think just not recognized at time of setting criteria. I'd be challenging it if I were her - but her nature is not to push back, unfortunately.

Pregnant women got bumped up the list in Ontario this morning. Don't think that affects anyone here directly but if you have pregnant kids, grands, neighbours, or whatever, might want to make sure they have heard.

How does that work @Northwind?

They have a phone number that you use to text. You text the word "join" with your name. They text back with where you are in the line. When it's your turn you get a "Voila it's your turn" text that tells you to proceed to the door. If you are going to be late you text "late" or "be there in x minutes" then you let them know when you arrive. There is someone in the clinic who has an iPad so it's a real person on the other end. When I joined the line last week I got in right away. Since I wasn't at the clinic I let them know I didn't realize it would be so quick and told them I'd be 15 minutes. It's great. You can also book an appointment online. The line up, including appointments is on a TV screen inside.

They are changing plans for 2nd doses here gor those on certain medications, very specific. I don't think any immunodeficiencies were included, a bit surprised although I was only half listening.

My reason for getting immunocompromised is included in Alberta's change.

I wonder if we will see a big decrease in vaccines now that India has, understandably, cancelled exports

it sounds very scary in India and they certainly need all the vaccines they can get

here, schools are shut again, seeing as it is the end of April it is hard to imagine they will get back to in school classes. Teachers still trying to push to be at the front of the line. But seeing as day cares are working, it’s feels like they should get pushed to the front of the line

When I booked my appointment I couldnt get through by phone....so I went online.
It was through Southwestern Health because they were offering the pfizer vaccine. I was offered several days and times within a week. Then I was emailed instructions for arrival. Dont show up too early but arrive approx. 10 munutes before appointment. Have the papers filled out that you can download or fill out at the vommunity centre when you arrive. The papers are fast to fill out with basic questions about possible symptoms and any other basic concerns. After identity and appointment was confirmed at the door and the next area rechecked my info. I was then ushered into an area with separate individual booths. The nurses and in my case a doctor brings their cart to you. The needles are prefilled by a team in another room and the vials must be used within 6 hours of being thawed and being duluted. I was asked to answer the same questions on the forms I filled out. Then given the vaccine. Some healthcare workers walk around to observe for any reactions as you sit for 15 minutes after your vaccine and also clean the booths as people leave. They also offer something to drink while waiting. The person who gave me the vaccine could also see me as he moved on to the next person. There was a recovery room area for those who may need it for whatever reason. (eg.feeling faint, etc). I was told no one needed it yet during all the days of giving the vaccines.
After the 15 minutes was up I walked to another area near the exit where I was given a printout with the date of my second dose. And I left.
It was extremely well done. Social distancing was also well done.

When I booked my appointment I couldnt get through by phone....so I went online.
It was through Southwestern Health because they were offering the pfizer vaccine. I was offered several days and times within a week. Then I was emailed instructions for arrival. Dont show up too early but arrive approx. 10 munutes before appointment. Have the papers filled out that you can download or fill out at the vommunity centre when you arrive. The papers are fast to fill out with basic questions about possible symptoms and any other basic concerns. After identity and appointment was confirmed at the door and the next area rechecked my info. I was then ushered into an area with separate individual booths. The nurses and in my case a doctor brings their cart to you. The needles are prefilled by a team in another room and the vials must be used within 6 hours of being thawed and being duluted. I was asked to answer the same questions on the forms I filled out. Then given the vaccine. Some healthcare workers walk around to observe for any reactions as you sit for 15 minutes after your vaccine and also clean the booths as people leave. They also offer something to drink while waiting. The person who gave me the vaccine could also see me as he moved on to the next person. There was a recovery room area for those who may need it for whatever reason. (eg.feeling faint, etc). I was told no one needed it yet during all the days of giving the vaccines.
After the 15 minutes was up I walked to another area near the exit where I was given a printout with the date of my second dose. And I left.
It was extremely well done. Social distancing was also well done.
Mrs. M's experience was similar. SW uses the same system as Middlesex-London. Seems to work well. Now I just need to become eligible so I can try it out myself. :whistle:

BTW, the Free Press talked to the pharmacies offering AZ in London and they are pretty much out of vaccine now and have massive waiting lists. Hope some more comes in soon.

The pharmacy in Deep River had enough vaccine for 250 people. They have 750 people on their waiting list. In a community of about 7000 including Laurentian Hills.

Mrs. M's experience was similar. SW uses the same system as Middlesex-London. Seems to work well. Now I just need to become eligible so I can try it out myself. :whistle:

BTW, the Free Press talked to the pharmacies offering AZ in London and they are pretty much out of vaccine now and have massive waiting lists. Hope some more comes in soon.

My partner is on the list for Astrozeneva at the pharmacy, hes 7 years younger than me. But he also has an appointment at his doctors....so whichever comes first I guess.

Hopefully BC will update their scheduling soon too!

I hope so. Many are asking for it.

I'm on hold with the BC nurse line to ask about my injection site. I just noticed it's quite red and raised. Not itchy or sore. It seems odd almost two weeks after the shot

So I talked to a nurse on the BC nurse line and she had me talk to the doctor. He could look at it through Zoom. He believes it is a localized reaction to the vaccine. He confirmed it's a sign my body is doing what it's supposed to do and mounting an immune response, so good news. I do have signs to watch for in case it's an infection. Phew.

So I talked to a nurse on the BC nurse line and she had me talk to the doctor. He could look at it through Zoom. He believes it is a localized reaction to the vaccine. He confirmed it's a sign my body is doing what it's supposed to do and mounting an immune response, so good news. I do have signs to watch for in case it's an infection. Phew.
You're the first person I have heard of with COVID arm.

I just looked up "covid arm". That fits with what I'm experiencing. The doctor may have commented that they're finding some people do have these reactions. He wasn't concerned. I specifically asked if I should get the second shot and he said yes.

I just looked up "covid arm". That fits with what I'm experiencing. The doctor may have commented that they're finding some people do have these reactions. He wasn't concerned. I specifically asked if I should get the second shot and he said yes.
Yeah just the term being used for the localized immune reaction to the vaccine. With the reporting many do experience itching with it too.

So I now know about "COVID arm" and "vaccine hangover" (which is just being sick for a day or so after getting a shot). The latter was the subject of an article in the Globe. Apparently, it is more common after the first shot with AZ but after the second with the mRNA vaccines. Which tallies with a quip from one of the managers at work that the second shot of Pfizer"kicked them in ass", referring to staff on his team who got shots early in the game because they were serving clients in longterm care.

Yeah just the term being used for the localized immune reaction to the vaccine. With the reporting many do experience itching with it too.

It's a little itchy sometimes. It only got itchy when the nurse was asking what it looked like and I pulled my arm out of my sweatshirt to look. It's not itchy at this moment.

Huh wonder what's happening
Questions raised about gap between Moderna vaccines delivered and administered in Alberta

Close to me Moderna is out. I know they were diverting some from pharmacies to AHS clinics. Cargill was also supposed to have a clinic with Moderna set up and it wasn'tdue to shipment delays. Would be good to hear why the gap, it may be about setting up in certain areas.

Back