WE. What in earth is going on?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Voluntourism by charities like WE is based on faulty ideals of feel-good white saviourism
Voluntourism by charities like WE is based on faulty ideals of feel-good white saviourism

not sure if this link will open. The Star has a pay wall But it is a column about the idea of going to Africa to “fix” it on your vacation

another scathing Star article about WE schools and how they count numbers
so if a school has a WE club with 5 members and they participate in a school assembly where they say launch a bake sale to raise money, the number of kids “influenced or participating” is not 5. It is all the kids in the school. Because they will have been at the assembly

huh? That is how they get their numbers on the web site of 3 million students participating.........

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Some sage said the next Ein Stein will come out of Africa ... a dark literary device?

One is Jaerd!

Lastpointe

Reaction score
This feels like the death knell for WE and it’s arms of octopus entities. Everyone seems to be verbalizing previous concerns

the brothers describe themselves as entrepreneurs, which isn’t the same as people who support charities

and both the brothers and Trudeau has described them in the past as friends. No longer. Now they are just people he knows. Such a hard knock fro friend to person I know. Lol
so many odd articles are now out there About everything from schools, to Africa to who knowswhat

and is this charity mainly about pep rally’s for kids? And gets millions to put them on. Schools have been built. Apparently but that is also a bit circumspect

but as far as the government.
I don’t believe that Trudeau first learned about this on May 8. He is doing a lot of civil service blaming in his statements. But because he has said this to a committee I do believe there is no text or email trail to discover But to believe in his top down,PMo led government, that a billion dollar program occurred that was all a big surprise to him?? Give me a break

he will obviously get censored by the ethics commissioner. And pay a fine. Gee. Tough. And perhaps Morneau will be fired. He definitely has even more conflict issues with both daughters involved and taking free trips which is expressly against the law

all of this is a very sad event. Students have access to support. If they wanted to give them more they could have included them in the CERB initiative. So why not. Why do this! Despite what the PMO says lit feels like a hand out to a favored charity. At a time when we all know that charities are suffering

no answers will be forthcoming The PMO has closed ranks. Justin is not for open and transparent government when it is his government under scrutiny. Don’t blame him. People will move on. He can hope that his charm will get him another election.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
But despite my talking to myself here I see they have lost a lot of support over this. Now more or less neck and neck with a conservative party with no leader
are the people in this group so enamored Of Trudeau that they hate to criticize him? It certinly feels that way

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Power of all sorts corrupts ... even charity as boosted by scripture ... some humility prerequisite ... but power blinds ... clouds the limpid item!

The Lost Arcane ... ANIS?

