Bible Study Thread: Luke

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um....right, because its all about them ...but okay
No, it's not all about the disciples. I just think the story is spun a little differently if they have fallen asleep from grief.

Regardless of the reason, Jesus is alone as you have mentioned.
And His query, "Why are you sleeping?" is quite poignant.

Matthew's gospel has Jesus saying to Peter, "What, could you not watch with me one hour?" (Matthew 26: 40 NKJV)

The question is even more poignant here and Mark tells it much the same.

THe later Gospels do seem to want to paint a better picture of the disciples (although even then they seem pretty clueless a lot of the time). I suspect as time went by there was a need to make the founding folowerd seem to be better than they may have been seen in the original tellings.

In the documentary "The Last Days of Jesus" (as I previously mentioned above), there are some scholars that believe there was a longer timeline between Jesus riding the donkey into Jerusalem and the crucifixion. They believe that his entrance on the donkey was during the celebration of the Feast of the Tabernacles or Sukkot ( occurs in the fall), where palm leaves were part of that celebration....the palm leaves were part of the harvest and the represented the huts that the israelites lived in during their 40 years in the desert because they were partly made of Palm leaves. The festival relates to everything being dependent on the will of God and a celebration of the harvest by waving Palm leaves and the four species.
Anyway, these scholars suggested that if this were true it would mean a timeline of closer to six months between the entrance to Jerusalem and the Crucifixion.....which they said would explain why Jesus was so welcomed at one point but by Easter they were demanding his death. Of course between that time there are some political reasonings occurring too.
I only mention this because I wonder if the disciples loyalty could have been affected by the polotical climate as well....if this theory were true?
There is a historical timeline that coincides with this theory.

Luke 22:35-71 (GW)

35 Then Jesus said to them, “When I sent you out without a wallet, traveling bag, or sandals, you didn’t lack anything, did you?”

“Not a thing!” they answered.

36 Then he said to them, “But now, the person who has a wallet and a traveling bag should take them along. The person who doesn’t have a sword should sell his coat and buy one. 37 I can guarantee that the Scripture passage which says, ‘He was counted with criminals,’ must find its fulfillment in me. Indeed, whatever is written about me will come true.”

38 The disciples said, “Lord, look! Here are two swords!”

Then Jesus said to them, “That’s enough!”

unsafe says ----- Jesus here is telling His Disciples that when they were sent out by Him they lacked nothing but now they are going on their own as Jesus will not be with them and He is warning that they will need to provide now for themselves and they need to take what they need with them and also should take a sword -----I don't think Jesus was telling them to get into fights here but used the sword to demonstrate how serious and dangerous going out on their own will be for them ------ they really needed to look out for themselves -----

Verse 37------ I can guarantee that the Scripture passage which says, ‘He was counted with criminals,’ must find its fulfillment in me. Indeed, whatever is written about me will come true.”

unsafe says ---Here Jesus is fulfilling what was Prophesied in the Old Testament ------ Isaiah 53 verse 12 ----here

Isaiah 53 (NKJV)
The Sin-Bearing Messiah
12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the [s]spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.

unsafe says -----This statement Jesus makes here is powerful and confirms that the Old Testament was definitely the Prophesy of the coming of the Messiah ------ and it also confirms the word as being truth ------

Jesus Prays in the Garden of Gethsemane

39 Jesus went out of the city to the Mount of Olives as he usually did. His disciples followed him. 40 When he arrived, he said to them, “Pray that you won’t be tempted.”

41 Then he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, knelt down, and prayed, 42 “Father, if it is your will, take this cup of suffering away from me. However, your will must be done, not mine.”

