Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

If your parents bought prime rib for a regular roast they were splurging. Pricey cut even in the old days

but how nice you had Yorkshire puddings. We called them popovers as a kid and Yorkshire puddings as a big pot that you cut ip

however it’s really loveky

reminds me that next visit with kids must cook a roast and make popovers.
short story. We were a family of six. Everyone got two popovers. My sister married. First dinner my dad tried to give my brother in law two. We three siblings were quick to point out that sis needed to share her two. Not get extras.
Yeah, my mom really enjoyed it. It's funny she tends to think I like it now, we were at a restaurant within the last few years and she kept questioning my decision to order instead of going with the buffet even though 1) my dislike of prime rib 2) the amount of stuff I was allergic to in the buffet. Just one of those things if I like it, everyone else must too.
I did stop complaining about it when people finally just let me cut off the fat before the gravy was put on. Not just the outer bit, but the strips that ran through as well. We did a fair bit family style or buffet style, but my mom preferred to keep the gravy on the stove and she used to put it on right after our plates were filled.

On another topic. This is my before photo. Never done this by myself. We'll see how it goes. If I have trouble cutting finely, I bought some things from the dollar store to decorate it on the surface.

image.jpeg

Oh, damn, wish I could fly across country!

I love carving pumpkins, but it's not as much fun solo.

I carved pairs and trios of pumpkins for years. With themes. One year it was three pumpkins: Occupy, Wall, St. Another year, 2001, it was just the Canadian and U.S. flags, one each pumpkin.

Kids are gone, no partner to be interested. It will be dark and quiet this year.

Ok, well the carving didn't go too well. I need help with the orange one. I had in mind to make candle holders/ plant pots with twinkly lights inside - inspired by Turkish ottoman poufs from playing with my interior design app. Those and the middle eastern punched out metal lantern inspired. So I got little gold nails and antique upholstery studs, gold glitter paint, used some rose gold wash out hairspray - bunch of little knick knacks. image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg
You can't see the holes I poked very well. I need a brighter candle or some twinkle lights inside. The second image is a "charcoal" digital rendition. You can see the light coming through the holes in that.

It was a good try. I'm going to need help with the orange pne. I might just leave it as a pumpkin.

Last edited:
Oh, damn, wish I could fly across country!

I love carving pumpkins, but it's not as much fun solo.

I carved pairs and trios of pumpkins for years. With themes. One year it was three pumpkins: Occupy, Wall, St. Another year, 2001, it was just the Canadian and U.S. flags, one each pumpkin.

Kids are gone, no partner to be interested. It will be dark and quiet this year.
I wish you could help me. With the carving tools came some stencils. I don't like the ugly scary ones but there's one that's the word "Wicked!" in a kind of gothic cursive font (something like that) that I think is fun. I, in the 18 yr old part of my brain, think of it more like "Wicked, dude!" - as in "cool!"- than wicked/ evil.

If I had really good carving skills I'd want to make a stage-coach.

I need to get a carving set I think, although not sure if it would help me a lot or not. I tried carving pumpkins by myself one year. I got the top off of one. Chemguy took over when he got in.
I've been heavily involved many times, but someone else always did the cutting I guess.
I have also been told I'm not allowed to cook spaghetti squash on my own, that goes back years. Chemguy saw me trying to poke holes in it before sticking it in the oven.
When strength is needed my knife skills suck.

I expect kimmo part of your problem is the orange carving set. They really are too flimsy. At least the set I bought once were

I was better to use a small paring style knife And go slowly. One push in, pull out. And again

we used stencils for several years. Hubby enjoyed it, but very slow work to do such tiny cuts

i should buy a pumpkin, I do love the seeds

I expect kimmo part of your problem is the orange carving set. They really are too flimsy. At least the set I bought once were

I was better to use a small paring style knife And go slowly. One push in, pull out. And again

we used stencils for several years. Hubby enjoyed it, but very slow work to do such tiny cuts

i should buy a pumpkin, I do love the seeds
I used a knife slightly bigger than a paring knife to cut off the top. Brand new, just given to me today. I even had a hard time with that. I covered the jagged edges with the rivets. The tools I only used to punch holes and scoop the glop out. Was thinking of saving the seeds to roast (can you eat the seeds and insides of a white pumpkin or are they ornamental?) - but couldn't bother by the time I had to clean everything up. I made a big mess, for a little project.

Last edited:
I have never carved a white pumpkin but you Can actually eat the seeds of all squashes

sorry your project was tough. It is a messy job for sure.

I need to get a carving set I think, although not sure if it would help me a lot or not. I tried carving pumpkins by myself one year. I got the top off of one. Chemguy took over when he got in.
I've been heavily involved many times, but someone else always did the cutting I guess.
I have also been told I'm not allowed to cook spaghetti squash on my own, that goes back years. Chemguy saw me trying to poke holes in it before sticking it in the oven.
When strength is needed my knife skills suck.
I understand. For me it's just awkward to do. Fine motor skills for some things are difficult, other things I seem to be okay with. Not good at knife skills. Though I didn't really have any problems pushing all those nails and pins in - different focus. Can't screw that up too much, either. If I put a nail or tack in the wrong spot or too out of place I could easily fix it. Also less dangerous so I'm less nervous (didn't need a hammer, I just pushed the nails in. They're short ones.) oh and that carving set is a cheap one but the hole punch tool worked alright and the blades were like thin saw blades - I cut grooves for the "leaves" with them - otherwise they are pretty flimsy. The scooper/ scraper was helpful too. It fit into the small pumpkin.

Last edited:
As we take a short break from pumpkin carving, let us imbibe warming beverages. I do remember years ago trying to use a carving kit like that on a pumpkin. Long story short, the pumpkin outlasted the kit.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

We used to have such a thing as a "grapefruit knife". I remember it being used to carve pumpkins too. I haven't done it in some time. When my kid was small, we once bought a pumpkin from a rude grumpy guy and carved it later to look like him (kinda).

Just getting caught up now. Sorry about your dog, Northwind. I have an old dog who has had cancer, and probably will get it again. It's tough. Mendella...pay attention to the pain. I accepted it for years, and now I am walking with a cane or walker, and dealing with 24 hour pain. Kimmio...we have drivers like you described, along with the near misses. My husband now walks with a crutch in hand because of his pain issues and mobility instability. Twice now, he has rapped the hood of a car with the crutch as the car almost hit him. (Before the crutch, he used to use his fist!) If a car is that close, when the walker has the right of way....there's a problem!

I'm not a great pumpkin carver, but my son is. Although he lives in a different city, he is staying with us for awhile and going to school...last step before writing the final test to become a pipefitter. And we have a giant pumpkin sitting outside that our other son grew. So, thanks to two sons, we might have an awesome jack-o-lantern this year!

Good morning! Happy Tuesday! The coffee cart is ready. Come help yourself.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

Are Tuesdays happy until we get to the hump Deis ... a barrier? May deform to Dei Tye ... as dark words do! Demonstrating ethereal mystery ... and perhaps vapours in the great mother theory! Nebuli ...

Back