Waterfall

Reaction score
But despite my talking to myself here I see they have lost a lot of support over this. Now more or less neck and neck with a conservative party with no leader
are the people in this group so enamored Of Trudeau that they hate to criticize him? It certinly feels that way
Speaking for myself Lastpointe, I have no interest in dividing the people of this country into two camps....those for Trudeau and those against. You said it yourself, the conservative party has no.... leader.....that's a major consideration right there. I think the people of this country are weary from the pandemic and we all seem to know it's no where near to being over. We're all holding our breath how the restrictions of Covid being lifted will go....will we get a surge again or not. (in my mind probably will)
Trudeau almost gave away $900 million dollars without accountability.....it was stopped before it happened. He's apologized and some have latched onto the idea, well it's his third time.....it is, BUT in some way I have to say it is allowing the government to come down to the level of the people it serves. It's a real reminder to those in power that they work for us, were elected by us and they are answerable to the people of this country. I want to believe the opposition is doing it's due diligence by keeping the current government in check for the benefit of the people and not the benefit of winning the next election...but I'm not so sure, so there's that.
After this inquiry is over, let's all learn from it and make sure the government has all it's checks and balances in place. Ideally I would like to see the three major parties working towards a more cohesive mandate that governs this country with mutual respect with the goal of what's best for the people and that would include, not taking the failures as a cause to be "greater than" the current party in power or demanding the resignation of the PM, but instead seeing a need to step up to the call of helping. Trudeau obviously needs better advisors from those in the know about the laws in place for the government.....what's legal and what's not. And then I suppose he should check that for himself to verify it and not just being led by the nose by others as if it's an unverifiable truth.
So no, I don't think Trudeau is perfect but I don't think anyone is. What I do like about him, is that he is willing to admit his mistakes and fix it...immediately....and yes probably because he has to.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Speaking for myself Lastpointe, I have no interest in dividing the people of this country into two camps....those for Trudeau and those against. You said it yourself, the conservative party has no.... leader.....that's a major consideration right there. I think the people of this country are weary from the pandemic and we all seem to know it's no where near to being over. We're all holding our breath how the restrictions of Covid being lifted will go....will we get a surge again or not. (in my mind probably will)
Trudeau almost gave away $900 million dollars without accountability.....it was stopped before it happened. He's apologized and some have latched onto the idea, well it's his third time.....it is, BUT in some way I have to say it is allowing the government to come down to the level of the people it serves. It's a real reminder to those in power that they work for us, were elected by us and they are answerable to the people of this country. I want to believe the opposition is doing it's due diligence by keeping the current government in check for the benefit of the people and not the benefit of winning the next election...but I'm not so sure, so there's that.
After this inquiry is over, let's all learn from it and make sure the government has all it's checks and balances in place. Ideally I would like to see the three major parties working towards a more cohesive mandate that governs this country with mutual respect with the goal of what's best for the people and that would include, not taking the failures as a cause to be "greater than" the current party in power or demanding the resignation of the PM, but instead seeing a need to step up to the call of helping. Trudeau obviously needs better advisors from those in the know about the laws in place for the government.....what's legal and what's not. And then I suppose he should check that for himself to verify it and not just being led by the nose by others as if it's an unverifiable truth.
So no, I don't think Trudeau is perfect but I don't think anyone is. What I do like about him, is that he is willing to admit his mistakes and fix it...immediately....and yes probably because he has to.
Where is the unity when the great goal of extremists is to throw more mud at the other end of the measure than the other ... thus devine*ass*hun ... in the gap a sense of means? Isn't there a mountain gap named after grandfather?

Lastpointe

Reaction score
I agree waterfall that we need government to work together. But political parties are always prepping for the next election.

trudeau Definitely needs a babysitter on his staff. Someone who says no to his bad ideas

in this case he says he knew it would look bad so he asked them to double check it. They certainly didn’t look too far if that is the case. Is that because everyone knew it was his favorite group?
but then he still discussed and voted for it. So in two weeks of thinking it over he decided it wasn’t such a bad idea? What due dilegence did he do. Ask his mother and brother how involved they are? Seems like no he didnt

and I think the comment from Ms Wernick way back at the beginning. Someone from the finance office asked them to get in touch with WE. And she did because she knew them. And that a proposal was circulating. How is that ministers are reading proposals from a group that isn’t a registered lobbyist

and who asked her to get in touch And who told that person to ask her

And who told WE to start working on it

jimkenney12

Reaction score
While the fallout from the WE fiasco is a distraction from what needs to be done, the attention to WE allowed a close examination of what it does. Hannah who started the Ladybug Foundation when she was 9 years old wrapped it up two or three years ago as she completed her university degree and decided she needed to do something different. I believe it is time for WE to be wrapped up to provide space for something new. Craig and Mark need to find something new for themselves to do, beginning with intense reflection on the difference they want to make with their lives.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Something new ... what a concept in the edifice?

One could be stoned for that ...