43 Then an angel from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. 44 So he prayed very hard in anguish. His sweat became like drops of blood falling to the ground.[a]

45 When Jesus ended his prayer, he got up and went to the disciples. He found them asleep and overcome with sadness. 46 He said to them, “Why are you sleeping? Get up, and pray that you won’t be tempted.”

unsafe says ---We see Jesus goes to the Mount of Olives to pray -----and because He is in much distress and agony He ask His Father to take this cup of suffering from Him if it be His will ----and then He says your will must be done not mine -----He is sent an angel to give Him strength to actually be able to drink the cup and He begins to pray in hard anguish and we see He sweat blood here ------

unsafe says -----This is very significant because this is the first place Jesus shed His Blood ------

unsafe says ----We see Jesus told the Disciples to pray that they themselves wouldn't be tempted while they waited for Him ---but He found them asleep instead of praying ----Jesus knew that the darkness was coming to where He was and He didn't want the Disciples to be tempted by what they were about to witness -----

Jesus Is Arrested

47 While he was still speaking to the disciples, a crowd arrived. The man called Judas, one of the twelve apostles, was leading them. He came close to Jesus to kiss him.

48 Jesus said to him, “Judas, do you intend to betray the Son of Man with a kiss?”

49 The men who were with Jesus saw what was going to happen. So they asked him, “Lord, should we use our swords to fight?” 50 One of the disciples cut off the right ear of the chief priest’s servant.

51 But Jesus said, “Stop! That’s enough of this.” Then he touched the servant’s ear and healed him.

52 Then Jesus said to the chief priests, temple guards, and leaders who had come for him, “Have you come out with swords and clubs as if I were a criminal? 53 I was with you in the temple courtyard every day and you didn’t try to arrest me. But this is your time, when darkness rules.”

54 So they arrested Jesus and led him away to the chief priest’s house.

unsafe says ----We see Jesus is arrested Judas does His dirty deed and the Disciples get drawn in to try and protect Jesus and one Disciple cuts the ear off of the servants of the Chief Priest and this is why Jesus told them to pray to not be tempted -----but they slept instead ------Jesus heals the ear and says to them -------

“Have you come out with swords and clubs as if I were a criminal? 53 I was with you in the temple courtyard every day and you didn’t try to arrest me. But this is your time, when darkness rules.”

Peter Denies Jesus

Peter followed at a distance.

55 Some men had lit a fire in the middle of the courtyard. As they sat together, Peter sat among them. 56 A female servant saw him as he sat facing the glow of the fire. She stared at him and said, “This man was with Jesus.”

57 But Peter denied it by saying, “I don’t know him, woman.”

58 A little later someone else saw Peter and said, “You are one of them.”

But Peter said, “Not me!”

59 About an hour later another person insisted, “It’s obvious that this man was with him. He’s a Galilean!”

60 But Peter said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

Just then, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed. 61 Then the Lord turned and looked directly at Peter. Peter remembered what the Lord had said: “Before a rooster crows today, you will say three times that you don’t know me.” 62 Then Peter went outside and cried bitterly.

unsafe says ------We see Peter fulfills what Jesus had said would come to pass by denying Jesus 3 times ------and we see Jesus turns to Peter and says directly to him these words -

Peter remembered what the Lord had said: “Before a rooster crows today, you will say three times that you don’t know me.” 62 Then Peter went outside and cried bitterly.

unsafe says ---Peter then feels the pain and anguish of what he did ------- Peter was immediately convicted of His sin and when Believers sin the Holy Spirit immediately convicts the believer of the wrong doing and the believer immediately feels that guilt and grief of what they have done ------

The Trial in Front of the Jewish Council

63 The men who were guarding Jesus made fun of him as they beat him. 64 They blindfolded him and said to him, “Tell us who hit you.” 65 They also insulted him in many other ways.

66 In the morning the council of the people’s leaders, the chief priests and the experts in Moses’ Teachings, gathered together. They brought Jesus in front of their highest court and asked him, 67 “Tell us, are you the Messiah?”

Jesus said to them, “If I tell you, you won’t believe me. 68 And if I ask you, you won’t answer. 69 But from now on, the Son of Man will be in the honored position—the one next to God the Father on the heavenly throne.”

