what are you reading?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Agreed, with sympathy. Mr Redde and I attempt to be one complete person. He can see, I can hear. I can get down, he can reach up, I am nimble, he is strong. He always knows where my glasses are. And s**t, I have these fancy trifocals and as often as not, I just take off my glasses and jam the appropriate information an inch away from my better eye.,
 
Really wonderful awful book. I love Wally Lamb, but his books are almost inevitably very painful. "River is Waiting". He's one of the most emotionally honest author of my favs, but damn, he's hard.
 
This is true ... but then how often is the truth obscurred in reality because we are free to do whatever if you didn't have a sense of admiration for anything else ... the other?

Desire often overruns like a river ... thus floods of emotion instead of the opposed which is out of sight. Is that blind faith that emotions are best?

One questions if out of the mystery and darkness ... i.e. all screwed up as someone drifting about in the dark and believing they are the only one there ... then the impact ... some get it critically when younger and dealing with fringes! Edge people are like hangers in the PTSD and other extremities ... or a twig on the cliff ...
 
Agreed, with sympathy. Mr Redde and I attempt to be one complete person. He can see, I can hear. I can get down, he can reach up, I am nimble, he is strong. He always knows where my glasses are. And s**t, I have these fancy trifocals and as often as not, I just take off my glasses and jam the appropriate information an inch away from my better eye.,
You're reminding me of that nursery rhyme - Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean ....
 
And since this is a bookish thread - has anybody read this? "They Left us Everything" by Plum Johnson. Was a best-seller about 10 or so years ago. It's on my list!! Now, if I could find a way to empty my inbox in one fell swoop .... that would be divine!!

I just finished this book, @Carolla . It was interesting to read her recollections of her parents, her thoughts in her youth, her learnings as she purged the house, and the reveals.

Ithought it was well written. It wasn't the most well-read book, but, the content made it worthwhile.
 
I've started Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez.

Published in 2017, I'm not sure why I hadn't stumbled into it before.
It's hard to read at times, and I think the stories will remain.

I'm not done, but, am on Chapter 22 of 38. The stories weave, and at times I wish i had a sheet of paper with the cast of characters.
 
Last month my book study group read this non-fiction - with Day of Truth & Reconciliation approaching ... It was EXCELLENT. Based on a true Canadian situation. Very well researched & told in an approachable manner.

Valley of the Birdtail: An Indian Reserve, a White Town, and the Road to Reconciliation​

by Andrew Stobo Sniderman & Douglas Sanderson

Now, with Oct 7 approaching ... we're reading this non-fiction - also EXCELLENT - and with Canadian relevance. Interesting to connect the two as well.

The Wall Between: What Jews and Palestinians Don't Want to Know about Each Other​

by Raja Khouri, & Jeffrey Wilkinson

Coming up in November - looking forward to this also!

Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others​

by Barbara Brown Taylor
 
Back
Top