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned already. There are 2 charity aspects to the WE umbrella
WE Charity & WE Charity Foundation.
This money was going to WE Charity Foundation, which has a budget of around 150000, little staff and has been around for about a year (or was it less than a year).
Source - a podcast Chemguy had on during our drive this weekend. I think As It Happens, there's multiple episodes which cover WE.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
And now I read that in fact the government gave 900 million dollars not to WE charity but to WE charity Foundation. Which was created two years ago to hold the $45 million in real estate assets

ok seriously

this is one very convoluted “charity”. They pop into Africa to do “good “ works with rich North Americans. They own a tremendous amount of real estate. Oddly one of the Keilburgs parents is in real estate. Or perhaps that isn’t odd??

the finance minister is in the ropes. For accepting a $41,000 gift vacation. Honestly, did they not learn from the Aga Khan fiasco?

and apparently the finance minister, who is cutting a cheque for $900 million didn’t know it was going to the sketchy foundation?

what is this? Kick back? Illegal ? Liberal corruption? Or is it better to think it is ineptitude??? Do you want our government to be so inept and casual and careless with $900 million?

and Calls for Morneau to resign. Always things like this call for resignations. But this is not the first time our finance minister is pretty casual with money. His own, ours, his gifts
and now, with so much debt run up over the COVID emergency we are having a government crisis. Of their own making

who will get thrown under the bus. I bet Baddash. But maybe Morneau. We know it won’t be our boy Justin don’t we
Should have searched first. Glad you caught the Foundation aspect earlier.
There are just so many layers to all of this.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
This WE Charity Foundation seems to be created to be a holding company for real estate. The entire thing Is weird

the idea of these kids doing volunteer work , which seemed to be all made up jobs. Creating exercise videos for seniors? Really. check out You Tube

certainly the idea, of wealthy North Americans arriving to ”fix” some place is a very outdated idea. And when you look at the activities for these trips they sound like a lovely vacation in say Kenya, with a little bit of “volunteering “ thrown in. Honestly , just what some area needs is a group of North American teens, getting a resume building experience helping build a school. If they were contr@ctors, then they would be helpful

one year, about twenty years ago, my brother in law, who was a builder, went to Equador I think with a group of men. They lived in a small town and built chicken coops. They taught the men how to build them, made sure the plans were explained, provided the chickens. Built around twenty I think but mainly taught other people how to build and care for the chickens.
though even that idea, now, would be more useful with a lot of money for supplies and three guys to instruct the group

one thing I remember is that one guy fell off the roof of a school they were helping repair and was really seriously injured. Was tricked down the mountain to a town. When they all left this one guys remained behind in hospital with one of the other men

Lastpointe

Reaction score
article in National Post today, haven’t checked other papers yet, that said a Halifax mission , thrift store and food bank has acquired nine student volunteers. Got them the first week the program was announced. Filled out all the required forms, And now? Who is going to pay these kids

and yet both Trudeau and Chagger assistant say no students were hired. Looks like a little issue here. With WE dropping out after two weeks, both students and groups had already started. And now the students want the promised money

gotta love Charlie Angus. He is like a dog with a bone in this issue.
students signed up. A few charities hired them. They want their money

and these kids are filling a real role In the charity sector.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
article in National Post today, haven’t checked other papers yet, that said a Halifax mission , thrift store and food bank has acquired nine student volunteers. Got them the first week the program was announced. Filled out all the required forms, And now? Who is going to pay these kids

and yet both Trudeau and Chagger assistant say no students were hired. Looks like a little issue here. With WE dropping out after two weeks, both students and groups had already started. And now the students want the promised money

And some say there is no chaos and anarchy!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score

I heard of that. Not sure if those moneys are the actual WE moneys, because have you ever heard that the government announces something and the paperwork is available the week after?

Lastpointe

Reaction score
The odd thing is that WE was working on it as of May 8. Before approval from cabinet. And it sounds like from the story that the web site was up and running and emails were giving approval. Just another one of the odd things about the whole story

in the meantime, some students started the volunteer Work expecting compensation

a letter to the editor in the globe today from a previous cancer society chair. Kielburges resign Disband WE. audit the books. Sell the assets. Divide up the proceeds to worthy charities

good advice

Reaction score
You know what? Maybe Trudeau was smart to invest in WE, and the backlash is part of a right wing reaction to what’s happening. The far right doesn’t even seem interested in saving the world and wants to limit global solutions young people can lead, rather than encourage them.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
You must be reading pretty different news than me. I read the globe, the star, the National and while they all have slightly different takes, not even the Star, a very pro Trudeau paper thinks this was ok