70 Then all of them said, “So you’re the Son of God?”

Jesus answered them, “You’re right to say that I am.”

71 Then they said, “Why do we need any more testimony? We’ve heard him say it ourselves.”

unsafe says ---this scripture speaks for itself ------Jesus endured what is here in this scripture freely for us ------Jesus was here on this earth because of one man's disobedience which brought sin to us all ------and the worse is yet to come for Jesus to endure to free us from the sin and death that we created -------

Thanks be to God for sending His Son to pay for what we deserve ------

Summary: Luke 23

1. The assembly rose and brought Jesus before Pilate. Pilate told them he found no fault in Jesus but they kept insisting He was stirring up all the people with his teaching.

2. PIlate sent Jesus to Herod (who was in Jerusalem at that time) when he learned He was from Galilee. Herod had wanted to see Jesus and was hoping to see him perform some signs. Herod questioned Jesus at length but He did not reply. The chief priests and scribe stood by, accusing Him. Herod and his soldiers mocked Jesus, put a robe on him an sent him back to Pilate.

Pilate and Herod became friends that day.

3. Pilate called together the leaders and the people, saying He would have Jesus flogged and then release him. The crowd kept shouting, "Crucify him!" They asked for the release of Barabbas and finally their voices prevailed. Pilate handed Jesus over as they wished.

4. Simon of Cyrene was seized and made to carry the cross and Jesus was led away to be crucified. A great number of people followed, among them women beating their breasts and wailing for Jesus. He told them to weep for themselves and their children. Two criminals were led away with Jesus to be put to death.

Jesus was crucified. The soldiers cast lots for his clothing and the leaders scoffed at Jesus.

Jesus said, "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

One of the criminals crucified with Jesus noted that He had done nothing wrong and requested, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus replied, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."

5. Darkness came over the land about noon. At three in the afternoon the curtain in the temple was torn in two and Jesus cried out, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." A centurion praised God and said, "Surely this man is innocent."

The crowds returned home, beating their breasts. The acquaintances of Jesus, including the women who had followed from Galilee, stood at a distance and watched.

6. There was a good and righteous man named Joseph of Arimathea who was a member of the council. He had not agreed with their actions and he went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. He took the body down, wrapped it in linen and laid it in a rock-hewn tomb where no one had ever been laid. The women prepared spices and ointments.

On the sabbath, they rested according to the commandment.

Luke 23 ---the fulfillment of The Suffering Servant ------

Reflection for today from Isaiah ----The Old Testament Prophecy of the coming of the One True Messiah who would Freely endure all that we ourselves deserve to suffer -----Jesus paid the Price for us all -----and the price He paid is
costly ----Grace does not come cheap -----

Isaiah 53 (AMP)

The Suffering Servant
53 Who has believed [confidently trusted in, relied on, and adhered to] our message [of salvation]?
And to whom [if not us] has the arm and infinite power of the Lord been revealed?
For He [the Servant of God] grew up before Him like a tender shoot (plant),
And like a root out of dry ground;
He has no stately form or majestic splendor
That we would look at Him,
Nor [handsome] appearance that we would [a]be attracted to Him.
He was despised and rejected by men,
A Man of sorrows and pain and acquainted with grief;
And like One from whom men hide their faces
He was despised, and we did not appreciate His worth or esteem Him.
But [in fact] He has borne our griefs,
And He has carried our sorrows and pains;
Yet we [ignorantly] assumed that He was stricken,
Struck down by God and degraded and humiliated [by Him].
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our wickedness [our sin, our injustice, our wrongdoing];
The punishment [required] for our well-being fell on Him,
And by His stripes (wounds) we are healed.
All of us like sheep have gone astray,
We have turned, each one, to his own way;
But the Lord has caused the wickedness of us all [our sin, our injustice, our wrongdoing]
To fall on Him [instead of us].
He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
Yet He did not open His mouth [to complain or defend Himself];
Like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
And like a sheep that is silent before her shearers,
So He did not open His mouth.
[b]After oppression and judgment He was taken away;
And [c]as for His generation [His contemporaries], who [among them] concerned himself with the fact
That He was cut off from the land of the living [by His death]
For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke [of death] was due?
His grave was assigned with the wicked,
But He was with a rich man in His death,
Because He had done no violence,
Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
Yet the Lord was [d]willing
To crush Him, [e]causing Him to suffer;
If [f]He would give Himself as a guilt offering [an atonement for sin],
He shall see His [spiritual] offspring,
He shall prolong His days,
And the will (good pleasure) of the Lord shall succeed and prosper in His hand.
As a result of the [g]anguish of His soul,
He shall see it and be satisfied;
By His knowledge [of what He has accomplished] the Righteous One,
My Servant, shall justify the many [making them righteous—upright before God, in right standing with Him],
For He shall bear [the responsibility for] their sins.
Therefore, I will divide and give Him a portion with the great [kings and rulers],
And He shall divide the spoils with the mighty,
Because He [willingly] poured out His life to death,
And was counted among the transgressors;
Yet He Himself bore and took away the sin of many,
And interceded [with the Father] for the transgressors.

