Transgenderism ..... ask your questions!

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

RitaTG

I have started this thread to provide a place to ask your questions regarding transgenderism.
Ask away .... this will be a safe place to do it....
I will consider all questions to be asked in good faith and I shall reply in kind.....
This is an important issue ..... so many are hidden .... and many sit in the pews of our churches.
Thank you for wanting to learn......

Thank you for starting this thread Rita.

One thing that I've wondered about is the relationship between being transgender and being gay or lesbian.
Suppose someone was born with female genitals, but identifies as male. Will he be sexually attracted to men or women?

Thank for the first question Seeler :)
Being gay/lesbian/heterosexual is sexual orientation ..... who you are attracted to.
Gender identity is the internal sense of being male/female/ or something in between ..... internal sense of being.
Sexual orientation and gender identity are not related at all.
Who a trans person is attracted to before transitioning genders tends to stay the same afterwards.
Once again .... the old school gender binary makes the language unworkable...
First ... let us consider an intersexed person (both sets of genitals) ..... how does one label their sexual orientation accurately?
And for myself ...... I self identitfy as a woman ...... and I am married to a woman....
Now how would one label my sexual orientation? ..... based on plumbing? .... or based on heart???
The language is inadequate and does not work.
By the way ...... many trans persons struggle with the notions of how to label themselves or even who they are expected to be attracted to once they present as a gender other than their plumbing would suggest.
Short answer ..... sexual orientation and gender identity are in no way related concepts....
The language to describe the complexity does not yet exist.
Thank you for asking the question :)

Jon .... thank you ... a most excellent question :)
Simple answer ....... just treat us according to the gender we present!
And please ..... by far .... my most important label is my name....
And the less I am referred to as trans the better I feel ..... I am a woman and that is all I the label I strive for.
When talking with others and the subject comes up ..... tell them about the personal experience you have with a trans person.
You need not be an expert ..... just affirm we are real ..... and we are worth knowing ... just like anyone else :)
Hugs
Rita

No question at the moment, Rita. Just want to pop in and point out that I think you're on fire lately, and what you're doing is the sort of thing that makes this place worth the effort.

Thank you chansen ...... I am really trying to live what I believe in good ways ....
Hugs
Rita

Thank you Rita. The young girl who said she knew at 4 years what gender she was. Is this possible, do you think?

Yes indeed crazyheart ..... yes indeed .....
The younger a child is that makes such a strong persistent statement .... the more important it is to listen to them.
This is not just a passing fantasy ..... their very well being is at stake.
Research has show that the child must be taken seriously and that a very careful path to work things out is required.
Neutral ...... neither affirm nor dissuade either gender expression ..... and seek qualified professional help.
This is not about the parents, other family, neighbours, friends, coworkers etc ...... this is about the child.
Yes indeed ..... children very often know that young.

When I read the terms "transitioned male" or "transitioned female", does that refer to the gender the trans person was born with or the gender that they feel? Reading it in the past tense like that makes me think that it's the former, but I'm sure that these people would prefer to be referred to as their gender post-transition.

Do you think that changes to alter one's sex would be seen as less important if society didn't have a cis-gendered bias?

Is cis-gendered the right term, or is it cis-gender?

How can I best fit an acceptance of transgenderism into my theology of believing in a God who is the Creator of all life and who doesn't make mistakes?

Moderators - just a suggestion - this thread is excellent. How about moving it into the Special Speaker forum (or whatever it's called like that).

Thanks Rita for starting this thread. I don't have any questions just now. I am looking forward to the discussion and to the answers for the current questions. I agree with chansen, you are part of what makes this place worthwhile.

How can I best fit an acceptance of transgenderism into my theology of believing in a God who is the Creator of all life and who doesn't make mistakes?
I don't want to compare someone who is transgender to having a disease but
How do hereditary diseases fit into your theology?

But this is not a mistake Jae.

It's possible that "mistake" is not the word that I want to use crazyheart, though I don't feel I have a better one. Basically, what I guess I'm asking is why a God of perfection would create a female in a male's body, or a male in a female's body. Where is the logic in that?

I don't want to compare someone who is transgender to having a disease but
How do hereditary diseases fit into your theology?

I feel they are a consequence of the fall of humanity in Eden. Are you suggesting that transgenderism (is that the correct word?) may be the same?

I feel they are a consequence of the fall of humanity in Eden. Are you suggesting that transgenderism (is that the correct word?) may be the same?
If it is going to be viewed as something wrong or abnormal then I think it could be viewed in the same way that a medical abnormality is viewed. That's a big if though.

Back