Covid 19 Vaccine

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

It's approved by Health Canada. Eligible means the province is actually giving the vaccine to that age group. Ontario is not as of yet for 12-17.
I guess I think of it that way though as there's eligible to book now and who is eligible overall. Flexibility has been seen.
Isn't ON doing under 18 with risk certain risk factors? How are those numbers determined if so?

Eligibility has been 12+ for a little while if going by Health Canada.
AB has been doing 12 year olds for weeks.
AB only opened to all 12-17 last Monday. SOme with health issues may have been getting in before that but even then it was mainly 18+

AB only opened to all 12-17 last Monday. SOme with health issues may have been getting in before that but even then it was mainly 18+
There's a lot included with the health issues though. The asthma criteria would be more likely to include children than adults due to how it often presents.

There's a lot included with the health issues though. The asthma criteria would be more likely to include children than adults due to how it often presents.
True, but even the health criteria originally started at 17 or 18, not 12

True, but even the health criteria originally started at 17 or 18, not 12
They got the 16 year olds in fairly quickly too. But yeah, they did wait for further safety data to go younger.

I find 12 a bit of an odd age cut off, just thinking about the age group, although is used often for drug age ranges. There's a fair bit of diversity in terms of development. I haven't heard much new information coming out in terms of younger ages, but hopefully it's coming. Hopefully no complications with MIS-C, blood clots or anything else!

Data still seems to be lacking, it's frustrating.

I've been calling about a few different things, asked about titer testing. I was told to check in with private labs, although from what I have been able to find out so far is they are not doing the antibody tests on the vaccines,, rather actual infections (based on different antigens ie. different proteins of the virus), so it wouldn't tell me anything.
MB does have it under dynacare? I think is the company. But then even with doing that, not certain if the results mean anything yet. Ie. what's a good level.

I'm a bit confused about some of the AZ news. It sounded like when Ontario stopped 1st doses they expected what was left to expire. It was confirmed today AB's don't expire until June. There is a very good likelihood they will be used for 2nd doses - the 12 week period isn't up yet. Policy isn't confirmed yet and things may change based on data about risk, mix and match, etc. I wouldn't think the expiration dates would vary greatly between provinces, unless others weren't using up the oldest first. I know in BC there were cases of expired doses being given well after AB had used all of them from that set that had come from India initially.

There's a huge jump in the vaccination numbers today. I know the change with Pfizer was part of the reason, but that moreso effects pharmacies. Chemguy knows someone who went to the same clinic he did, apparently today it was packed. So I suspect some of it is just supply too.

The public health agencies in England and Scotland have reported results for the efficacy of AZ and Pfizer against B.1.617 (the one that is wreaking havoc in India). Results are actually pretty good after 2 doses, but crap with just one, which fits what has been seen with B.1.351 in South Africa as well. So the bottom line: get that second dose.

(Linking to the reporter's tweet because that seems to get around the Financial Times' paywall. Use the link in the tweet.)

Just got off the phone with my son. He is now eligible since last Thursday to get his vaccination, but he hasn’t gotten an appointment yet- he is afraid. He also has not been to the dentist ever since he moved out of my house about six years ago- despite never ever even have had any cavities. He always got really worked up as a child, almost fainting and throwing up when he got his needles. I offered to take time off to drive him, do whatever it takes. I wish they had drop in vaccination clinics specialized on people who are afraid, with psychological assistance ( maybe lying down instead of sitting for the 15 minutes, soft music, only nurses who are good at giving needles). I am not sure what else I can do to help him.

Damn, that's hard, Mrs. A. Both my kids are sensible; son has had both shots, daughter signed up first day possible and is in line.

Both of my kids had regular dental care as children, but both have crappy teeth (their Dad's). They will go to dentists, as they can afford them, but my son is close to losing all of his top teeth, and he's only 34.

I got the call for my 2nd dose. I'm going, with a lot of hesitancy There's just no data on titre testing, if even available here. The most information I would get is yes, there are antibodies in a quantity - which isn't really a question for me. How many do I need to be protected and am I there already is the big question without an answer.
Chemguy worries a lot about me with COVID which is a huge factor with me deciding to go. That plus the new isolation rules for people with 2 doses with enough time to kick in - that can make a big difference with my medical care..

*sigh* Not at all feeling confident about this decision. Dose 1 I was nervous about reactions, but I really felt like getting 1 dose was the right plan, regardless of potential HAE effects - which can be treated.
This time around I don't know if the benefits are worth the risks that I know I'm taking.

Doesn't help how unexpected this was. There was nothing in the media yet about 2nd doses being moved up besides those with certain medical treatments. I thought I had more time, that more data may trickle in. At the very least that I would hear a media announcement about moving up the 2nd doses before getting the call to come in.

Sometimes I wonder if I was exposed to Covid back in January when I felt slightly under the weather.....I wish I had got tested before my Covid vaccine to see if I had antibodies because some scientists are saying with antibodies you would only need one dose.
Does it make a difference @ChemGal if you found out how much antibodies you have or can they measure that?

Sometimes I wonder if I was exposed to Covid back in January when I felt slightly under the weather.....I wish I had got tested before my Covid vaccine to see if I had antibodies because some scientists are saying with antibodies you would only need one dose.
Does it make a difference @ChemGal if you found out how much antibodies you have or can they measure that?
You can pick up a test at pharmacies to find that out. Those are much easier to come by, the tests for antibodies after an infection vs. after a vaccine are testing for different antibodies.

The difference for me would be knowing if I'm protected. If I was protected, I would skip on the 2nd dose, as long as the virus was still around my doctors would likely let me get tested every so often (3 months, 6 months, something like that) and I could get the 2nd dose if my antibodies become too low to offer decent protection.
I have had this done for other vaccines. Ie. dTap or whatever the proper capitalization - didn't get it in grade 9 as my levels were sufficient. After my really bad flu shot reaction it was done again so I would know where it was, my tetanus was already low, so by the time I had cut myself when gardening I knew that needed something - vaccine or at least antibodies which the medical officer of health refused to sign off on.

Back