Image result for thanks be to god who gives us the victory

Reflection for today from Isaiah ----The Old Testament Prophecy of the coming of the One True Messiah who would Freely endure all that we ourselves deserve to suffer

This is a curious contrast between two ways of reading the bible, for me. Literalists think of Isaiah 53 as predicting Jesus. More nuanced thought imagines the gospel writers using Isaiah as a framework to hang part of their developing story on. Jewish people don't think this passage is messianic. It's one of the many cases where the singular "He" represents the nation of Israel.

Our Good Friday service (held with four other congregations) used the story from Mark's gospel. The stories were interspersed with music and extinguishing of the candles. It was one of the simplest Good Friday services I have ever seen but it was quite powerful.

Unless anyone wants to discuss the text from Luke, which I summarized early this morning, I will see you on Sunday.

Time for Easter vigil now.

I always notice the women in the story. They watch the events from a distance, they follow as Joseph buries the body, they see where the body is, they go home and get stuff ready to anoint the body, as soon as the Sabbath is over. Disciples may flee, crowds may mock, but the group if women in question (even if from a distance) seem to faithfully follow.

I've always found Pilate to be a rather fascinating character. Outside of his role in this narrative, there are records of his activities in various Roman and Romano-Jewish sources of the period (Tacitus, Philo, Josephus). There is at least one solid piece of archaeological evidence, too, in an dedication inscription honouring Tiberius that names Pilate as Prefect of Judaea. He seems to have been anti-Semitic or at least insensitive to Jewish concerns. There's a famous incident recounted by both Philo and Josephus in which he allowed his troops to bring their standards into the city, which contained graven images that upset the Jews. It was something his predecessors had evidently explicitly not allowed. Josephus also recounts that Pilate nicked Temple money to pay for an aquaduct. He finally got sent home over an incident in Samaria and is alleged to have committed suicide on orders from Tiberius' successor, the notorious Caligula.

No non-Christian sources actually record his interaction with Jesus so it's hard to confirm the stories in the gospels, including Luke's. Some suggest that it seems odd that he gives in to the Jewish authorities and crowd when historically his relations with them were not the greatest. The explanation suggested is that they were trying to exonerate him to cozy up to the Romans while making the Jews scapegoats. Of course, it is hard to tell without a non-Christian source for the events.

This is a curious contrast between two ways of reading the bible, for me. Literalists think of Isaiah 53 as predicting Jesus. More nuanced thought imagines the gospel writers using Isaiah as a framework to hang part of their developing story on. Jewish people don't think this passage is messianic. It's one of the many cases where the singular "He" represents the nation of Israel.

That is also my understanding of this passage from Isaiah.

