Social Distancing - any movies, podcasts, music, books, games etc you'd recommend?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Hey there - just wondering if y'all are watching, reading, listening more - have you discovered anything you'd like to suggest to the rest of us?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
We watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" the other night - great comedy out of NZ from director Taika Waititi. Well cast, interesting characters, adventure, growth, change ... we enjoyed it a lot. It's on Hoopla if your library gives you access to that.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
We watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" the other night - great comedy out of NZ from director Taika Waititi. Well cast, interesting characters, adventure, growth, change ... we enjoyed it a lot. It's on Hoopla if your library gives you access to that.
And Kanopy, too, I think. Waititi is a brilliant, brilliant man. I have not seen this yet but his vampire spoof What We Do In the Shadows is amazing. Even ended up getting picked up by Amazon as a series (though I forget how involved Waititi is with the series). I have had Wilderpeople on my radar for a long time but have not got to it.

I will point out that if your library has Kanopy, they have a good set of the Criterion collection. This is a series of remastered, cleaned-up editions of classics, mostly subtitled foreign movies (Kurosawa, Bergman, etc.). It's a good way to see what all the fuss is about with some of these much discussed, but not often seen, movies. My library gives us 4 videos a month.

Oh, and our Kanopy includes open (ie. not included in the limit) access to The Great Courses. These are university-grade courses and as well as some more general interest material (e.g. travel videos done in cooperation with National Geographic) taught by real, honest-to-God profs. In the theology and Bible Studies area, I know there's stuff in there by Bart Ehrmann and Amy-Jill Levine. Most are 24 half hour lectures so can fill a fair bit of time. So if your library has Kanopy, check to see if they have this deal.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I just watched Locke and Key on Netflix. It is probably a YA series about a family that moves into a family mansion. Of course all manner of strange things happen. It's weird but kind of fun.

We also watched Professor Marsten and the Wonder Women last night. It's about the man who wrote Wonder Woman. Interesting.

Waterfall

Reaction score
This winter I vegged out on "the Office", the American version, and enjoyed it. Then I switched over to Madmen.....interesting enough to kill some time.

I did watch the movie Ice Palace the other day on Netflix. I enjoyed it, even if it wasn't Oscar caliber but Woody Harrelson as the Dad was quite good. Dysfunctional transient family that moves a lot and survives "off the grid" as in dumpster diving etc..... and later the kids looking back on their life as grown up survivors.

If you want a feel good true story movie "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" (again on Netflix) was quite enjoyable.

Waterfall

Reaction score
I know there's stuff in there by Bart Ehrmann and Amy-Jill Levine. Most are 24 half hour lectures so can fill a fair bit of time. So if your library has Kanopy, check to see if they have this deal.
I've been watching quite a bit of Bart on Youtube lately and really enjoyed his lecture on suffering. Apparently this is the very reason he became an Atheist (Agnostic) because he could never reconcile a God that let's people suffer.

He also has a new book coming out at the end of March on "Heaven and Hell" which I hope to read soon.

Northwind

Reaction score
I might even get to the end of Orange is the New Black...
I may need to watch that again and finish the series. I could also sign up for Amazon and have a Downton Abby binge....

Waterfall

Reaction score
This winter I vegged out on "the Office", the American version, and enjoyed it. Then I switched over to Madmen.....interesting enough to kill some time.

I did watch the movie Ice Palace the other day on Netflix. I enjoyed it, even if it wasn't Oscar caliber but Woody Harrelson as the Dad was quite good. Dysfunctional transient family that moves a lot and survives "off the grid" as in dumpster diving etc..... and later the kids looking back on their life as grown up survivors.

If you want a feel good true story movie "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" (again on Netflix) was quite enjoyable.
Sorry the movie wasn't Ice Castle it was "The Glass Castle" with Woody Harrelson.....

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Special Blood is something I've been meaning to see, I can get access through my library. I have been struggling with them for the past month to get a card though Ie. mid Feb before any of this stuff was really happening.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
TED talks are interesting little explorations - I sometimes put them on to listen when I'm doing a jigsaw. Most recently I've been listening to some about the hidden rules of poverty - interesting to ponder.

revjohn

Reaction score
If you watch both of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies back to back you should be able to come out of isolation before the last set of credits roll. ;)

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I've been watching the new CBC series "Transplant" - of a Syrian refugee physician now in Canada - I've liked the couple of episodes that have screened so far.

Northwind

Reaction score
I've been watching the new CBC series "Transplant" - of a Syrian refugee physician now in Canada - I've liked the couple of episodes that have screened so far.
I've been watching that show too. It's very good.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Which reminds me: There's some good stuff lurking in CBC's Gem app. I have it on my phone and throw it to my TV with Chromecast but it may be available for things like Roku and Apple set top boxes, too. Not sure because I've never had to check. Free level has a lot of their popular shows, documentaries, etc. along with some foreign movies and shows they have rights to. Also lets you stream a lot of local CBC content. Paid sub allows you to stream CBC News Network (the former Newsworld) live along with some other perks.

The interface is an improvement on their older apps, BTW, but still not stellar.

Northwind

Reaction score
I haven't found Gem or CBC on my Roku. Global is the only Canadian network I've found. I'm still trying to figure out how to comcast from my Samsung to the TV, which isn't a smart TV. I do have Roku and the roku cast app.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Podcast - Cool Mules
Somehow I missed out (or maybe came across it and paid no attention to) the drug transporting by people at Vice.

Ritafee

IAMWHATIAM
Reaction score
I did watch the movie Ice (Castle)Palace the other day on Netflix. I enjoyed it, even if it wasn't Oscar caliber but Woody Harrelson as the Dad was quite good. Dysfunctional transient family that moves a lot and survives "off the grid" as in dumpster diving etc..... and later the kids looking back on their life as grown up survivors.
Having watched the movie already ... your post prompted to me to find out more ... and this is what I found: