Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

All I supply is special cookies, virtually. IRL, it appears that I have a messy kitchen, and a backlog of 3 dozen butter tarts and one tin of special salve. We be trying.

BetteTheRed - that is a true gift of love.

I thought I'd write more but then decided that those few words said what I wanted to say.

It's a long story. When I was a child, I had a child, who I gave up for adoption. It was a very tangled story. We are friends now, he lives in Oz, but he asked me to describe the circumstances regarding his "coming to be". It runs four single spaced pages and took me half the day to write and organize. It helped me to straighten out some of my memories and clarified some stuff for me.

I think I have this:

Good morning! Did someone say cookie? Here are sine hot beverages to go with.
Hope there are lots of chocolate chip, and oatmeal raisin.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

Anybody like garlic scapes? Now's the time they're harvested in my area. I made some delicious pesto the other night using this recipe - but I'm not sure it's a good complement to Kay's rhubarb custard pie! 7 Things To Do with Garlic Scapes Recipe | The Crisper Whisperer
Too soon here, I haven't been out yet and yesterday I was just at the community garden but last time I did check they haven't even started here. I did make pesto last year.
I've found I can't be around raw onions, and then when my eczema exploded I suspected raw garlic was causing similar issues. Not eating, just it being in the air. I'm hoping deck pesto making will agree with me - where Chemguy does most of it.

So - we had a new experience today. About noon a truck pulled up outside and some guys hauled out rolls of canvas and some sturdy poles. These were lugged into the park where they quickly erected a large tent (like the ones used for weddings etc..) As it was chucking rain this seemed like a wise precaution for whatever was going to happen. Turned out to be a small and distanced funeral. Not many in attendance and they all fitted under the tent. Probably the first out door funeral in this town.

Too soon here, I haven't been out yet and yesterday I was just at the community garden but last time I did check they haven't even started here. I did make pesto last year.
I've found I can't be around raw onions, and then when my eczema exploded I suspected raw garlic was causing similar issues. Not eating, just it being in the air. I'm hoping deck pesto making will agree with me - where Chemguy does most of it.
To be clear, not that the garlic caused that problem, but seemed to aggravate it. I'm hoping skin much better controlled, so not totally raw to start with & being outside means it will be safe.
Did confirm, scapes are going, it's funny how quickly the take off, although they aren't at the curl stage yet. Looks like will have 2 separate dates for different types of garlic. And no scapes for Elephant Garlic I guess, I didn't think they did but I've never grown onions to know for certain.

And no scapes for Elephant Garlic I guess, I didn't think they did but I've never grown onions to know for certain.

Only the hard-necked garlics go to scapes. Which possibly confirms that Elephant Garlic are not considered hard-necked.

So, I was out weeding in the 'back 40', some corners of which are quite scary at present. Got into a mess of garlic mustard and hops and motherwort, also weeding in dappled sun for half an hour possibly dumb, and I don't know which my skin doesn't like, but I've got a wyrd combo of rash/welts on my arms that is very unsightly, and quite uncomfortable. And there are no nettles in that corner. I need a skin transplant, lol. I don't like the stuff I've got at all.

Ouch. My main worry is prickly stuff, between my own roses and various spiky bits of other plants, including some wild nettles. Can't say I've ever had rashes or anything like that. I have an old pair of winter gloves (lots of padding) to wear when I am working around the roses or pulling spiky weeds.

Nice hour-long bike ride tonight but I've decided the Thames Valley Parkway may be off my agenda for this year. The less travelled direction that I hoped to use turned out to be under construction. I knew they were extending it but thought it was supposed to be done last summer. So, somewhat reluctantly, I headed for the popular Gibbons Park section. Let's just say that when I wasn't dodging pedestrians and other bikes, I was dodging Canada Geese. Probably could have stood to wear a mask though I was never less than 2m from anyone for more than a few seconds or maybe a minute. Still had a good ride, but I'm debating what might time I could ride that trail without Gibbons being busy. Mornings, perhaps, but that isn't usually an option for me except on weekends. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off, though, to get a five day weekend (counting Canada Day) so maybe I can try a morning ride this week.

I've had rashes from plants before - my sister and I both broke out when strawberry picking at a U-pick, it used to be something my Grandpa liked for us to do when visiting.
Pruning tomato plants can be a problem too.
For my fingers, I feel like many gloves can actually make things worse as it grinds the bits that get in into the skin more.

Rashes and welts and hives, oh my!! Sounds like it's time for coffee.
The cart is ready.

C(_)/ c\_/ c(_) c[_]

Back