No non-Christian sources actually record his interaction with Jesus so it's hard to confirm the stories in the gospels, including Luke's. Some suggest that it seems odd that he gives in to the Jewish authorities and crowd when historically his relations with them were not the greatest. The explanation suggested is that they were trying to exonerate him to cozy up to the Romans while making the Jews scapegoats. Of course, it is hard to tell without a non-Christian source for the events.
Maybe completely reading through this essay might help explain it? Have you ever heard of Lucius Aelius Sajanus?

Sejanus? Of course. You can't study Tiberius' reign without looking at the role of Sejanus. He pretty much ran the show for the last part of Tiberius' reign.
I just found it interesting how he and Pontius Pilate supported anti semetism and how the political climate changed at the point of deciding Jesus' fate, that he let the Jewish crowd make the choice they did....when prior to that he would not have considered their input because of his prejudice....at least according to the article.
There certainly was alot of political upheaval occurring during Jesus' crucifixion .

I just found it interesting how he and Pontius Pilate supported anti semetism and how the political climate changed at the point of deciding Jesus' fate, that he let the Jewish crowd make the choice they did....when prior to that he would not have considered their input because of his prejudice....at least according to the article.
There certainly was alot of political upheaval occurring during Jesus' crucifixion .
HOwever it continues to assume that Pilate would not have wanted Jesus crucified, which may well be an attempt by the early church to convince Rome they were not a threat to the Roman Peace.

HOwever it continues to assume that Pilate would not have wanted Jesus crucified, which may well be an attempt by the early church to convince Rome they were not a threat to the Roman Peace.
Or it could have been that after Sejanus was executed in 31CE under Tiberius' orders, that Pilate was no longer allowed to continue the antisemitism he shared with Sejanus who used to be in charge. In 32CE, Tiberius declared it illegal to mistreat the Jews after he found out Sejanus claims against them were fabricated. So possibly Pilate would not override the decision to crucify Jesus in order to look like he was listening and respecting the Jews in their decision and following Tiberius' order to prove his loyalty? Also the Jewish crowds cried out that anyone who supports someone who claims to be a king is no friend of Ceasar. "Friend of Ceasar" was a term reserved for senators, knights and administrators who were favoured by the Emperor...to lose this favour would mean you could lose your title and position...thus the Jews were in a way, uttering a threat to Pilate, crucify him or we will complain to Tiberius.

Summary: Luke 24

At early dawn, on the first day of the week, the women came to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, there was no body.

Suddenly two men in dazzling white clothes stood beside them. The women were afraid but the men said, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but he has risen." The men reminded them that Jesus had said he must be handed over to sinners, be crucified and on the third day, rise again.

The women remembered His words. On returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to others. Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them spoke but their words seemed to be an idle tale and they were not believed.

Peter got up and ran to the tomb and saw the linen cloths by themselves. He went home, amazed at what had happened.

On that same day, two of them (Cleopas and another) were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. As they talked about what had happened, Jesus himself came near. He asked them what they were discussing but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. Jesus interpreted for them all the things about himself in the scriptures.

They urged Jesus to stay with them for it was almost evening. Jesus sat at table with them, took the bread, blessed and broke it. As their eyes were opened and they saw it was Him, Jesus vanished from their sight. They said to each other, "Were our hearts not burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?"

They returned to Jerusalem and found the eleven and their companions gathered together. They were saying that the Lord had risen and appeared to Simon. The two told them what had happened on the road and how He had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.

While they were talking, Jesus stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." They were terrified and thought they were seeing a ghost but Jesus told them to see and touch him. Jesus asked for something to eat and they gave him a piece of broiled fish. He ate it in their presence.

Jesus said that everything written about him in the law and the prophets and the psalms had to be fulfilled. He opened their minds to understand the scriptures and instructed them to stay in the city until they had been clothed with power from on high. Repentance and forgiveness of sins was to be proclaimed in His name to all nations, beginning with Jerusalem.

Jesus led them out as far as Bethany and blessed them. He withdrew from them and was carried up into heaven. The disciples returned to Jerusalem with great joy and they were continually in the temple, blessing God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back