Unusual Baby Names

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Bambi sounds ok for a baby, less so for a kid. Better leaving it as a nickname IMO.

i guess why people would choose culturally-conservative baby names is that parents are afraid that their children will be beaten to a pulp (verbally, physically)?

Friends who teach school tell me that today's children are so used to what we adults consider 'weird' names, that they don't react to them. Our local schools don't have many kids with the names that filled my classrooms - the Davids, Michaels, Peters and Marys, Jeans and Brendas seem to have gone the way of the Dodo. The schools have plenty of Apples, Storms, Pitas, and names created from the letters of the parental names. Personally, I find it far more difficult to call a child by name if I have to first remember what the name is - Peter or Lisa is easier to recover from my memory bank!

Kay, all the kids I know have fairly typical names. Different than the common names when I was growing up, but still typical names. Mateo, Mia, Maya, Caden (although I think 1 is spelled differently), Grace. I'm not in a school though.
Our neighbourhood school currently has 11 grade 1 classes with 35 students, so there's many kids around, and I haven't heard any parents shouting out anything unusual, and I didn't meet and Storms or Apples at our block party.

I love the name 'Comfort' but have never known anybody by that name.

My kids and grandkids have fairly ordinary names - with ordinary spellings.

I sometimes wonder about boys growing up with names that I usually think of as girls names. Like - Beverly, Sharon, Shirley, Robin, Kimberley, Chris, or the famous song about a boy named Sue. Do they wish their parents had chosen something more masculine?

I also feel sorry for kids who were given names that are usually considered nicknames. Like - Perry, Larry, Sandy, Teddy. Somehow I can't see those names spelled out on the door of the CEO.

In my generation, Chris is a very common boys name, shortened from Christopher. I'm sure it would have been in the top 4 names for boys - Matt/Matthew, Mike/Michael, Dave/David, and Chris/Christopher for the year I was born. Of the 4, 3 are usually shortened the majority of the time. David seems to be the exception, but I still know quite a few Daves.

ETA - I was right, those were the top 4. Christopher comes in 2nd. Michael, Christopher, Matthew, David

Last edited:
David does not seem to as common today as in my day. When I was in school, there were almost always three of us in every class. My son only knows one and he's a Chinese immigrant so was not called David originally, that's just the name he uses in English.

Ashlyn/Ashley seem to be all the rage in his age group (teens) and I don't recall ever knowing anyone by that name. Josh/Joshua seems to be another one that has caught on again with his generation.

I'll confess to giving Little M an unusual name (which I will not reveal for privacy reasons) but I plead extenuating circumstances: it transliterates well into Chinese characters so we did not need to come up with a separate Chinese name.

Most Ashleys I know today are girls, but then there was Ashley Wilkes (Gone With The Wind) from years ago.

I wonder what method people use to decide whether a name is male or female? To me Claire is female - but I know a guy called Claire. Chris can be either. I know girls and boys called Ashley (but I don't like the name at all). My own kids and grandkids have ordinary names spelled in the generally acceptable way except one step-grand who has a name that (to me) belongs to the other gender.

Back