what are you reading?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

i have a copy of the 21 Things book Tabitha mentions above - but have not yet started it.

I'm slowly making my way through How to Be an Anti-Racist - interesting, but I find I need to take it in bite-sized chunks in order to reflect & digest it.

I read a couple of great novels through the winter/spring.

For fun I'm presently reading Calypso by David Sedaris - makes me laugh out loud :) - which since the author is a humourist, commedian is to be expected.

My husband recently read Carl Hiaasen's newest novel - Squeeze Me - also pretty funny, with not thinly veiled cast resembling the current US First Family.

Still working on the Coddling of the American Mind ... the intersectionality problem with a populace that is insensitive to pain of any sort by way way of positive denial of pain's existence!

Do ordinary people understand the expression; intersectionality theory ... another agenda or conspiracy of alien sort ... being it is a general unknown?

I am totally loving "The Hidden Life of Trees" at present. I've also recently gone on a Malcolm Gladwell non-fiction-fling.

Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward's Gun Club by Megan Gail Coles
At least I've cracked it and got to the end of the first chapter. I may finish it someday.

I really enjoy Malcolm Gladwell's books too.

Truth: A Brief History of Total Bull**** by Tom Phillips. Somewhat lighthearted look at hoaxes, cons, 'fake news' through history, and outright baldfaced lies.

Truth: A Brief History of Total Bull**** by Tom Phillips. Somewhat lighthearted look at hoaxes, cons, 'fake news' through history, and outright baldfaced lies.

Bald Faced lies .... how could they be laid out in reality ... only virtually?

Generally is truth really a lie ... given what little we know by blind faith that all is known ... when we aren't even close to knowing eternal things out of reach! This is ontological frustration when the consequences are complex in a simple world ... prepare ... it gets worse ... if you know what I means!

Even the word is clearly inky ...

The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore. While it was written by an American in 1933 (and uses that as part of its framing device), this classic novel is set in France in the mid-late nineteenth century and doesn't do a half bad job of feeling like it belongs to that time. There's definitely some Victor Hugo DNA in it. While the title character definitely places this as a horror novel, much of it is historical melodrama with events like the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 and the Paris Commune playing roles in the story. And, while the werewolf is certainly the focus of the horror, the humans are often as bad or worse. I mean, the werewolf is conceived when a Catholic priest rapes a fourteen-year-old serving girl sent by her mistress to get some holy water. How much lower can you go than that? Interestingly, lust is as powerful a force as violent hunger in this werewolf story, and it is really about humans, werewolf and ordinary alike, being overtaken by their animal nature. Even the scholarly Frenchman whose writings provide the American narrator with his material gives in to uncontrolled, and somewhat violent, lust for the werewolf's mother (while she is pregnant, no less). Not as famous as other seminal horror works like Frankenstein or Dracula (there is only one direct film adaptation and even it changed the story and setting), but it certainly helped establish and popularize some of the tropes of the modern werewolf novel.

Just read this on Stories Space (the board where I publish). Terrific piece about a young man's love of running and his relationship with his coach. One of the mods gave it a Recommended Read and I am quite in agreement.

Just completed reading the Blank Slate ... another perspective of the Zero Sum Game ... for those attempting to add it all up ... the sycophant urge!

It is about the Beautiful Mind as a medium ... something despised and rejected by radicalism! Thus myths must continue ... if only for stretch and avoiding the common line of oligarchy!

I have been reading Obama’s first book ( picked up at a second hand store), “Dreams from my father”. Interesting read, especially how he struggled with his place in society as a black teenager. I am not through yet. Would love to read his last book, but $30+ is a bit too expensive for me. Maybe it will show up in the second hand bookstore next year.

I've been trying to read through the Canada Reads books via the library. It's long over, I've read all of one, sampled all five.

I've been trying to read through the Canada Reads books via the library. It's long over, I've read all of one, sampled all five.
FYI, The Midnight Bargain by C. L. Polk just picked up a Best Novel nomination for the Nebula Awards (the writers' association awards for SF and F, vs. the Hugos which are voted on by fans).

I've shifted to more short form reading lately - my neighbour gave me a huge stack of New Yorker magazines, so I'm leafing through those & finding some articles of interest. Very text dense magazine, and published weekly!

I have been reading Obama’s first book ( picked up at a second hand store), “Dreams from my father”. Interesting read, especially how he struggled with his place in society as a black teenager. I am not through yet. Would love to read his last book, but $30+ is a bit too expensive for me. Maybe it will show up in the second hand bookstore next year.
Library? E Book?

I recently subscribed to Literare Review of Canada. It’s a monthly magazine. There are generally a few opinion pieces and poetry. The bulk of the articles are reviews of books. So it’s a double gift. The articles are interesting and then there are the books you can buy or borrow.

Library? E Book?
I have the feeling, judging from his first book, that the second will be even more of a keeper. Though my son is not a reader, I am collecting a shelf full to leave him as inheritance, complete with written remarks from me ( on separate pages, as to why and in which situation this might be a good book to read. Since he has lives through the Trump era , he might be interested when he gets older.

I am reading Laurie R King's Lockdown. Written in 2017, turning out to be as exceptionally written as many of her other books. Well-crafted.
It's a standalone book (ie not part of Mary Russel or other series

Back