Worst Gift Scenario

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

We always have at least one Christmas scene puzzle, and usually more. We do them on a large piece of cardboard so it's easy to move off and on the table. They used to come from Santa, but now they often come out a little earlier due to the short trip in and time spent with in-laws.

Every time my sis and daughter and I go shopping and we see Chia Pets, I tell them "nobody better ever get me a chia pet for a gift" . . . I know one of these days one of them will just to be smart.

If someone may me "special" fruitcake, that didn't have any of the ingredients that I can't eat, yet tasted like real fruitcake, I would be soooo happy!

Also with me, seeler. A neighbour we had always gave us a jigsaw puzzle every year for Christmas as we were growing up. I would spend Christmas afternoon/evening doing the puzzle (if we didn't have company or go out visiting) and throughout the Christmas holidays til it was done.

Santa brings our household a puzzle every year for Christmas too! And those of us that gather here work on it over the holidays. Our Co-op store used to get in the most beautiful Christmas scene jigsaw puzzles, but they stopped a couple of years ago . . . it is hard to find them here . . . I will look on one of my out-of-town trips.

My mom's a big puzzle fan - so she always gets one or two for Christmas. Her favorites are Sprngbk. In my experience, people are either really into puzzles, or else they would rather not go near them at all.

What can't you eat?

I'm guessing either nuts or gluten, both a part of fruitcakes. My mother had to make an extra batch every Christmas for her brother who had nut allergies. Our batch had almonds in it, his did not.

Reactions: Jae
I see Mendalla told you all what leffsa is (I have no idea of the correct spelling). Nope- I'm no Viking but my partner's ancestors include several of the Nordic countries. He grew up eating "Scandahoovian' foods, especially on special occasions like Christmas. All our kids and grands love leffsa - hot or cold or buttered or with cheese or garlic sausage, or fish, or spread with jam. Basically it is mashed potatoes and flour so there isn't really anything to not like! (Sorry gluten free folks- but I think you could make it with your own version of flour).

I'll confess to not liking lutefisk! Only person in this family who does is my partner - who doesn't like it enough to prepare his own.

Anyone wanting to give an unwelcome gift could consider giving lutefisk!

Another useless gift for me would be tickets to an ice hockey game - or a football game.

Did anyone watch a program in the last week or so. All or most women products are more expensive than the same item for males.
Deodorant etc.

Reactions: Jae
i'm not sure of the price difference (if any) between the Schick and the Lady Schiek, but I seem to remember that the Schick was bigger, heavier, and perhaps of better quality than the dainty pink one. And women usually shaved a bigger area than men who just shaved their cheeks and chin.

I have noticed that women's shirts and pants are more expensive, and often poorer quality, than men's - and often the only apparent difference is the side they button on.

And while we are on the subject - why no pockets in women's pants. Do you think that designers could get away with that with men?

i'm not sure of the price difference (if any) between the Schick and the Lady Schiek, but I seem to remember that the Schick was bigger, heavier, and perhaps of better quality than the dainty pink one. And women usually shaved a bigger area than men who just shaved their cheeks and chin.

I have noticed that women's shirts and pants are more expensive, and often poorer quality, than men's - and often the only apparent difference is the side they button on.

And while we are on the subject - why no pockets in women's pants. Do you think that designers could get away with that with men?

My old Timmys uniform pants had no pockets.

Back