Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

It's grey and dreary here with blue sky beginning to emerge. It's anyone's guess how the day will progress.

I just came back from a walk with Baela and a friend. We were on an off-leash path and other dogs came by. They all had a great romp. It's excellent therapy to watch dogs play, even if it results in a dirty wet dog.

We have determined that our dog is the "nosy neighbour". He sits in the sun room, or if outside on the hill, watching everything go by. He is quite focused and will move to a new position if his view is blocked as someone walks down the road.

We have determined that our dog is the "nosy neighbour". He sits in the sun room, or if outside on the hill, watching everything go by. He is quite focused and will move to a new position if his view is blocked as someone walks down the road.
Our beagle was like that, too. If he was in the living room, he ran to the window every time someone walked by unless he was sleeping. Probably then gossiped about them to their dogs or something. :dog:

I dunno about spaniels, but it's definitely a hound thing. Lucy is very loudly interactive in her environment. She's part of a barking club that often starts with her, or Zeus, the GSD across the road, then Pixie the sheltie adjacent to Zeus joins in, then little Steeler the noisy Shih Tzu next door.

Unfortunately, you can't control who gets what kind of dog, and sometimes people buy the craziest houses, like adjacent to a catwalk that leads to a public school. There are people with dogs who live on both sides of that catwalk, and at least one of them moved in with dogs. Those dogs are lunatic barkers every time the school bell rings. Young kids tease dogs, and just the jerkiness/speed of their movements gets the dogs wound up regardless.

In my defense, Lucy was kijiji-described to me as a "small collie cross". Now, I haven't done a DNA analysis, but if you looked at a foxhound, and a husky, and crossed them, you'd get the looks and the behaviours of Lucy. For some reason, hounds seem to find me. I'm getting concerned about ending up with a doxie in later life. Two hound-y girlfriends have done so, and I don't want it to be inevitable.

Unfortunately, you can't control who gets what kind of dog, and sometimes people buy the craziest houses, like adjacent to a catwalk that leads to a public school. There are people with dogs who live on both sides of that catwalk, and at least one of them moved in with dogs. Those dogs are lunatic barkers every time the school bell rings. Young kids tease dogs, and just the jerkiness/speed of their movements gets the dogs wound up regardless.
What? There's a catwalk leading to a school? Isn't that a huge liability?

We call "catwalks", paved areas, not plowed in the winter, where people can access a schoolyard, cut between blocks, etc. There's a TON of them in Barrie; I don't really remember such a thing in Toronto, and in England, cutting across places to get to places is a very common activity, so there isn't even a word for it, although "footpath" might cover much of it.

There's a sign at the entrance to the schoolyard that says "authorized access only", and the only general rule, enforced by by-law if necessary, I guess, is "no access to school property while kids are in the school".

I call them walkways, usually. The ones around the perimeter of some newer shopping centre parking lots, and through them - I tend to subconsciously call sidewalks - I think of them that way -because the lanes that cars drive on around the lot are like roads, and they have crosswalks at intersections, in front of doors of buildings.

A footpath usually is through some greenery or trees, like in a park, or a well walked on path through foliage and driftwood to the beach. Or some well placed cobblestones or gravel or woodchips, through parts of someone's landscaped garden.

Catwalk, I only really know of as the "runway" that models walk down in fashion shows. Lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, walkways, paths are the terms used here. There's a lot in this community (there's a huge field that I think has at least 3 going to it and then at the field they just stop, not paths on the field, weird, but in the future there will likely be more to it).
Catwalks I picture something that looks sorta like a fire escape although most horizontal rather than vertical - above the ground.

We call "catwalks", paved areas, not plowed in the winter, where people can access a schoolyard, cut between blocks, etc. There's a TON of them in Barrie; I don't really remember such a thing in Toronto, and in England, cutting across places to get to places is a very common activity, so there isn't even a word for it, although "footpath" might cover much of it.
Footpath sounds typical to me, along with short cut.

But these are "formal" in that the city has "side-walked them", and posted "not maintained in the winter" signs. So glad to hear, P3, that it's not completely a Barrie dialect.

Good morning, all! Happy weekend! As we consider dogs barking and cats walking, let us gather in spirit in the comfort of the Coffee Cart, where the hot beverage of your choosing is ready for you.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c]_]

Welcome to the site for editing any thought you might have ... the fundamentally stone-SET will not budge in their wants ... whatever!

Thus aid some of us are probably demon-IHC and thus obscured by alien intent! No on person knows ... until detente ... a variation of Dante in his debate with Cosmo's Logic ... a far tensor in Einstein's Theory of God (everything sacred, hidden) as rejected by clerics ... super men?

Expect some digging's ... China Syndrome that is related to Phoenix set free ... here a pot or hole theory may retain! ---O'Dan! can't you see?

Back