Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Also, laughing at the consternation about the change in expiry date to the AZ vaccine. "Expiry dates" are a wyrd modern phenomena. I loved the container of 2 million year old Himalayan Pink Rock salt that "expired" this year. Less pink, less Himalayan, less "salty"?

Wonder what would happen if they had their drivers licences suspended for the duration of the stay at home order?
They'd lawyer up. I suspect that's why even when there are penalties, the cops and crown attorneys are pretty chintzy at handing them out. I am guessing they know that they will either end up with a lot of work defending fairly small penalties or that a lot will get tossed out or plea bargained away. So they focus on a few key individuals like the ministers of recalcitrant churches rather than ticketing everyone present.

They'd lawyer up. I suspect that's why even when there are penalties, the cops and crown attorneys are pretty chintzy at handing them out. I am guessing they know that they will either end up with a lot of work defending fairly small penalties or that a lot will get tossed out or plea bargained away. So they focus on a few key individuals like the ministers of recalcitrant churches rather than ticketing everyone present.
Well let them "lawyer up", but their day in court could be delayed by a few years...due to Covid back ups. ;)

Also, laughing at the consternation about the change in expiry date to the AZ vaccine. "Expiry dates" are a wyrd modern phenomena. I loved the container of 2 million year old Himalayan Pink Rock salt that "expired" this year. Less pink, less Himalayan, less "salty"?
Little different when something is injected. I just thought it odd Ontario was making the statement and not Health Canada.

I’m most concerned about this, mix & match the two doses of the vaccine. Federal govt has approved it, just now. No other country had done this. You get say Pfizer for your first dose (as I did) then you’ll be given Astrazeneca for the second dose. Conduct an experiment use the citizens of Canada as guinea pigs. We are way behind both the US and the UK. At age 69, I have barely left my home for a year. Now this. For the first time, I am seriously worried.

I’m most concerned about this, mix & match the two doses of the vaccine. Federal govt has approved it, just now. No other country had done this. You get say Pfizer for your first dose (as I did) then you’ll be given Astrazeneca for the second dose. Conduct an experiment use the citizens of Canada as guinea pigs. We are way behind both the US and the UK. At age 69, I have barely left my home for a year. Now this. For the first time, I am seriously worried.

Unfortunately, NACI have not actually posted the new update on their own site yet, just released it to the media, so I will refrain from passing judgement until I see that. However, ifyou read that article carefully, it does not say that they allow for AZ as a second dose for mRNA, only the reverse. It does suggest that the two mRNA vaccines can back each other up, which makes sense given that they use the same technology.

Unfortunately, NACI have not actually posted the new update on their own site yet, just released it to the media, so I will refrain from passing judgement until I see that. However, ifyou read that article carefully, it does not say that they allow for AZ as a second dose for mRNA, only the reverse. It does suggest that the two mRNA vaccines can back each other up, which makes sense given that they use the same technology.
I agree, Moderna & Pfizer could be interchanged. I might have read it wrong. I am really rattled.

Mendalla: you are correct. It only discussed the scenario of Astrazeneca first followed by Pfizer. Repeated use of the term “mix and match” might not be the best idea.

I found another longer article making that more clear. It also mentioned that you could not keep using Astrazeneca past two doses as there is an immune response to the adenovirus that it uses.

There has been talk that a third dose might be necessary next year.

There has been talk that a third dose might be necessary next year.
But an annual booster would probably be like flu. When I get my flu shot, they don't ask which flu shot I got the year before even though several labs are making them. And, in any case, given the problems with the adenovirus vaccines (AZ and J&J), the mRNA probably will be favoured going forward.

It's less of an approval ie. not Health Canada and more of a recommendation.

I'm annoyed with NACI I posted earlier about their recommendation about avoiding it - knowing more data was coming.
There was something about the mix and match study being delayed until the end of June when it was expected around now, not sure as to why. Preliminary data looks good though.
Their earlier recommendation wasn't based in science at all from what I could see ie. if 2nd dose of AZ not possible, follow up with J&J instead of an mRNA one.

Other countries have done this, the UK being a major one where a fair bit of the mix and match data is coming from.

My sense is there are people refusing to get a 2nd dose of AstraZeneca.
Given no 2nd dose, versus a 2nd dose of some other compatible, it makes sense to allow for that mix to occur.

My sense is there are people refusing to get a 2nd dose of AstraZeneca.
Given no 2nd dose, versus a 2nd dose of some other compatible, it makes sense to allow for that mix to occur.
Right now, some provinces aren't even doing the 2nd doses is my understanding for AZ. They are waiting to hear if mix and match is a better way to go. I suspect they will at least give AZ 2nd doses to those who are allergic to the mRNA ingredients.

Canada has also been doing a mix and match study, although my understanding is it was started later:
CG, I didn’t read it carefully enough. It discussed only the case of Astrazeneca being the first dose, followed by Pfizer.

My first dose was Pfizer. I await the second, likely in July or August, depending on supplies.

Back