Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The AstraZeneca vaccine approval isn't happening as soon as was indicated earlier.

I wonder if we will see it approved with more limited use as has been done in some other places, ie. Under 65 only or something like that. If so, provinces which have put out phasing info will have to readjust.

The AstraZeneca is the one most Aussies will get - as we can make it here. Being over 70 I just hope it will be safe. My step-daughter is a doctor - and she said to take it if offered,,,,,,

The AstraZeneca is the one most Aussies will get - as we can make it here. Being over 70 I just hope it will be safe. My step-daughter is a doctor - and she said to take it if offered,,,,,,
The reason for it being approved for certain age groups is the data isn't all that clear. Not a side effect issue but rather one of effectiveness. So some countries will stick to using the other options for older age groups. I agree if this is the only option choosing this vs not choosing this for the over 65 group- get it. Assuming there aren't other concerns as to why to skip it.

If one gets a Covid vaccine this year and it turns out we have to get one every year, do we have to stick with the same Covid vaccine that we started with every year?

If one gets a Covid vaccine this year and it turns out we have to get one every year, do we have to stick with the same Covid vaccine that we started with every year?

I can't imagine why. We don't worry about what company has constructed our flu vaccine, right?

I can't imagine why. We don't worry about what company has constructed our flu vaccine, right?
Agreed and other vaccines change over time too. If it's a seasonal thing mutations will likely factor in. Needing a booster every year is atypical.

So it won't matter if one is mRNA or not?
No the mRNA will change for the seasonal option. Pfizer and Moderna this year would be more similar than Pfizer 2021 and Pfizer 2022 and the protein our body produces this year would be a better match to other vaccines this year too. If it's just boosters the mix and match may not give super clear efficiency data - we tend to cater to those who lose immunity the quickest anyway though.and it would be more likely to be a 5 year thing than every year - perhaps one booster next year to get the immune system going. Similar to how the schedule works for others first some close together then years apart.

Had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. Was a bit worried, because most of the others got theirs the day before and at least half of them weren’t feeling well, joint pain, headache, some nausea, tiredness, brain fog. I was one of the ones that didn’t have any side effects ( someone said people over 50 have less side effects than under 50, not sure where she heard that. ) Side effects lasted less than 24 hrs. My colleague said, it felt like really bad flu and everything hurt- and if this is how Covid feels but for weeks instead of hours, she is glad she got the vaccine.

Had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. Was a bit worried, because most of the others got theirs the day before and at least half of them weren’t feeling well, joint pain, headache, some nausea, tiredness, brain fog. I was one of the ones that didn’t have any side effects ( someone said people over 50 have less side effects than under 50, not sure where she heard that. ) Side effects lasted less than 24 hrs. My colleague said, it felt like really bad flu and everything hurt- and if this is how Covid feels but for weeks instead of hours, she is glad she got the vaccine.
It's in the monograph (so from the studies) plus the news is reporting that too, older someone is after hitting a certain point the side effects tend to decrease overall - as a strong immune response is less likely.

Last edited:
Update to vaccine phases here - I might fall into phase 2B - health issues are not yet announced for that. It would put me above non-seniors in homeless shelters, those over 50, etc. Nothing about Chemguy though being a priority - he would be phase 3 - all adults and I don't know if I should even be getting it.

I've been hearing that new research says that one dose of the vaccine might be enough. Apparently people are developing a 92% effectiveness rate. The second dose only bumps it up a little bit. It's interesting to see what they learn as they proceed.

I've been hearing that new research says that one dose of the vaccine might be enough. Apparently people are developing a 92% effectiveness rate. The second dose only bumps it up a little bit. It's interesting to see what they learn as they proceed.
If it's the same information I have seen it shows that 1 dose provides protection quickly. It isn't evidence 1 dose is enough for that protection to last for months.

Also, if we compare to other vaccines it's not uncommon to have boosters for a minority, but still large number of people. The hepatitis B vaccine for example - going of the top of my head 90% don't actually need the 3rd dose, the 3rd dose is to try to get a significant amount of that 10% of the population better protection.

It's in the monograph (so from the studies) plus the news is reporting that too, older someone is after hitting a certain point the side effects tend to decrease overall - as a strong immune response is less likely.
So, Can you explain why 50+ have less side effects but greater sickness if catching it ( without vaccination)? That doesn’t quite seem logical to me. Or does that mean younger people have stronger immun reactions therefore don’t get sick as quickly and severely?

If it's the same information I have seen it shows that 1 dose provides protection quickly. It isn't evidence 1 dose is enough for that protection to last for months.

I guess time will tell won't it. I find it reassuring to know they continue to learn as more information becomes available.

So, Can you explain why 50+ have less side effects but greater sickness if catching it ( without vaccination)? That doesn’t quite seem logical to me. Or does that mean younger people have stronger immun reactions therefore don’t get sick as quickly and severely?
Right younger people's immune systems generally do a better job of stopping the virus.

One thing I haven't seen discussed yet is interprovincial vaccinations. With different criteria as to who can get it when between provinces, can someone go to another province because they are doing a younger age group for example? If not, what about people who live/work for long periods in another province?

Back