Social Distancing - any movies, podcasts, music, books, games etc you'd recommend?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Oh, and our Kanopy includes open (ie. not included in the limit) access to The Great Courses.

I have started availing myself of this. They have a 24 class course on Arthurian literature, a favorite subject of mine at one time, that I started watching today. The prof teaches medieval literature, including the Arthur cycle, at Purdue and has been editor of the journal Arthuriana, the leading academic journal in the field. She starts off with the history that underlies the legends and the thorny historical question of whether there really was an Arthur. The answer, in her evaluation of the evidence, is that there was but we can't be sure if his name was Arthur or that got attached later.

Duolingo. I'm brushing up my ancient high school french. Never used, although my quebecois brother in law admires my accent when I attempt. Also decided I'd start to learn German. Quite a logical language when you understand the rules.

Duolingo. I'm brushing up my ancient high school french. Never used, although my quebecois brother in law admires my accent when I attempt. Also decided I'd start to learn German. Quite a logical language when you understand the rules.
German - you'll be able to practice with Mrs.Anteater!

We've watched Hillary, Self Made and The English Game recently. I enjoyed them all. We've watched other things too. If I remember their titles I'll share that.

I saw a notice today on fb that the Banff Mtn Film Festival has published a document which outlines their films & gives vimeo links for each. This is a great event that 'goes on the road' to many cities once the main festival is over. We have gone to it several times, and had tix for this past Sunday with our son & his gf - to celebrate my husband's birthday. But alas, it was cancelled. So it was great news to see this today! We will watch from home now - a few at a time. They are usually INCREDIBLE documentaries about a whole variety of outdoor adventures - some gentle, some extreme, lots in between.

Update - seems that link I saw this morning is no longer there - but as I recall, all the videos were listed on vimeo - so I guess if you look at the Banff Mtn Film Festival site you can see the listing of films & then just search them individually on vimeo.

I saw a movie on Netflix called "The Platform".
Interesting microcosm statement on how our world works and what will finally save us.

Warning: there is some gore, because well, humans aren't always good at sharing food are they?

I just learned there arw full Broadway shows online. YouTube is one spot to find them. We watched Cats last night. I was pleased to find the YouTube and Sirius apps for my Roku too. :)

German - you'll be able to practice with Mrs.Anteater!

LOL. Very early stages yet, and it doesn't appear that I'm 'getting' the tenses very easily...I started this because a good friend of mine was supposed to be going to Germany this summer with her grandson to compete in a "tiny trucks" event; I thought if I was practising, we could practice on each other, but we're sorta separated by this virus right now...

@BetteTheRed - you could at least learn some pertinent commands, insults & swear words in German - to use at work on unsuspecting WASPS in your line who might be misbehaving! I grew up in Kitchener (originally called Berlin) and German was the predominant second language. Swearing in German is pretty fierce sounding! Or so I recall :rolleyes:

A couple of nights ago we watched the 2019 movie "Dark Waters" - based on a true story I vaguely remember from long ago - about the 'miracle' of non-stick Teflon & the chemicals therein & the community affected by its manufacture - with the lawyer who spent about 15 years of his life bringing Dupont to answer for it. We thought it was well cast & well made, if disturbing - as it should be.

A couple of nights ago we watched the 2019 movie "Dark Waters" - based on a true story I vaguely remember from long ago - about the 'miracle' of non-stick Teflon & the chemicals therein & the community affected by its manufacture - with the lawyer who spent about 15 years of his life bringing Dupont to answer for it. We thought it was well cast & well made, if disturbing - as it should be.

Imagine the teflon don ... and their continuance in high places ... the elite cannot tolerate thee unknown of God's realm. I've just been eliminated for speaking of unknowns and Koans ... an interesting concept for far east of here and now! Do authoritarian types despise unknowns, unseen essences ... as they hide their fears?

This is a cute video a father posted about his 3 year old superhero daughter fighting Coronavirus:

Video is halfway down article.

Bury your soul in a book and learn of what has passed over ... powers despise enlightened common phoqah ...

In short the uninformed are screwed ... all in the satyr!

Imagine panic withing the pole Ice force ... a meltdown?

W Churchill even imagined and iceburg aircraft carrier ... alien conceptions about kohl forces ...

I will be watching this tonite ...

Started watching the series "Mrs. America" - Kate Blanchett in the lead as Phyllis Schlafley who mounted resistance to ratification of the ERA in the US in the 1970s. Many will recognize the roles of feminists Bella Abzug, Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan amongst others.

Also watching the serialized version of Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" which is excellent.

And finished the short series "Unorthodox" - also very well done & interesting.

At the moment tho, I'm preoccupied with the horrid racist incidents surfacing in the US; trying to learn, reflect, change.

Wish I still had my miniature portable Donkey Kong arcade game. Such an enriching experience! It wasn't. I'm kidding! We just played it non stop until it was time to change the batteries again and it was something to do, no babysitter required.

Last edited:
Back