Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

What's the library now? Is the building still there and being used?

Still the Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. In my librarian days, I worked for the Wentworth Libraries, a similar regional system that serviced the communities around Hamilton (Stoney Creek, Ancaster, various towns and villages in Glanbrook and Flamborough). It got rolled into Hamilton Public Library as part of amalgamation/restructuring.

I really appreciate the library system in SK. It covers the entire province and my local library card is valid at every library in the province. Check out a book at one library and take it back to another. So convenient, especially when travelling. The reservation system is very efficient too and seems to be connected to other library systems. Once I asked for a book and it arrived at my local library from a small town in Newfoundland.

I really appreciate the library system in SK. It covers the entire province and my local library card is valid at every library in the province. Check out a book at one library and take it back to another.

There's been some consolidation in Ontario over the years (e.g. in Toronto and Hamilton due amalgamations, probably Ottawa, too). But I've never seen or heard any will to go to that level. Given that libraries get provincial funding, it would be nice to be able to use any card at any library but back when I was still in that world, we were actually charging people who didn't have a local address. The rationale was that the local tax contribution was much higher than the provincial one. Not sure if that is still going on or not. I know the relevant ministry mused about banning the practice at times.

Still the Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. In my librarian days, I worked for the Wentworth Libraries, a similar regional system that serviced the communities around Hamilton (Stoney Creek, Ancaster, various towns and villages in Glanbrook and Flamborough). It got rolled into Hamilton Public Library as part of amalgamation/restructuring.

I thought you were talking about the London library. Your descriptions fit for it too. I have many good memories of the LPL, especially the Byron branch.

What happened to the old downtown branch? Is the building still there and being used for something?

I thought you were talking about the London library. Your descriptions fit for it too. I have many good memories of the LPL, especially the Byron branch.

What happened to the old downtown branch? Is the building still there and being used for something?

They moved to Citiplaza (formerly Galleria) where they took over the old Bay store. It's a nice facility. CBC London has their studio in there among other cools things. The original building is now office space, I think, but I am not sure who is in it. Don't go to that part of downtown (or downtown in general) much.

Vancouver Island has a regional library system everywhere but in Victoria. I like that too. There is also the inter-library loan system which helps you access books from other libraries. I thought most libraries participated in that.

Vancouver Island has a regional library system everywhere but in Victoria. I like that too. There is also the inter-library loan system which helps you access books from other libraries. I thought most libraries participated in that.

That's always been run provincially here but I thought I heard Ford was going to cut funding for it. With the chaos around Covid, I have lost track of what he has done and what he just threatened to do.

We had a Carnegie library in Barrie, as well. It's an attractive building, which I remember very well, as a very early library member. Now the Barrie Art Gallery, which works quite well.

Something funny:
A couple is hiking through Germany using a camel as carrier. Residents are calling the police on them.( Germany rural areas- anything unusual will cause people to call the police). Source Berliner Tagesspiegel
View attachment 3871
I just noticed that the man and the camel seem to be wearing the same brand of shoes..
I bet their car is in the garage :ROFLMAO:

@Northwind @Mendalla I used all the Waterloo Regional libraries and Elmira was my favourite branch. Yes, I remember when I paid for each library card. The "bibliotheque" here is lovely. They have a separate arts library where lots of free creative classes happen (or did), like felting, button-making etc.

Good morning! Maybe what we need here are virtual art and crafts classes, to go with the books on the coffee table. Let us ponder that possibility as we partake of warm morning beverages.

C(_)/ c[_] c(_) c\_/

I guess having a camel would eliminate the need for backpacks. If nothing else, it would make a good conversation piece.

They have a separate arts library where lots of free creative classes happen (or did), like felting, button-making etc.

London has a "maker" area which has some cool stuff. 3D printer for public use and that sort of thing. It's downtown in the main library, of course. My local branch is Masonville and it's a fairly traditional library save for 8 or 10 desktop computers (though some of them are dedicated catalogue terminals or short use to keep them free for catalogue browsing). Ditto East London, the branch near my office, which shares a building with the Y's administrative offices and childcare centre.

London has a "maker" area which has some cool stuff. 3D printer for public use and that sort of thing. It's downtown in the main library, of course. My local branch is Masonville and it's a fairly traditional library save for 8 or 10 desktop computers (though some of them are dedicated catalogue terminals or short use to keep them free for catalogue browsing). Ditto East London, the branch near my office, which shares a building with the Y's administrative offices and childcare centre.
Here's an idea. Road trip to very small libraries in your province, take pictures, interview the staff and create a blog. Run with that kids.;)

Here's an idea. Road trip to very small libraries in your province, take pictures, interview the staff and create a blog. Run with that kids.;)
I like the older ones in villages run from Victorian houses. They usually have a new addition for wheelchairs. Ever been to Mt Forest? Elora's is nice too.

So here's a librarian story for you, except I wasn't actually a librarian yet. In 1985, while doing my BA and contemplating going to library school, I landed a summer job with the Ontario Library Service. I was supposed to be helping a librarian working for the Ministry of whatever it was back then plan a conference but one day, she asked me to help with a special event. A tornado had taken out the library in a small town and the OLS had offered her services to help run children's programs in a nearby church that survived. So I went along and spent a rather nice afternoon helping kids play library bingo or something like that.

Other notes on that summer:

I did get to go to the conference (in the following Autumn) as her assistant and got to meet Canadian author Kevin Major, having written his blurb for the program. I think I got him to sign one or two books for my little bro.

My boss made a big impression on me. She was a bright whirlwind of ideas who later worked with me at Wentworth for a spell. She was a Western grad (I think I met her once while I was there, too) and that played into my decision to go there rather than U of T, the other library school in our province.

That was the summer that the NDP and Liberals teamed up to topple a Tory minority in Queen's Park, making David Peterson the new premier. The swag bags for the conference were blue. There's a brief moment of tension as to whether the new minister would make us switch to red ones, but they didn't in the end.

The roofer is here! The roofer and two assistants.

I got mixed up on when Seelerman said to expect them. I thought it was next Saturday. But late yesterday afternoon someone delivered a large refuse bin. A bit later, another truck arrived with roofing materials, ladders and supplies. I asked them what time to expect them and they answered '7 o'clock in the morning.' So I was up, dressed and had breakfast. They arrived around 730 and got right to work.
' They are pleasant enough - probably in their 30s and 40s. But frankly, I don't see what crazy heart and Pilgrim were excited about. Give me a maritime lumberjack or fisherman any day.

Back