Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

We had beautiful weather today. After weeding my driveway for an hour, I loaded the kayak, stopped at the blueberry u pick on the way for an hour of picking 6 lbs of blueberries ($11.50) and paddled the lake for two hours. Blueberries are really early, so were rasberries which are just finished.
My own red currant harvest is also in the freezer ( anybody in Canada actually eats red currants?)
Feeling productive and still well rested through the physical activity. Tomorrow rain in the forecast and the chance to clean the house.

I used to throw the odd currant into my mouth. One of the relatives made something with them, forget what.

Good morning! Today is a holiday, for some reason. Whatever you may call it, enjoy it. As we contemplate berries and such, let us give thanks for such goodness, and the jams and baked goods that can be produced with them. Also for tea and coffee, the perfect go-withs. The cart is ready, he;p yourself.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

Inception is defined as a starting point for something ... can we conceive ending up in the same place without coming around?

There are folks that deny the concept of coming about and thus are lost ...

A story or myth could be built up on these sort of bones ... and therefore the meat of the story of wanderers! Eternal beasties ...

Well, it was a holiday, but not a stat, so my boss (let's call him economically motivated) decided to leave the store open, until 6 anyway (it's usually 9). So I worked today. Yesterday was my birthday, yet another in a year of "first X event" without the hippie. No home-made CD or DVD with my name on it. No dinner at Swiss Chalet (so I ordered take-out from there last night).

Well, it was a holiday, but not a stat, so my boss (let's call him economically motivated) decided to leave the store open, until 6 anyway (it's usually 9). So I worked today. Yesterday was my birthday, yet another in a year of "first X event" without the hippie. No home-made CD or DVD with my name on it. No dinner at Swiss Chalet (so I ordered take-out from there last night).
Happy belated birthday, Bette.
Do you find birthdays are getting less exiting as we have more of them as it was , lets say, 50 years ago?

Birthdays are much less exciting. However, the old guy always made an effort, usually home-made, a CD, a DVD (there were two really great live Tom Petty CDs prior to my road trip out west), a phone call at least, an overnight visit usually, a (usually recycled) card or postcard. Sometimes even a bunch of (reduced) flowers.

I still think it's a nice thing to be remembered on "your" day, compared to more universal holidays.

And my birthday, as a child, except in my own nuclear family, was sort of a non-event. It was a long weekend, always, and it seemed that my few friends usually went to their cottage/rental place that week. Barrie was a factory town, and many of them shut the last week in July and the first in August, or the last two weeks of July, extended by a day by the Civic Holiday. In my later years, it had become an excuse to spend some of my own money on myself at "Kempenfest", a long-running arts and crafts festival held around the waterfront here. It's been cancelled for two years now.

So, I had Swiss Chalet takeout for supper. One kid called, the other two I had FB convos with, my sisters texted me. FB was nice to me.

Good morning! As we contemplate the 'law of decreasing returns' of birthday thrills, esp. the first cycle in the absence of close friends and family, let us take solace on present company, and join together in hot beverages and conversations, in mutual support and understanding. All things are ready, the cart is up and open.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

(Note to self: we need more chocolate)

I had a wonderful birthday this year. Traditionally it hasn't been remembered in any way. This year I got two bouquets (hubby and younger daughter) a cake with candles (daughter in law) and a gathering of the clan that included my four kids, two in-law kids, two grandkids and one son's birth mother and partner. A birthday to remember!

My best friend had threatened to hang a line with bras across my front lawn on my 50 ties- which I avoided by being in Germany on that day. Now my 60 ties is coming up next year. Hope she doesn’t remember. I don’t mind flamingos or skunks.

Fruit vegetables compost are all attractive to the little rascals. Be thankful you don't have a dog prone to getting sprayed.

Good morning! Such a great discussion on alternatives to candles, to celebrate one's, ummm, chronological enhancements. I remember driving by a yard once, with about 50 lawn flamingoes. Quite a sight, wish I'd had a camera handy at the time (this was in the days before digital photography was widely available).
Anyway, the cart is up and running. Enjoy.

C(_)/ c\_/ c[_] c(_)

Good morning. We're off to a slow start today. We're heading to visit family in Cambridge then to the gathering today. We've started making plans for our return trip. Sadly no stop in Muskoka/Haliburton on the return trip. We will be seeing our Haliburton family in Peterborough area

Good morning! The day is new, the water for tea is boiling, the coffee is freshly brewed. Come and help yourself! Memories of gatherings, plans for weekends, etc. Here is the place to converse!

C(_)/ c\_/ c[_] c(_)

I am suffering withdrawal. My daughter and her two sons were here quarantined for two weeks and then an extra week of doing and visiting. My other son from Sudbury came to visit too with wife and baby. And the son that lives in town popped in often after quarantine. As did my sisters and their families. It was a beehive of activity and I decided that no house is completely happy with only two people in it (my opinion only!) The three year old was a hoot...so much fun to get to know. I called him a thinker and a bit of a stinker. I told my daughter that he might not be an easy child to raise: smart and headstrong. The oldest actually came to church with me...Everyone there remembers him when he was young and living at our place, and they made an appropriate fuss over him. The little one helped me pick raspberries regularly (ate most of them! but that was the plan). Today I picked alone. Sigh. Back to normal.

Back